can someone tell me the difference between distortion and overdrive, is overdrive like a boost for a solo?????
yeah what red strat said...

i dunno i guess distortion is more for metal and stuff

OD more for rock, blues and stuff?

flame me if im wrong

oh and red strat join my lefty group!
Everybody Loves Lefty..

Lefties Unite!

Melodic Thrash Metal and winners of the Wacken Metal Battle Canada and 2nd Place Runner Ups for Wacken Metal Battle International

PROFANER
Distortion is more "solid state", in that the signal is multiplied and literally becomes distorted through clipping, the same idea as getting distortion from your gain/volume knobs.

Overdrive is more "valve state", in that it pushes the valves over their threshold literally overdriving them giving you a similar sort of distortion you get from turning up your gain knob on a solid state.

This doesnt really make sense but I hope it helps anyway.

A distortion pedal is ideally suited on a Solid State amp, an overdrive pedal is ideally suited on a Valve State Amp.
Bring back Tabo
OD is used for lighter rock and a tube boost (hence tubescreamer). Distortion is used for a different sound and for a switch more between clean and distorted. Distortion is used alot more for crunchy and stuff, and overdrive is used for smoother stuff and a more classic rock sound.