I was looking at the Epiphone Les Paul and the SG, and I think they are both the same price. What is the difference between the two in sound and playability? Also, I will use the guitar to play purely any kind of rock and no blues or jazz or anything, for whatever that's worth to my decision.
epi sgs disgrace the gibbys, the lps are of much higher quality
Les paul
"If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving is not for you"

Originally Posted by shreddin_frets
I've never played guiar before. Is it communist?
if it's special than neither, they both suck just as much, but stay away from epis if you can
Gear:
Jackson DKMG Dinky (EMG 81/85)
Ibanez GIO (i put a Dimbucker in the bridge)
Crate GT65 (65 watts) to be upgraded soon, suggestions welcome (must be tubed)
Floor Pod (for sale)
i have a les paul and love it. i would never play anything else
On this last beat,

my heart will freeze.

we'll end in harmony.

Quote by Thornography
I usually get lost after 3 words... maybe it happens to others.
Les paul. It's more versitale. While it may not be able to go as treble-ish as an SG, it can do trebles well. SGs do trebles very well, but aren't to good with the low crunch. If you're all rock and shred and other high-end, high-gain stuff, the sg is good for you. For more variety, go with the LP.
Jesus for president. PM me to join the campaign. or just sig it.

Of course God has a sense of humor. Look at the Platypus...

Member #9 of the Trumpet Players' Alliance, PM E V H 5150 to inquire about joining.
Quote by cashewchaching
Les paul. It's more versitale. While it may not be able to go as treble-ish as an SG, it can do trebles well. SGs do trebles very well, but aren't to good with the low crunch. If you're all rock and shred and other high-end, high-gain stuff, the sg is good for you. For more variety, go with the LP.

thanks, that was prolly the most helpful comment so far
i played my dads SG,then bought a les paul...the LP has a thicker, fuller tone...i like it much better then the SG
Paul Reed Smith CE22
Fender Spalted Maple HH Tele
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Korg Pitchblack
Boss GE-8 Graphic EQ
Dunlop ZW Wah
BBE Two Timer
Mesa/Boogie Mark IV Combo
Mesa/Boogie Rectifier 212

www.myspace.com/shapesofgrey
What's your price range and what amp do you have?
Recognized by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
Quote by utsapp89
^I'd let a pro look at it. Once you get into the technicalities of screws...well, it's just a place you don't want to be, friend.
In my experience with LPs and SGs, the LPs tend to be better for rhythm work and the SGs are better for lead work.
The neck placement versus the body is what makes the most difference for me... The SG's upper frets are in a more comfortable position, whereas the LPs lower frets are in a more comfortable position.
When playing an LP sitting down, I always feel like my hand is too close to my leg. Look at the bodies of the two, and where the part you rest on your leg falls versus the neck and the pickups and you'll see what I mean.
Epiphone Les Paul goldtop (EMG 81/85)
Epiphone Les Paul Custom
Fender Telecaster MIM
Epiphone SG Special
Jay Turser JT200 Serpent (GFS Crunchy Rails/Crunchy Pat)
Dean V-Coustic
Ovation Celebrity
Bugera 333-212
Crate Blue Voodoo 120H
Aren't Epi G-400s made in China now? I tried a couple of em out before and was not impressed with them. The LPs should at least be made in Korea.

Only real benefits I see in an SG are lighter weight and better upper fret access, but if its made in China its not worth the price they are charging.
Les Paul. They're better quality, have better tone, more sustain, and they may be heavier, but they are at least well-balanced. And they look better, and its more comfortable sitting with them, because the neck of an SG is too heavy compared to the body.
Metal Forum Popular Vote Winner!!!

Quote by webbtje
Quote by dead-fish
And you're obviously here because you fancy Phill.
Phill is a very attractive guy...

"I'm so tempted to sig that, Phill" - Sig it then

Unless otherwise stated, assume everything I say is in my opinion.
les paul!
Gear

- Epiphone Les Paul
- SX Strat (w/ Fender Vintage Noisless Pickups, TBX Control, and an active circuit board for +25dB mid boost)
- Marshall DSL40C
SG!!! just cause they are so much easier to play!
Quote by iloveboobs99
what im a pig bcuz i like boobs. Ok who here like boobs! just wonderin. i do

Quote by Shoestick
Never has there been a time more in need of a smiley that pops a boner.

tee hee

check this out 4 real
My G-400 is really quite nice to play, so, I went with one of those.
No gods, no countries, no masters.
More guitar, less Ultimate-Guitar.
Be Serious.
Shorties represent!
Ibanez SZ520/Ibanez ORM-1/Ibanez RG7321/Pocket POD/Crate GX/Boss HM-2
Quote by crust_punk
The G400 is all mahogany, so go for it...
So are most Epi LP's now aside from the 100, Junior and Special. Epi stopped using the old mahogany/alder mash they're infamous for a few years ago, they only still list them because some older instruments are still in prime circulation. All newly-made instruments now though (and for the last year and a half) have been made entirely from the same materials as the 'proper' Gibson version, which for the most part means solid mahogany all-round.

Anyway, assuming you're talking a Epi LP Standard vs the G400 which is the Epi Sg most people choose, I'd say... they're about the same. LP is more flexible, SG has easier high fret access.
Really though I'd save up a bit more and get an Epi LP Custom if I were you.
Quote by bokuho
So are most Epi LP's now aside from the 100, Junior and Special. Epi stopped using the old mahogany/alder mash they're infamous for a few years ago, they only still list them because some older instruments are still in prime circulation. All newly-made instruments now though (and for the last year and a half) have been made entirely from the same materials as the 'proper' Gibson version, which for the most part means solid mahogany all-round.

Are you SURE? This makes all the difference in what guitar i'd get next.
Fender Lite Ash Tele/Hamer SATF<--Korg DT-10<Zvex Super Hard On<Digitech Bad Monkey<MI Audio Crunchbox<Pro Co "Keeley" Rat<Line 6 M13<<--Marshall JTM60 1x12 Combo
Neither of those guitars (Epi SG or Les Paul) is an upgrade from the Ibanez ARX100. If you get the Epi send the ARX to me.
Quote by bokuho
So are most Epi LP's now aside from the 100, Junior and Special. Epi stopped using the old mahogany/alder mash they're infamous for a few years ago

Where did you read this? Or did you see it yourself?