So, I just completed building my computer, and I need to put an operating system on it.

I have a .iso for Windows on this computer (a different one), but I don't know how to create a bootable CD from it. Any help? Please?
just get someone to give you a cracked windows disk... or if you havent already wiped the os from the comp use dameon tools and get the iso off that...
Quote by Pilots
Discrepancy: While at 110 KIAS and 35 deg AOB with full right pedal, trims would not keep helicopter in correct Outer roll loop.

Corrective action:
Could not duplicate on ground. 11A799. NPPC
get linux if you know computers, or you coulda just bought a mac
Gear:
Jackson DKMG Dinky (EMG 81/85)
Ibanez GIO (i put a Dimbucker in the bridge)
Crate GT65 (65 watts) to be upgraded soon, suggestions welcome (must be tubed)
Floor Pod (for sale)
dude...use alcohol 120% that works or daemon tools like the other guy said to create a dvd of the .iso image...I did it with Windows Vista .iso, I used alcohol 120%
Epiphone LP
Johnson Strat Copy(first guitar)
Epiphone Dr 150 Acoustic
Vox Valvetronix AD30VT
Digitech Jimi Hendrix Experiance pedal
Boss DS-1 Distortion
Digitech RP50
ElectroHarmonix Metal Muff
I plan on dual booting Windows and Linux. I might by a Macbook so that I can be fluent with all 3 OSs (I'm a computer science major). I don't particularly want to buy a Mac right now because they're really overpriced (IMO). However that still doesn't solve my problem.

I don't know anybody with a cracked Windows disc.

I have the .iso and I want to make a bootable cd with it. How do I do it?
Quote by gibsonpenguin

I don't know anybody with a cracked Windows disc.

seriously...
wow i have like 5 rangin from 200 to vista pro... wow guy really though wow. well honestly you dont need it "cracked" persay, you just need one, the regestration is a load of ****, trust me im runin windows xp enterprise (its like pro but with better configuring) and ive had it for 7 months now and i never registered it, just make sure to watch what happens on the instal and look out for anything that says register... it works trus me. other than that for daemon tools go to quick launch and right click it go to virtual cd rom and then mount a drive for the .is and you should be set to go ust open it and go for it...
Quote by Pilots
Discrepancy: While at 110 KIAS and 35 deg AOB with full right pedal, trims would not keep helicopter in correct Outer roll loop.

Corrective action:
Quote by ChaoticVengence
get linux if you know computers, or you coulda just bought a mac

or noppix that is linux on a disk, prettey kool get to **** with people alot with that ****...
Quote by Pilots

Corrective action:
Be as surprised as you want.

From what you say it sounds like you think I want to install it on this computer, which I don't.

I have a new computer, that I just built, with nothing on it.

I have the .iso on this computer, and I need to burn it onto a cd so that I can put it in the other computer and install it.
.iso is an image of a cd, so if I were you I would just use something like Nero or a burner that can open .iso's to burn it to disc.

On your new pc, it should ask if you want to boot from cd, if not, then go to the boot priority in bios and put cd up there.

Also, if I were you, I would have 2 partitions on my HD so Windows goes on one and Linux goes on the other. Windows will ask you if you want to make partitions and where to install it. I don't know if you know about those.

Did you get your power supply cables sorted out then?
Quote by codynw42
i am stupid enuff to do it becuz i just did. i feel nothing, there is no high and im not dizzy or anything... its just nasty.

Ryu Hayabusa of the UG Society of Ninjas
Yeah, I got a new PSU. (I didn't think anybody would remember that thread, haha)

I knew a little about partitions, but not very much... Could I just make a partition later when I'm ready to install Linux? I wanted to get my documents and stuff on there first.
I'm not sure. If you can make a partition smaller then maybe, but I don't think you can w/o deleting it.

It's possible that you won't even have to worry about it and when you install Linux, it will ask you which OS to use before starting. (Somebody know more about it? I'm not a Linux user.)

I would just split the HD into 2 partitions, but I'm just one opinion.

Create part.>choose size. Create another>choose size.
Quote by codynw42
i am stupid enuff to do it becuz i just did. i feel nothing, there is no high and im not dizzy or anything... its just nasty.

Ryu Hayabusa of the UG Society of Ninjas
Quote by whenshoesattack
.iso is an image of a cd, so if I were you I would just use something like Nero or a burner that can open .iso's to burn it to disc.

On your new pc, it should ask if you want to boot from cd, if not, then go to the boot priority in bios and put cd up there.

This.

Burn the ISO to a disc. Put the disc in the other computer's drive. It should prompt you as to whether you want to boot from the CD, otherwise, go into the BIOS (hit F8 during startup) and change the boot order so that the optical drive is first.
Here's a free program to burn ISO's...well not program per sé, but it adds an option to burn when you right click an ISO: http://isorecorder.alexfeinman.com/isorecorder.htm

If it's just an ISO image, then it should be burned as a bootable CD.

If you want to install some flavor of linux also, you don't have to partition now, but I would recommend you set it up before transferring all your data (especially if you have a lot).

Here's how I partitioned a couple of my computers with windows / linux dual boot:
[Windows NTFS] | [Shared Data Area FAT32] | [Linux - Extended partition with a "/boot", "/home", "swap", and "/" partition inside it]

The shared partition makes it easier to access data between Linux and Windows (they have issues with each other, but FAT32 is a good filesystem that both know). The extended partition with a bunch of stuff in it might be confusing, but it's convenient if you need to ever reinstall the OS; however, most modern distros will set it up their own way and you'll be fine with that.

You don't have to separate it up like that, I just find that the most convenient... A good partitioning tool is GParted LiveCD (google it and burn the iso to a cd, boot from it).

If you need help with linux, there are a bunch of great forums, how-to's, and etc. out there that'll help out.

Also, if you wanted to have Mac OS X without a mac, there is a way to put it on your PC (illegal and requires a lot of determination). I won't say anything more about that though; if you're really determined, you can search for it. Buy a real mac though - the price isn't as much of an obstacle if you can get an educational discount.

Wow, long post... Hope you get something out of that.