Page 1 of 3
There seems to be a few of these "stupidest thing..." threads going around so I'll start another one

What's the stupidest thing you've ever seen someone else do at a guitar store?

I've seen some pretty stupid thing done mostly by noobs, but the one that stands out in my mind is this.

I was competing in the 2005 Guitarmegeddon Competition at GC, and you're only supposed to have 5 minutes to set up. So this guy comes in with 2 guitars (a PRS, and a JEM), then he has this massive pedalboard which includes a Line6 amp modeler and a bunch of other various stompboxes, that probably cost him quite a bit of money. So my first thought was that if he could afford all this cool equipment, then maybe he's got some good chops (and I also assume that he knows how to hook his stuff up!)

It took him maybe 10 minutes to setup (well over the allotted 5), technically he should have been disqualified but they let him compete anyway. So they play the background track, he's getting into it...and then when it comes time to solo, he totally sucks!!! All this killer equipment and extra long setup time, and he totally blew!!!

That was my first lesson in the school of having lots of equipment does nt make you a good guitar player!!!
Washburn Dime 333, Ibanez RG7620, LTD MH250NT w/ EMG 89x's
Modded Boss Metal Zone, Boss CE-5, DD-3, Intellifex
Jet City JCA2112RC, ADA MP-1 Preamp,
GK 400RB Bass head
Marshall and Ampeg 4x12 cabs
I saw a kid playing on a Dean Razorback once.
There ain't no moral to this story at all. Anything I tell you very well could be a lie.
Quote by ebbbaaa

He must have had good taste. I'm sure that's what you meant.
ESP Custom Shop 40th Anniversary Eclipse
ESP Standard Eclipse-II
Ibanez AF85VLS
Quote by ebbbaaa

hah
I saw a kid at guitar center playing a razorback through a crate and he was totally horrible and just headbanging like crazy with his long ****ing hair.
All of the employees at the GC were looking at him awkwardly.
I found it pretty funny.

myspace.com/weasheroesband
What's the stupidest thing you've ever seen someone else do at a guitar store?

Purchase a BC Rich.

Quote by ebbbaaa

Poor kid.
DRM, it's killing music.
somebody buy a Digitech multi FX board. the cheapest one... i was like... "nooooooooo....."
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Custom Hand-wired Amplifiers and Effect Pedals.

Est. 2007

Source to everything I say about Guitars, Pedals, and Amplifiers: I make them.

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
-There was this huge gong (bigger than me) in the percussion section in a big music shop I was in. The stick used to hit it was tied to the frame so no-one could use it. But this one guy (30-something shoulda known better) walks up to it and hits it with his sleeve wrapped around his fist.

At first there was silence, so he laughed and walked away but it slowly started to pick up volume until it felt like your eardrums were gonna burst (but I was very close to it). He was licked out naturally.

-Another time I saw this girl trying to get down an Epi les Paul from the wall high up, she could only reach the strap button on the bottom, but pulled it down before anyone could help her. It looked fine except the paint was split open on the back of the neck, so it turns out she cracked it on the inside.
Metal Forum Popular Vote Winner!!!

Quote by webbtje
Quote by dead-fish
And you're obviously here because you fancy Phill.
Phill is a very attractive guy...

"I'm so tempted to sig that, Phill" - Sig it then

Unless otherwise stated, assume everything I say is in my opinion.
I was in GC trying out a Flying V and this guy comes and parks his ass right next to me and starts listening to what Im playing, which was a Miss Murder, by AFI. So he plugs in and stuff and starts playing something that apparantly he thought was very difficult. I guess It was about the difficulty of Crazy Train. So he finishes, and looks at me and smirks, squints his eyes a bit, and nods his head...thinking, "Yea, I totally pwnt you and what you were playing."

I look at him and shake my head and play No Boundaries. I just finished the triplet sweeping section when he just gets up and completely leaves the store.

Moral of the story:
It's stupid to assume that you can own someone at guitar, just because they aren't playing a difficult song.
the only stupid thing i've seen is some dude getting mad cause one of the guitarcenter employees asked him to turn his amp down, that was all...and he stormed off after slamming the guitar on the floor with the amp still turned on really loud. i was pissed that he ruined a really awesome guitar, though i forget what the model name was...pretty dumb story but true.
Most of the idiocy I see at guitar stores is just 16 year olds shredding their brains out or playing Master of Puppets while looking around for validation.

No one cares, morons.
In the Oven:

18 Watt!
my brother and i were at a guitar center
and i was trying out some random guitars

my little bro comes to me with a guitar and asks

"hey what happens if i plug in a guitar into a bass amp"

I said your gonna break it

then he says

"no im not seriously whats gonna happen"

your gonna break it

"shut up your stupid nothings gonna happen"

so he grabs the cable

plugs it into the bass amp

and turns it on

sounded like a ****ing baby seal being clubbed to death

so he turns it off all fast and by the time hes done

3 guitar center employess come running checking to see if any thing was damaged

luckily nothing happend though
Ed!!!
I was at my local guitar shop, like usual, and these tourists came in and asked me where a good place to eat would be. So I say, "back the way you came you god damn old bastards!!! Don't you have anything better to do than waste your time and money coming here to bug the hell out of me?!?!!" Then I took the guitar I was playing and made like El Cabong and bashed their heads in. That was stupid of them.
Last edited by david_highland at Aug 24, 2007,
i saw this kid who was like 6 and he was throwing a fit cause his parents wouldnt get him a gibson sg he thought it looked cool i felt bad for the parents
ED REED BABY
Some fat kid and his friend were acting all tough, and they were laughing at a $100 ibanez on the wall. They took it down and looked at it and then tried to put it back on the wall, but they dropped it and chipped the body. The store didnt make em pay, sadly
Gear
Ibanez RGR521EX1
Epiphone Masterbilt AJ-500R
Roland Cube
Spider II 30
-Crybaby GCB-95
-SansAmp GT2
-Boss DS-1, RC-2
Man, sounds like I need to drop by Guitar Center more often. At my music shop, I just hear a couple of guys coming in playing some hot blues, very tastefully... What is wrong with people where I live?
Livin' Easy, Livin' Free
Quote by AngusX
Man, sounds like I need to drop by Guitar Center more often. At my music shop, I just hear a couple of guys coming in playing some hot blues, very tastefully... What is wrong with people where I live?

Haha, my guitar center is pretty bad.

I feel so out of place when I come in and play some Hendrix or SRV. Every amp I toy with the gain and treble are maxed... haha.
I saw a dad trying to get his eight year old son a guitar (yes, a full size one---jackass). The salesman took down a Fender for him and let the guy know that it might be a little big for his son. He told him that he was the one who would be making that decision. The dad asked what he thought of it, and the kicked started smashing the bajeezes out of it with the strength of some kinda Hercules or midget-Hulk. Then he started screaming at the top of his lungs "I WANT BARBIE!!!" The dad was immensely embarassed, and as all good parents do, started smacking the crap out of his son. They were then led into the backroom kicking and screaming and I had finished with my business before I caught the rest of their fate. As far as I know, the guitar didn't make it.

EDIT:// My memory's a little shaky, but I think this was about three or four years ago at Guitar Center, for the nitpickers.
This isnt something that was stupid (or maybe it was) but it was funny.

One day our bass player needs to go to sam ash cause he's gonna buy a decent gigging amp. It's him, some other guy, and me. We walk in and he goes off to do his business and me and the other guy go and check out the guitars. So we get something to checkout and we plug in, after about 10 minutes of playing 3 employees come up to my friend and say "hey turn the volume down" and one of the other guys leans over to the amp, puts the volume down and says "Yeah bro we have a low suckage rule here, so if you suck you gotta keep the volume down." . The look on the other guitarists face was priceless.
Quote by csn00b
I hate seeing cute girls topless and what not, it just feels wrong.
i saw someone buy a MG15DFX... and in one place the sales guy dropped a Gretsch 5120 as he was taking it down from the wall. lol.

Quote by iron.zeppelin
i saw a guy buy an epiphone

whats wrong with buying an epiphone?
Rig Winter 2017:

Fender Jazzmaster/Yamaha SG1000
Boss TU-3, DS-2, CS-3, EHX small stone, Danelectro delay
Laney VC30-112 with G12H30 speaker, or Session Rockette 30 for smaller gigs
Elixir Nanoweb 11-49 strings, Dunlop Jazz III XL picks
Shure SM57 mic in front of the amp
Last edited by Blompcube at Aug 24, 2007,
Epiphone is great starting guitars. They have some good mediocre guitars too. It's not stupid to buy one
I saw these kids playing an MG with needlessly high gain and smiling stupidly because they thought they were great because the crappy SS distortion covered up all of their sloppy playing.
Main gear (For complete list, see profile):
Epiphone Les Paul Standard Plain-top
Basswood Telecaster, 2 single-sized HB's, both split.
Epiphone Valve Junior
B-52 AT-412 Cabinet
Oh, and I have a Squier VM Jazz Bass too.
Quote by killer klown
my brother and i were at a guitar center
and i was trying out some random guitars

my little bro comes to me with a guitar and asks

"hey what happens if i plug in a guitar into a bass amp"

I said your gonna break it

then he says

"no im not seriously whats gonna happen"

your gonna break it

"shut up your stupid nothings gonna happen"

so he grabs the cable

plugs it into the bass amp

and turns it on

sounded like a ****ing baby seal being clubbed to death

so he turns it off all fast and by the time hes done

3 guitar center employess come running checking to see if any thing was damaged

luckily nothing happend though

Bollcks. Guitars are fine through bass amps.

Quote by Axis337
good mediocre guitars

Oxymoron, anyone?
A dwarf might hear you. What then?

My Music
Quote by timi_hendrix

Oxymoron, anyone?

It's true, I was actualy going to buy a little bass combo (to play my guitars through)...just to have around...and I plug into my friends bass amp all the time.
Quote by iron.zeppelin
i saw a guy buy an epiphone

just shut the **** up!, epiphone arent even bad guitars so you are full of ****, and before your come back of something like "well obviously you must have some **** guitars" i have a gibson les paul std and an "epiphone les paul std( what a shock for such a "bad guitar"! i still like the epiphone
Quote by !~SlasH~
Purchase a BC Rich.

Please to not be arrogant, it really depends on what sort, if you meant Bronze (I made that mistake once) I understand, but next time say that. Furthermore, you should have told him what he was getting himself into.
Quote by timi_hendrix

+1, two words: fender bassman
Rig Winter 2017:

Fender Jazzmaster/Yamaha SG1000
Boss TU-3, DS-2, CS-3, EHX small stone, Danelectro delay
Laney VC30-112 with G12H30 speaker, or Session Rockette 30 for smaller gigs
Elixir Nanoweb 11-49 strings, Dunlop Jazz III XL picks
Shure SM57 mic in front of the amp
Quote by timi_hendrix
Oxymoron, anyone?

Not really, Good Mediocre guitars. He means, it's good for mediocre GUITARISTS.
Quote by Td_Nights
Prank calls?

What are you, 10?

Be a man and go take a shit on someone's car.

Quote by Fate_of_Mind
I skimmed through, saw pregnancy test, and "why is there blood". I'm going to assume you just punched her in the ovaries, problem solved.

Xbox Live GT: VRSlashGnR
Quote by 3lusiv3
Please to not be arrogant, it really depends on what sort, if you meant Bronze (I made that mistake once) I understand, but next time say that. Furthermore, you should have told him what he was getting himself into.

I saw a guy talking to his friend about buying a Warlock bronze. I told him the guitar wasn't really anything good, and that he probably would be better off buying another guitar. He seemed to listen, but went and bought it the minute after anyway
Quote by Mittani
I saw a guy talking to his friend about buying a Warlock bronze. I told him the guitar wasn't really anything good, and that he probably would be better off buying another guitar. He seemed to listen, but went and bought it the minute after anyway

You did your best, wish someone had said that to me. Given, I only had enough money for a Warlock pack, or a Squire pack, I made my choice, and I stick by it.
Quote by Axis337
Epiphone is great starting guitars. They have some good mediocre guitars too. It's not stupid to buy one

They make some great guitars. The Elitist stuff is very good as are their archtop series. I'd love me a Riviera.
Ibanez PGM301
Ibanez GRG170DX
Fender Telecaster MiJ - 1986
Swing T-Through

Ibanez TS9DX
Sovtek Small Stone - c.1985
EHX Big Muff
Kimbara Wah - c.1974
Boss GE-7

Orange Rocker 30 Combo

http://www.myspace.com/paythelay
I saw someone trying to take down a Jackson V off the top shelf thing at Guitar Center...I turned my head and next thing I hear is a big crash. I turned around to see the guitar on the ground, a string broke and I believe there was a chip in it...the employees looked so distraught. I don't know what happened to the guy or guitar, I left about then.

That killed me inside though, if the guitar is on a high shelf, ask an employee to get it for you :|
One Way Ticket To Hell

Gear

-Ibanez GRX20Z
-Ibanez XPT700 Xiphos
-Peavey Studio Pro 112
-DigiTech Grunge
-Zakk Wylde Wah
-DigiTech Whammy
-MXR 10-Band EQ

Future Purchases
-EMG's 81/85
-Cab
-Krankenstein Head
-ESP Eclipse II
Quote by GMR5

That killed me inside though, if the guitar is on a high shelf, ask an employee to get it for you :|

Aye. At least you can't get blamed that way I asked an employee to get down this lovely Gretsch Hollowbody for me and he managed to ding it against a Les Paul. Ouch, I felt so bad for him but all I could manage to say was "...I don't want to buy a damaged guitar...unless you can knock some money off".

Smooth.
Ibanez PGM301
Ibanez GRG170DX
Swing T-Through

Ibanez TS9DX
EHX Big Muff
Kimbara Wah - c.1974
Boss GE-7

Orange Rocker 30 Combo

At allegro music in Chelmsford, theyre completely snobbish, but allright, i was sitting there playing a nice Vox valvetronix (it will be mine, it will be mine) and some n00bish 16 year olds coming in, they were trying to show off to their friends, not only did they do the evil deed of playing Bad Horsie, a song by the devil himself, they managed to rip most of the strings off the guitar but ripping the trem bar to far. Quite funny. Another time the guy who works there got the digireedoo (sp?) and blasted it into chelmsford. Good times.
I saw someone trying to do a herman li lift on jackson something (can't remember). Then the bar came off and he dropped the guitar on an amp making a HUGE dent of the body

lol

oh wait...

Quote by KileManA7X
I remember my first erection. I went to my dad and was like "Do I have Aids???". I seriously thought there was something wrong with me.

Quote by p.stick
I saw someone trying to do a herman li lift on jackson something (can't remember). Then the bar came off and he dropped the guitar on an amp making a HUGE dent of the body

lol

oh wait...

Hahaha, so which shop did you do that in?
Ibanez PGM301
Ibanez GRG170DX
Swing T-Through

Ibanez TS9DX
EHX Big Muff
Kimbara Wah - c.1974
Boss GE-7

Orange Rocker 30 Combo

In a place called "birmingham drum centre"...

They sell guitars as well...

Quote by KileManA7X
I remember my first erection. I went to my dad and was like "Do I have Aids???". I seriously thought there was something wrong with me.

Page 1 of 3