Hey everyone. I've not been around much lately (busy looking for a job), and I also have not touched my guitar much for a while. Anyway, I'm looking to get some new gear soon, and I know that the guitar I'll be getting is a Strat (though, if I get a good-paying job before the end of September, it won't be the Mexican Standard I've had my eye on but a Levinson Blade Texas Standard!) but I am really stuck when it comes to the amplifier. I like my VJ, but it just doesn't offer the things I want it to. I've heard nicer clean tones, and nicer overdrive. Plus, it's not quite loud enough for what I want (I'm going to start playing small gigs soon, without the facility for micing the amp) so I was looking for something a bit bigger, say...15 watts or so.

Anyways, I came across this, and was wondering if it was any good? What the clean tone is like, and how nice it sounds when it's pushed hard. If anyone has any experience with one, I'd be grateful if you would share any information and opinions you have

Edit: Here's a link - http://www.guitarampkeyboard.com/options.php?id=73899

Thank you,

Denthúl
Last edited by Denthúl at Aug 23, 2007,
Anyone? If you don't know about these amps in particular, what about Sound City amps in general? Are they any good?
The old amps are amazing, I own a 1973 example and love it. Sound City went out of business in the 80s, but they have recently been revived by Arbiter and the name put on this new range of products. They seem very good for the price, but I have yet to try one. If they compare to the old ones (I don't think they'll be quite as good TBH, but they still seem good and at good prices too) they should be great.
Like I said though, I really want to try one. I'll wait till the Sound City site says the UK dealers then I can go try some out!

EDIT: Is that the REAL Bury in Lancashire? Or Bury St.Edmonds?

EDIT2: The old Sound Citys are great amps, and mine (L120) has great cleans, but won't break up until it is REALLY pushed, so a pedal is needed to push them. I should think the new ones don't stay clean for as long, and I assume they have more breakup.
Double Neck Project - Winner of 2006 GB&C "Best guitar build from scratch", "(Best) Most expensive build" and "Best Idea" awards - FINISHED!

Member #2 of the UG Luthier's club. PM AlGeeEater to join.
Last edited by Calum_Barrow at Aug 24, 2007,
They're new out - I don't think anybody's tried one. Sound City used to make amps before turning into Hiwatt, who you may have heard of - they're known for having great cleans and alot of headroom, I think Hendrix used one at one point too.

But these new ones are a bit of an unknown quantity...If you ever try one, make a thread on here describing it! It could be the next VJ. I'm willing to bet that they will be purely Classic Rock amps at max though.
The Laney Thread are big and clever. No exceptions.
They look pretty damn good, find one you can try out, then decide. I've got a feeling Music Ground will have them in soon.
"Breathe, breathe in the air
Don't be afraid to care"

Fender Strat/Tokai LS80>few pedals>Orange Rocker 30
Yeah, that is the REAL Bury The one with the 'world famous' market xD

Good to hear that Sound City amps are known to have good cleans - that's what I'm after. Pushing it with a pedal wouldn't be a problem, because I'd most likely be using one a lot anyways, and I'd probably have a Big Muff too. I'm after the cleans

If I try one (which I am hoping to, but I need to find a dealer close by that has one in) I will definitely make a thread for you to read, though I've never really reviewed something before so it'll be a good challenge for me.

Thanks for the replies
^When the mets work again, you can get a met to town, get off near Oxford road and walk down there. They've got Hiwatt amps too in Music Ground, which are similar to Sound City amps.
Don't be afraid to care"

I think I just might do that. I've never heard of Music Ground before... But I'll definitely be taking a trip down there some time in the future
It's right near Sound Control and Johnny Roadhouse.
Damn mets!
Don't be afraid to care"

Ah, okay. I'll have to pop into Sound Control as well... I want to see if those Grainger amps are the same as Epiphones (in terms of sound and build quality) because they're a damn sight cheaper... You could get their version of the So-Cal, plus a cab, for £400... Not that I'd be buying it.
Last edited by Denthúl at Aug 24, 2007,
Quote by Denthúl
Ah, okay. I'll have to pop into Sound Control as well... I want to see if those Grainger amps are the same as Epiphones (in terms of sound and build quality) because they're a damn sight cheaper... You could get their version of the So-Cal, plus a cab, for £400... Not that I'd be buying it.
They are the exact same amp, just rebadged.
Oh, really? Well, saves me a job then. Thanks MrCarrot

Edit: Would the amp take well to pedals? Only reason I ask is that occasionally I will want to play something heavier. I'd be looking to get the sort of sound that the Black Mages have, though this is probably too much to ask for, even with pedals... doesn't matter if I can't recreate the tone, that would only be a bonus, and I'm not willing to compromise the good cleans of an amp just to play through a few songs every now and again.

This is an example of the tone: http://media.putfile.com/BM-BB

Though the lead tone from Hunter's Chance would probably be a better example, or the end solo from Dancing Mad.
Last edited by Denthúl at Aug 24, 2007,
i had an old 120w mk3 sound city amp from '71, let me tell you Sirs, that was the loudest amp i have ever heard, i couldnt get it past 8 - and it NEVER broke up! wow - except it was the worst in terms or reliability - i mean, a built in power lead!!? wtf!?
Well, the one I'm looking at is 20watts, and for home use I'd probably stick a Weber MiniMASS attenuator on it and crank it a little
for 20watts you can easily crank it, unless youre neighbours are in their grey years heading for the grave
That and my parents are not fond of the Valve Jr. being cranked without me borrowing an attenuator from someone...
I can only really let my Valve Junior loose when my parents are out..Even then I'm not really a fan of doing it too much as although it's much better than SS amps in that range I still find it to be a bit unpleasant cranked. Too bright.
Quote by Denthúl
Yeah, that is the REAL Bury The one with the 'world famous' market xD

Nice one, I'm over in Rossendale, near Rawtenstall. I go to Read Franklin and Heywood quite a bit for guitar stuff (my first electric came from there)

I should think it won't be long before Sound Control on Oxford Road, Manchester has them in. When they do, I'm going looking, at I'll go to Music Ground too, as if it's the one I'm thinking of (there's one in Leeds) I haven't yet been since it opened.
Double Neck Project - Winner of 2006 GB&C "Best guitar build from scratch", "(Best) Most expensive build" and "Best Idea" awards - FINISHED!

Member #2 of the UG Luthier's club. PM AlGeeEater to join.
Aye, it's a nice shop. Not been in for a while, though - I haven't needed to buy anything. Well, it'll be some time until I get to try one of these things out, because I'm spending most of my time typing letters of application and going out looking for work. Might plan a weekend just for trying out new gear some time next month though.