I've been playing guitar for about 7 months. I am 14 years old, and i take guitar lessons for about 4 months.

What level should i be at? Or what would be a good or bad level according to how long ive been playing?

I can play, intro/solo to fade to black, and the main acoustic riff (the finger picking parts).
yeah it would of been a smart idea to make a video of you playing so we can see your level....god that was dumb....
umm lets see if youve been playing for 7 and had a teacher you should be able to sweep pick 32nd notes by now at 180 bpm with zero mistakes and improvising solos on the spot
Quote by erasmorpheous
umm lets see if youve been playing for 7 and had a teacher you should be able to sweep pick 32nd notes by now at 180 bpm with zero mistakes and improvising solos on the spot

Hmm, if thats true, then you must really suck sir.

Now threadstarter, everyone advances at a different rate, so it doesnt matter where you are. If you are happy with where you are at, good, keep on that track. If not, step it up. It all depends on how serious you want to get.
Quote by funkdaddyfresh
justin, that was easily the most inspiring, helpful piece of advice anyone has ever given me in regards to my musical pursuits.

Screaming Help
Quote by justin_fraser
Hmm, if thats true, then you must really suck sir.

Now threadstarter, everyone advances at a different rate, so it doesnt matter where you are. If you are happy with where you are at, good, keep on that track. If not, step it up. It all depends on how serious you want to get.

+1

ignore the other idiots, there are occasional assholes on this forum

its a very personal level, i know guys who have played for 3 years more than me, and yet are way behind me, i know guys whove played the same amount as me, and are about 2 years ahead of me, its all about the work you put into it, and how 'concentrated' that work is, eg, how particular you are with your practice, do you make sure every note has perfect technique, or do you let faults go
Quote by beadhangingOne
There is no music but metal and muhammad is its prophet.
Quote by erasmorpheous

Verb: shut up
1. Refuse to talk or stop talking; fall silent

Threadstarter, theres really no level that you need to be at. Continue to practice as much as you would. If you want to become better, step up. Like my friend Justin said, its a matter of how good you would like to be.
DANNY

Quote by kevinm4435 to some guy
hey d00d i herd u dont like shred u r a genius 4 thinkin dat. all shred is fukin lame wit no soul u no wat im sayin??
Well I guess i just want a general idea.

I'm into metalcore, hardcore, stuff like that.

I kinda want to know of something that i should try, something challenging, that someone at my level could do.

And where were you guys at after 7 months?
Erasmorpheous, are you trying to make fun of me? S hits weak man.

After 7 months I could play the intro to Exist to Exit by Arch Enemy, and a sloppy flight of the bumblebee.

Dont ask how others are doing, or anything. Its not a competition with anyone but yourself. Dont pay attention to how they are doing and compare yourself, it will make you feel bad at times.

You should at least be able to alternate pick now.

Even if you were being serious..If it took you 7 years to sweep pick 32nds at 180, youre taking forever
Last edited by insideac at Aug 24, 2007,
^you know whats weaker

and ignore his last comment, not everybody can sweep at insane speeds...
Quote by beadhangingOne
Quote by insideac

Even if you were being serious..If it took you 7 years to sweep pick 32nds at 180, you're taking forever

I think he meant 7 months and was making a joke.
Quote by EZLN libertad
^you know whats weaker

and ignore his last comment, not everybody can sweep at insane speeds...

yeah i can't really even sweep yet and i've been playing 13 years!!!..... i phayle

like everyone else said. you're your only competition. some people get it quicker than others. some practice more than others. some are born to do it while others have to practice hours a day to get semi decent (me) imo i think i have more respect for the people who want it so bad they play 6 hours a day than the people who it comes naturally to. just keep at it and take every inch of progress you gain, don't be uppity about it but be proud of what you can do. keep at it and you can get to wherever you want to be with it.

- these have been words of encouragement by the diabolical diabeetus -
Quote by z4twenny
yeah i can't really even sweep yet and i've been playing 13 years!!!..... i phayle

like everyone else said. you're your only competition. some people get it quicker than others. some practice more than others. some are born to do it while others have to practice hours a day to get semi decent (me) imo i think i have more respect for the people who want it so bad they play 6 hours a day than the people who it comes naturally to. just keep at it and take every inch of progress you gain, don't be uppity about it but be proud of what you can do. keep at it and you can get to wherever you want to be with it.

- these have been words of encouragement by the diabolical diabeetus -

+1. Ignore some of the morons who've been posting here.

It's all about yourself. Set goals for yourself do achieve. It'll force you to notice your mistakes and improve. Also, examine what styles you like, and learn from the techniques of the bands you like.

Oh, and being able to shred don't mean crap.
Quote by OtisB Driftwood
David Hassolhoff Is the god of death metal

Quote by Kantroce
What's that? I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

My gear
Schecter Tempest Custom
Peavey VK112
Fulltone OCD
Line 6 Verbzilla
Line 6 DL-4
Xotic Effects AC Boost
Rocktron Tri-Wah
Quote by Mobius Man
+1. Ignore some of the morons who've been posting here.

It's all about yourself. Set goals for yourself do achieve. It'll force you to notice your mistakes and improve. Also, examine what styles you like, and learn from the techniques of the bands you like.

Oh, and being able to shred don't mean crap.

Neither does knowing theory
Quote by insideac

Anyways...7 months I could alternate pick well, knew some scales, could play Unholy Confessions by A7X in full, could play intro to Snow (Hey Oh), and knew a few crappy solos.
i would like a follow up addendum, do set goals but i don't recommend setting a timetable for them . don't say "i have to do this within the next month" because eventually you'll hit something that you won't be able to do in a month and then it might grate on yer nerves. if you really want to set a time for it give yourself too much time, like i told myself back in march "sweepings hard, so i should be able to sweep kinda slowly within the next 12 months and i should be getting decent at it within the next 2 years" that way you don't feel forced to do it when you don't want to and also you won't kick yerself in the ass.

also i've seen many posts on here "i could play 16th notes at 160 bpm 2 days ago but now i can't whats wrong?" things like this happen, if you find yourself saying this simply realize that was 2 days ago chances are you may very well have been doing it wrong. i think once you learn a technique properly it's pretty much there and like riding a bike. you might need to warm up a little but it should still come to you with little or no effort.
At seven months, I think I was able to play two songs well. Under the Bridge by RHCP, and Fall to Pieces by Velvet Revolver. The solo on Fall to Pieces was still pretty rough for me at that time though.

To be honest, I never tell myself where I should or shouldn't be at. Sometimes I get disappointed when I'm having an off day or whatever, but music is music. I never had to plan my practice.

If you enjoy the instrument and the music you play, just keep going. Don't worry about the level you're at. If, however, you have all these plans and goals and whatnot to be at a certain level at a certain point, sooner or later you won't be able to hit that level.

I'd say, don't worry about your level until you get disappointed with where you're at. If you're not sure what level you -should- be playing at, it probably doesn't matter that much.
you should have at least half a dozen songs under your belt.

cause these past few months have been summer break for a 14 year old.. and with lessons for that long you should definitely be on your way to not needing to ask people online how good you are.

i took lessons for a month and all i learned was open A G C D E Am Em chords
Quote by insideac

insideac...we both know the irony of that statement....

(it's still an E7)
Quote by beadhangingOne
Quote by LouieKablouie77
I've been playing guitar for about 7 months. I am 14 years old, and i take guitar lessons for about 4 months.

What level should i be at? Or what would be a good or bad level according to how long ive been playing?

I can play, intro/solo to fade to black, and the main acoustic riff (the finger picking parts).

I dont think anyone can really give you an answer for this, which is probably the reason for the smart ass remark by erasmorpheos (which i have to admit made me LOL!). I'm sure you've heard the old cliche: " ask a silly question.. get a silly answer." ..I think thats where his remarks were coming from.

Where you should be is subject to opinion, and everyones answer will be different.
I would suggest not worrying about where you SHOULD be, and just enjoy playing and learning the guitar. If you love playing, and practice alot, you will keep getting better.
If you are good enough to enjoy what your doing...your exactly where you should be.
shred is gaudy music
Quote by GuitarMunky

Where you should be is subject to opinion, and everyones answer will be different.
I would suggest not worrying about where you SHOULD be, and just enjoy playing and learning the guitar. If you love playing, and practice alot, you will keep getting better.
If you are good enough to enjoy what your doing...your exactly where you should be.

Comprehension can take time and is very individual. Your rate of progress will vary by how much time you put in and your natural abilities and resources ( ie books, music, equipment, teacher etc) I've been playing almost 20 years. I spent my first seven months just learning open chords and power chords. The first songs I learned were Sweet Leaf and a poor version of Purple Haze.

A few quick suggestions for progress would be to record yourself to document your improvement or problem areas. Use a metronome when practicing. Practice a consistent amount of time everyday in a focussed manner. And most importantly have fun playing.
At 7 months I was learning a lot of theory, how to use modes, practicing said modes, and practicing random exercises. I could play cleanly at around 110 BPM in 16th notes, and was playing ridiculous looking string skipping stuff at a pretty brisk pace.
From what I've noticed from playing guitar is that you will never be good enough for yourself, everytime I tell myself I'll be happy at this point I start to want more, and it goes on and on and on and on.

You'll know when you can hold your own when it comes to jamming or writing music, but really it doesn't mean anything if you can play the pentatonic minor shape at x bpm when you can't apply it musically without sounding like a robot.
Don't judge yourself based on others, just play as clean as possible with as few mistakes as possible. I'll tell you a story.

My friend and I were in the same English class last year, and one day he had his guitar with him due to him having practice after school. We had a test that day, and afterwards the teacher let us chill, so he busted out his guitar and we played for the rest of the period. He and I, we'd been playing for almost the exact same amount of time, about a year and a half. He focused more on speed, I focused more on playing cleanly and learning theory. So we take turns showing off for the people in the class. I play the opening bit from "Upside Down" by Jack Johnson, then go into some improv work following those chords, staying below 8 nps the whole time. The girls loved it of course. Then my friend starts playing "Eruption," except it's so sloppy and rhythmically fucked, that no one in the class liked it and for that matter even recognized it. Two morals: Being able to play well is more important than being able to play fast. And, Jack Johnson gets you tail.