So I'm selling my motorcycle, and I'm gonna get a little boost on money. The Fender Twin Reverb is what I really love, but I know it's single channel. My favorite tones are hard classic rock. Guns N' Roses, Aerosmith, Jimmy Page, Hendrix, Clapton. I know it was mostly Marshalls, but...

I was going to get a Fulltone distortion "unit" as well. I am the kinda guy that cranks my amp as high as it can go. So I know the amp is going to break up, but how much? Will it more of that overdriven sound with a Fulltone on stage?

I use a Gibson Les Paul standard.
I woke up this morning and I got myself a beer. The future's uncertain and the end is always near.

Quote by BlackIce87
I'm not gonna lie, goin' mobile looks like Sebastian Bach in the eighties.
your gona crank a 85(65?) wat tube amp? thats way to loud lol..
Sharing is caring
Fuck the RIAA

- Gear -
ESP LTD MH-400
Epiphone Les Paul
Vox AD30VT
Zoom G2.1u
well, the twin reverb isn't meant to break up. it's a clean clean amp. you should know that if you love it...

i haven't heard of anyone who's tried to crank their twin reverb, and for some reason, i can't see it sounding too pleasureable. i dunno why.
Gibson SG Standard + 18volt EMG-81 & 85
Mesa/Boogie Mark IV + Recto 2x12
Keeley Modded BD-2
Vox V847a
Quote by one vision
Bureaucrats gonna crat.

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
dude Twins do have a disto channel. It's actually note that bad either. Twins are known for being able to just take them to a gig and not need anything else but the amp. But its up to ofcourse
ENGL Screamer 50
Schecter Hellraiser FR
Boss GT-8

Quote by stef123
What's worse than eating an apple and finding a worm inside?

Being black.
Quote by fade2black_69
dude Twins do have a disto channel. It's actually note that bad either. Twins are known for being able to just take them to a gig and not need anything else but the amp. But its up to ofcourse

Actually no.

The 100 watt version [aka Red Knob] has a distortion chan. which is pretty useless.

The 85 watt reissue does not.

The Twin isnt meant to be cranked, it meant to stay perfectly clean with no overdrive.
It's meant to be taken and be plenty loud on it's own like you said, but it's meant to be that loud with no overdrive.
Member of UG Gain whores.
PM Gpderek09 to join!
i'd say deluxe reverb if u want that cranking sound from it... even though it doesn't distort too much.
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Custom Hand-wired Amplifiers and Effect Pedals.

Est. 2007

Source to everything I say about Guitars, Pedals, and Amplifiers: I make them.

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
Quote by UnsignedRecords
well, the twin reverb isn't meant to break up. it's a clean clean amp. you should know that if you love it...

i haven't heard of anyone who's tried to crank their twin reverb, and for some reason, i can't see it sounding too pleasureable. i dunno why.

Yes, it's a tube amp. It breaks up. You should know that.

I just saw Dr. John and his guitar player was using a twin reverb through a strat. It had a crunchy blues sound. Natural overdrive.
I woke up this morning and I got myself a beer. The future's uncertain and the end is always near.

Quote by BlackIce87
Quote by ECistheBest
i'd say deluxe reverb if u want that cranking sound from it... even though it doesn't distort too much.

+1

Much better for being dimed out.

Quote by Goin' Mobile
Yes, it's a tube amp. It breaks up. Yous hould know that.

i just saw Dr. John and his guitar player was using a twin reverb through a strat. It had a crunchy blues sound. Natural overdrive.

It's 85 watts to avoid break up. If you want break up you get a 30 watt combo so that you can max the amp out at a reasonable level. Not saying you can't crank a Twin, it's just not meant to be that way.
PM Gpderek09 to join!
Quote by Goin' Mobile
Yes, it's a tube amp. It breaks up. You should know that.

well he's talking about the single channel. and i'm assuming the reissue, which doesn't have a master volume.

and i wasn't saying it's not going to break up, but without an attenuator, it's gonna be near impossible to tolerate the volume.
Keeley Modded BD-2
Vox V847a
Quote by one vision
Bureaucrats gonna crat.

Quote by UnsignedRecords
well he's talking about the single channel. and i'm assuming the reissue, which doesn't have a master volume.

and i wasn't saying it's not going to break up, but without an attenuator, it's gonna be near impossible to tolerate the volume.

There we go :]

End of argument.

The basic story here is a Fender Twin isn't meant for a distortion unit.
IMO I wouldn't try and distort any Fender combo.

You can get a Mesa combo for the same price with better sounding gain.
PM Gpderek09 to join!
Yeah, but Mesa Boogies sound like complete sh*t, and I can't afford Marshalls. The Twin just sounds amazing.

A distortion unit wouldn't work?

How about the Cyber Twin SE? Does that sound alright when it's cranked?

Quote by BlackIce87
^a Blues Deluxe is 40w and it'll sound creamy when cranked. it would be closer to your genre than a twin reverb.
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Est. 2007

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
you could run a distortion pedal through a twin. keep in mind it's all ss clipping going on though.
what do you like about the twin?

and i'm not too familiar with the cyber twin thing, got a link?

edit: a big +1 to the blues deluxe.
Keeley Modded BD-2
Vox V847a
Quote by one vision
Bureaucrats gonna crat.

Quote by Goin' Mobile
Yeah, but Mesa Boogies sound like complete sh*t, and I can't afford Marshalls. The Twin just sounds amazing.

A distortion unit wouldn't work?

How about the Cyber Twin SE? Does that sound alright when it's cranked?

You an get a Marshall JCM900 for $800 at the most. I see them go for $650 all the time.

A distortion unit would work just fine, bu I just don't imagine the results sounding too good. That's my opinion though.

Why do you say Mesa boogie sucks?
Have you sat down with one for at least 4 hours to get the right settings?
They aren't plug 'n play amps, the EQ is active meaning each knob [bass, middle, treble] will affect what frequency the other knobs boost or cut, which can make it hard to get a good sound at first. People also think the gain has to be set at 10, which isn't true... You can set it at 12 o'clock on the red ch. and play metal.

The Cyber Twin SE is a modeling/SS amplifier. The tone degrades as volume increases.
PM Gpderek09 to join!
Last edited by chase312 at Aug 24, 2007,
^^it's a fender's Valvetronix (hybrid).
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Est. 2007

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
Quote by ECistheBest
^^it's a fender's Valvetronix (hybrid).

ahhh gross. haha, i kid, but for a decent budget, can't beat the blues deluxe.
Keeley Modded BD-2
Vox V847a
Quote by one vision
Bureaucrats gonna crat.

^for sure. Blues Deluxe is NICE. i love the creamy vintagey 50's-y tone.
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Est. 2007

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
mm, definitely my favorite fender so far. i wish i coulda cranked it though, ah that woulda been nice.
Keeley Modded BD-2
Vox V847a
Quote by one vision
Bureaucrats gonna crat.

^i like my Blues Jr. cranked too. but no, i don't have that SM57 yet... i'll get my paycheck friday, so i might pick it up on friday.

and i know it'll be a great investment.
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Est. 2007

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
ah damn, i forgot about those clips
the sm57 is a great mic.

but definitely looking forward to them though, hah.
Keeley Modded BD-2
Vox V847a
Quote by one vision
Bureaucrats gonna crat.

Hey guys, thanks for all your input. Yeah, if the TR can't break up, then it's probably not the amp for me. Unless I was Keith Richards in 1963.

Cyber Twin SE (there's also a video of it. Bottom right corner of the page):
http://www.fender.com/products/cyber/cybertwinse/home.php

I have played a Stilleto Ace, a Lonestar, a Triple Rectifier, and an Express. I played them alone in the store, and cranked them at about 4.5. I plugged into the Stilletto and immediately unplugged. I read a good review about the Express, so I plugged into that instead. I played for about 40 minutes on it, running through alot of songs in their entirety from "Appetite For Destruction." It has a muddy distortion that I thought sounded crappy. The clean was darn good though. I would dig it if the distortion was better. The Cyber Twin SE sounds much better though.

Quote by BlackIce87
Quote by UnsignedRecords

I think I was reading that Stevie Ray cranks his. In that Guitarist of the month thing.
FOR AWESOME HANDWOUND PICKUPS, CONTACT CorduroyEW
BOOBS
Quote by ratmblink123
Good for you. Have a cookie.

But really... there's no cookie. And if there was, you wouldn't get one.
Quote by Goin' Mobile
Hey guys, thanks for all your input. Yeah, if the TR can't break up, then it's probably not the amp for me. Unless I was Keith Richards in 1963.

Cyber Twin SE (there's also a video of it. Bottom right corner of the page):
http://www.fender.com/products/cyber/cybertwinse/home.php

I have played a Stilleto Ace, a Lonestar, a Triple Rectifier, and an Express. I played them alone in the store, and cranked them at about 4.5. I plugged into the Stilletto and immediately unplugged. I read a good review about the Express, so I plugged into that instead. I played for about 40 minutes on it, running through alot of songs in their entirety from "Appetite For Destruction." It has a muddy distortion that I thought sounded crappy. The clean was darn good though. I would dig it if the distortion was better. The Cyber Twin SE sounds much better though.

Not everyone likes Mesa. I felt the same way when I played a Dual Rectifier....
It's just either acquired over time, or not at all.

What size gigs would you be playing?
PM Gpderek09 to join!
Last edited by chase312 at Aug 24, 2007,
^^cyber twin is a hybrid amp. two 12AX7 in the preamp. i revolt against the solid states!!!
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Est. 2007

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
Quote by CORT noob
I think I was reading that Stevie Ray cranks his. In that Guitarist of the month thing.

how's he do that? attenuator? is it the deluxe reverb (22w)?

Quote by ECistheBest
^^cyber twin is a hybrid amp. two 12AX7 in the preamp. i revolt against the solid states!!!

blah, it's too expensive for my tastes. just not a big modelling person, i'd just feel like robot-esque.
Keeley Modded BD-2
Vox V847a
Quote by one vision
Bureaucrats gonna crat.

Last edited by UnsignedRecords at Aug 24, 2007,
Stevie Ray Vaughan actually uses a Vibrolux. He plays at full volume too.

Little theatres (clubs). I live in southern california, so theres lots of venues. Sizes like The Roxy, Galaxy, Whiskey, that kind of stuff.

Quote by BlackIce87
Why don't you try out the Fender Hot Rod DeVille, you can get a decent amount of crunch out of them as well as nice sparkling cleans. If the disto is not enough for you, pedals work fine with it...
ENGL Screamer 50
Schecter Hellraiser FR
Boss GT-8

Quote by stef123
What's worse than eating an apple and finding a worm inside?

Being black.
For what you play the Twin won't do it TBH.

I'd say an Orange Rocker 30 or Marshall JCM800 is what you need and will do the tones you want.
Quote by stratman_13
It's okay Gabel. You kick ass.

18watter video demo

My band

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2009
Quote by Gabel
For what you play the Twin won't do it TBH.

I'd say an Orange Rocker 30 or Marshall JCM800 is what you need and will do the tones you want.
Took the words right outta my mouth. A Rocker 30 would be absolutely awesome for that stuff, the clean channel is infact just natural - it's your guitar's tone unmeddled with, and the gain it has is just like that stuff you want.
The Laney Thread are big and clever. No exceptions.
^Yeah.

You can get Fenerd-y sounds out of it, I've gotten a great SRV tone.

The Twin is a REALLY bad choice for the music you play, but a Rocker 30 would suit you perfectly.
Quote by stratman_13
It's okay Gabel. You kick ass.

18watter video demo

My band

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2009
The Rocker's clean channel cranked is awesome. The cleans are rubbish until about 4 on the dial, when they gain depth and clarity. In the last 25% of the dial you get awesome overdrive. I dimed it and just couldn't help playing AC/DC riffs for an hour haha.
Ibanez PGM301
Ibanez GRG170DX
Fender Telecaster MiJ - 1986
Swing T-Through

Ibanez TS9DX
Sovtek Small Stone - c.1985
EHX Big Muff
Kimbara Wah - c.1974
Boss GE-7

Orange Rocker 30 Combo

http://www.myspace.com/paythelay
Either get a Marshall (one of those 18watt clones) or as someone else said, a Deluxe Reverb. I heard some guy play a Gibson LP through one, sounded orgasmic.
"Breathe, breathe in the air
Don't be afraid to care"

Fender Strat/Tokai LS80>few pedals>Orange Rocker 30
Yeah, the Twin might not be the best amp for you...what do you like about it?

I mean it can pretty much do any genre, but not really heavy stuff. It has a lot of headroom becuase it's notorious as a clean amp, you'd have to get it dangerously loud to OD it. I mean if you were into Blues or some slightly mellower rock, you might like it. But your not gonna get much natural OD from this beauty.

I mean...what you said isn't really that heavy, it could deffinately handle it with a distortion pedal or unit...just leave the volume at a moderate level...
HEY
Do you like anime/manga?
PM me about buying the graphic novels I'm trying to sell
Quote by Gabel
^Yeah.

You can get Fenerd-y sounds out of it, I've gotten a great SRV tone.

The Twin is a REALLY bad choice for the music you play, but a Rocker 30 would suit you perfectly.

It couldn't really be much worse of a choice, I mean if you try cranking it you'll drown out your entire band incredibly quickly, and damage your ears.
The Laney Thread are big and clever. No exceptions.
I'd suggest a Bassman 59RI - gets pretty close to the Marshall tone, or a Super Reverb RI - classic Fender tone, with reverb & tremolo.
Quote by mr_hankey
I'd suggest a Bassman 59RI - gets pretty close to the Marshall tone, or a Super Reverb RI - classic Fender tone, with reverb & tremolo.

These were to be my suggestions, but Mr. Hankey beat me by a few hours. If you can afford the Twin, you can afford these other very sweet, lower powered, Fenders. The Vibrolux and Deluxe Reverb would be worth looking into, too.
You Don't Need a halfstack.

You Don't Need 100W.

Quote by jj1565
i love you slats.
Cool! I like how the TR is a pure tube amp. Like the JCM 800. I liked the Deville, but it seems like the kind of amp that would thin out when you crank it.

Is the JCM 900 any good?

Quote by BlackIce87
a jcm800 would probably be better. the 900 is more modernly voiced and has more gain. look into a jcm800 combo, could probably get it cheap.
Keeley Modded BD-2
Vox V847a
Quote by one vision
Bureaucrats gonna crat.