They are technically major chords. But, they include a minor 7th. The interval between the major 3rd and the minor 7th is a tritone (6 half steps) creating some dissonance. That could be why it sounds "minor."
DANNY

Quote by kevinm4435 to some guy
hey d00d i herd u dont like shred u r a genius 4 thinkin dat. all shred is fukin lame wit no soul u no wat im sayin??
Last edited by bluesrocker101 at Aug 24, 2007,
Quote by bluesrocker101
They are technically major chords. But, they include a minor 7th. The interval between the major 3rd and the minor 7th is a tritone (6 half steps) creating some dissonance. That could be why it sounds "minor."

Sweet, thanks! It sounds kinda weird when you take a regulat progression (like I - vi - V - IV) and make it into all 7th chords (I7 - VI7 - V7 - IV7) but it still sounds good...
Quote by Gurgle!Argh!
neither. theyre dominant.

ONLY CORRECT STATEMENT SO FAR

they are NEITHER major nor minor... THEY ARE DOMINANT
Quote by Gurgle!Argh!
neither. theyre dominant.

FTW.... technically they are neither major nor minor because they contain parts of both. ideally you can harmonize over them with either major or minor.
it's a major 3rd interval stacked ontop of a minor 2nd interval, it's neither it's dominant. as it is the 5th chord of a progression and the 5th can be a dominant or a sus chord