Alright..I think I'm beginning to stand the concept of different intervals...but how do you go about flatting and sharping scales/intervals and are these different types of intervals what lead onto scales?

And also, if a scale is a seres of set intervals like half, half, half, whole, whole, half etc.. how does a key effect it? If a Major scale were in say...F, wouldn't that **** up the seres of intervals?
I'm gonna drive all night, take some speed. I'm gonna wait for the sun to shine down on me. I cut a hole in my roof in the shape of a heart snf I' goin' out west where they'll appreciate me"

Click this if you like men!
As for your last question, no, it wouldn't. A scale is basically a pattern of intervals. If you play a major scale in F, then it is F G A Bb C D E. The intervals are exactly the same as if you played it in C (C D E F G A B).
Quote by troyponce
As for your last question, no, it wouldn't. A scale is basically a pattern of intervals. If you play a major scale in F, then it is F G A Bb C D E. The intervals are exactly the same as if you played it in C (C D E F G A B).

Alright..thanks. And also, when you've simply got the pattern, how do you know when its appropriate to transfer to the next string?
I'm gonna drive all night, take some speed. I'm gonna wait for the sun to shine down on me. I cut a hole in my roof in the shape of a heart snf I' goin' out west where they'll appreciate me"

Quote by zwart_gitaar
Alright..thanks. And also, when you've simply got the pattern, how do you know when its appropriate to transfer to the next string?

Whatever is comfortable for you really. It's pretty standard to keep to two or three notes per string for scale runs on guitar. Assuming you're just going from the root up an octave here is how I do it: For ionian, lydian, and mixolydian, I play two notes, move a string, three, move, three. Phrygian, aeolian, and locrian I play three notes, move up a sting, three, move, two. Dorian I play three notes, move, two, move, three. These are just my habits, I developed them years ago when I started on a six string bass, so streching out on one string wasn't really too easy. You can try that for practice or do your own thing.
Alright and just confirming this. All the different names for intervals are where the names of scales and chords derive from?