I was at Guitar Center and I was looking at the Epiphone LP and SG. I picked up and played the SG without an amp and when I played low power chords, after about a second of the chord playing, the sounds make a weird low twangy hummy sound and continues it throughout the end of the chord. I can't really describe it well, I hear the same noise when you play a note on bass and slightly lift your finger from the fret (on my bass anyway).

If you know or do not know what noise I'm trying to describe, say so plz.

If you know what I'm talking about, is the guitar supposed to do that? Or is it the tuning, strings, or the guitar that sucks?
fret buzz? are the strings rubbing the frets?
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
Quote by jj1565
fret buzz? are the strings rubbing the frets?
I guess, it's a buzzing sound that happens when you play while pressing on frets
most of the time it's either because the player isnt pressing correctly, or the action (string height) is a little low.

usually easy to fix.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Quote by jj1565
most of the time it's either because the player isnt pressing correctly, or the action (string height) is a little low.

usually easy to fix.

What do you mean by the string height is low? And I dont think it was my fault because when I played on the Epiphone LP, it didn't do that.
the distance between the fretboard and the string. that's action.

so if the strings are too close to the board, they can buzz when u fret them.

lots of guys like low action, (the strings really close to the board) cause they feel they can play faster, but too low and ull get fret buzz.

anyway, it's all handled with a good guitar setup.

when buying a guitar, make sure it's not buzzing when u leave the shop. make sure they set it up for u first.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62

Quote by jj1565
the distance between the fretboard and the string. that's action.

so if the strings are too close to the board, they can buzz when u fret them.

lots of guys like low action, (the strings really close to the board) cause they feel they can play faster, but too low and ull get fret buzz.

anyway, it's all handled with a good guitar setup.

when buying a guitar, make sure it's not buzzing when u leave the shop. make sure they set it up for u first.

ok thanks
no problem. most of the time it's just one screw turn, so feel free to ask if u ever need adjustment help.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62