So whats the deal with baritone guitars?...(sorry for the bad seinfeld reference)
I've gone to the guitar shop and I've seen some and I was wanting to learn more about them. Like what is the "standard" tuning for them and how differently they paly from standard guitars.
thanks in advance
The scale is 27" or greater. They play the same as a standard six string, but the lower frets are slightly larger because of the extended scale. I don't tune mine higher than Drop B. The string tension makes me uncomfortable. It generally stays in B standard.
Epiphone LP Custom
Peavey VK 100/Supreme 100 Bi-Amp
Mesa 4x12

Squire P-Pass
GK 1001
GK NEO 4x12
Baritone guitars are usually tuned a fifth lower (A D G C E A), a fourth lower (B E A D F# B) or an octave lower.

from wikipedia
Quote by TDS
You know what would be awsome? A phone that doubled as a fleshlight that recharged power through kinetic motion.

"hold on guys my phone's dying."
*fap*
"Ok we're good."
Right, but there are some crazy (but great) guitarists that use higher tunings on them, like Die from Dir en grey, who has a baritone tuned to Drop C# (1/2 step down drop D) xDD
I don't wanna know how hard it would be to play on that axe xD
- Fender American Standard Ash Telecaster w/ DiMarzio Chopper T & Twang King
- Alhambra 5P
- Laney Lionheart L5T-112
- Line 6 POD XT
- Suhr Shiba Drive
- MXR Carbon Copy Analog Delay
- Dunlop Cry Baby
In theory you could play in any tuning on a baritone, as long as you have the right gauge strings. They normally come stock with something like 13's or so, but there is no reason why you cant tune up a bit with some lighter gauge strings, Robb Flynn from machine head tunes up to drop B on his baritone V.
A baritone basically allows you to have lower tuning with a lighter gauge of strings than you can on a normal guitar, because of the extended scale.
Rig Winter 2017:

Fender Jazzmaster/Yamaha SG1000
Boss TU-3, DS-2, CS-3, EHX small stone, Danelectro delay
Laney VC30-112 with G12H30 speaker, or Session Rockette 30 for smaller gigs
Elixir Nanoweb 11-49 strings, Dunlop Jazz III XL picks
Shure SM57 mic in front of the amp
Quote by Mahoru
Right, but there are some crazy (but great) guitarists that use higher tunings on them, like Die from Dir en grey, who has a baritone tuned to Drop C# (1/2 step down drop D) xDD
I don't wanna know how hard it would be to play on that axe xD

thats impressive!
dir en grey ftw!
Top lel.
But how do they sound? I've always wondered that. A downtuned normal scale guitar (e.g. Meshuggah) sounds a lot different from a bass guitar.
lol Meshuggah dont use a standard scale guitar, their custom Nevborns and Ibanez 8 strings are around 30" long to compensate for the low F# they use....the lowest i think ive heard they've gone is down to F.