Hey,

I've been playing guitar for just over two years now, and I'm not that sure where to go. I had a teacher for about a year but after he taught me a couple of scales, he was just teaching me songs which I found boring so I quit.

Now, my problem is, my improvisation and versatility around the fretboard. Literally the two scales I know are Minor pentatonic and Minor Blues Pentatonic. (Sorry if I got those wrong.)

I really want to put my wrongs right and learn some more scales, maybe some complicated chords, learn theory etc. I know you must hear this all the time and I'm sorry.

So basically, what I'm asking you is this :-

1. I want to stay as a sort of blues rock guitarist, such as Slash for instance, but without using the Minor pentatonic scales too much.

2. Could someone please try and explain to me how one would work their way through the fretboard whilst staying in the right key to improvise/solo? I always see these guides saying " MASTER THE FRETBOARD AND SOLO ALL OVER IT WHILST PLAYING TO THE KEY OF C" but they never seem to make sense to me.

3. Any real ideas where I should go to advance in guitar other than what I've stated? I want to get better but I'm not up for getting a teacher just now.

Thanks so much.
all-guitar-chords.com and look up scales, helps you a bit

Also learn modes (Ionian, Locryan, Phrygian etc)
And learn the harmonic minor patterns.

Just go with the flow learn as much as you possibly can.
Well to be honest what it all comes down to is learning every note on the fretboard then learning all the notes that are in certain scales. But that's easier said than done, and is probably something you can do as you go along. Anyway if you havent already, learn some basic-intermediate theory and start getting into modal stuff and learning how that works. Dont worry as much about sight reading, but focus more on the modes of the major scale, how they work, and that general area. I would explain it to you here but that would take a really long time. Generally as blues rock your going to be mostly sticking with the pentatonic scales, with a few notes from composite scales and stuff but mostly that. Also if you havent already, learn the 5 positions of the minor pentatonic scale along the neck, as well as how the major pentatonic works and root notes. You could probably find this stuff all on the internet somewhere, or you could buy a book, but really what it all comes down to is becoming a better musician, which will in turn make you a better guitarist. Hopefully that sort of guided you in the right direction.
Quote by zalak
Fellatio, isn't that when you suck your OWN penis?
If ur stuck, find someone who is better than u, but not much better. learn from them. Learn some of Page's stuff and methods, he is a great blues-rock guitarist. and i mean other than Srairway. Black Dog and Rock n Roll are great songs to learn. Whole Lotta Love is also good. Jack White is also a great blues guitarist, watch some of his live improv stuff. Blues scale is probably the easiest scale to solo all over the fretboard with, try doing that.
I can give an example of playing in different parts of the fretboard in the key of E..."hideway" is a cool song to learn and has awesome riffs as well...this song is a must learn in my book...it can help you see how you can play in the key of E in different spots on the neck...you will also notice that most of the notes are the same just in different octaves sometimes and of course used in a different pattern/riff.

hope that helps

Hideway by the bluesbreakers featuring eric clapton.
http://1000watts.proboards21.com/index.cgi?board=GUITARTABS2&action=display&thread=1153951236
Go to this page to hear my original song recordings

Click Here
I'm having the exact same problems (I've played the same amount of time and know the exact same scales). The advice I've gotten is to learn note names so that you can do them fret-note and note-fret as fast as possible, which will help learning scales and moving up and down the fretboard.
Gibson Les Paul Classic
Traynor YCV 50 Custom Blue

Quote by Dee'snutz
YES! you, Dazed/confused, are a genius. my thanks to you, good friend
Quote by D_Vincent
I can give an example of playing in different parts of the fretboard in the key of E..."hideway" is a cool song to learn and has awesome riffs as well...this song is a must learn in my book...it can help you see how you can play in the key of E in different spots on the neck...you will also notice that most of the notes are the same just in different octaves sometimes and of course used in a different pattern/riff.

hope that helps

Hideway by the bluesbreakers featuring eric clapton.
http://1000watts.proboards21.com/index.cgi?board=GUITARTABS2&action=display&thread=1153951236

I read the tab, and I was doing fine understanding that it was in E when I saw 9th fret being played on A and whatever, but then I saw an open on B and 2 on high E? How is this in the key of E?
Or am I not meant to be regarding to the minor pentatonic scale? But in my book those notes aren't in E :S

I'm a noob
Quote by BlackMist
I read the tab, and I was doing fine understanding that it was in E when I saw 9th fret being played on A and whatever, but then I saw an open on B and 2 on high E? How is this in the key of E?
Or am I not meant to be regarding to the minor pentatonic scale? But in my book those notes aren't in E :S

I'm a noob

For the notes to be in E they have to be in the key of E, meaning they have to be in the scale, liek if I was playing the E pentatonic, open strings would all be in the scale, BUT that doesnt restrict all open strings to one scale, if you get me.

Also scales arent strict, you can go out of the shapes as much as you want you dont have to stick to scales it can sound better if you hit a note that isnt in the scale every so often.
Ok, thanks.

So to sum this up, what do I need to do ?

(sorry about this)
Haha its okay, just learn some scales, memorise them and I guess play to metronomes/backing tracks, liek get the Little Wing backign track (hendrix) and just play in E all over that, it's fun I do it a lot.
And remember dont styfle your creativity, always think new, dont always go form one string to the next, make string leaps, use odd timings (learn those later though) etc.

Just keep practicing.
Quote by BlackMist

I'm a noob

The whole song isnt in the key of E...the majority of it is...the part your referring to is in B then A i believe...your basic blues progression.

Its a good song to learn though.
Go to this page to hear my original song recordings

Click Here