So I bought a new MIM Stratocaster a couple weeks ago. Generally, I'm pretty happy with it, but tonight, I noticed an issue that might start to bug me. The pick guard is slightly bowed right by the neck pickup. The pickup has enough play that I can flatten it out by pushing on it, but without any pressure it stays bowed. The gap is big enough to fit a pick into it.

Am I being overly anal about this, or is this something I should get taken care of? I can return the guitar (possibly swap it out with another) if needed.

Would you swap out the guitar?

Zarley <== pissed he didn't notice this while he was looking at the store
you should ask them if they can fix it, and if not then return it
Quote by AgentWiggles
Thanks, douche.

Quote by SlayingDragons
Dude...

Gear:
Ibanez SZ 520QM
Ibanez RG 450DXB
Fender Big Apple Stratocaster
Pod XT Live
Peavey XXX Half Stack
Peavey Bandit 112
and a soul of Rock n' Roll
I would not return it, in my opinion you're being too anal. But, it probably wouldn't hurt if you really felt you needed to return it....But just remember, in the early days allot of guitarists needed to make do with a piece of wood with a single string attached.
My guitar has the same problem, but I just ignore it...since it is nothing major to worry about. If you return it...they'll charge ya. If it eats at you too much, well...replace it.
Quote by Zarley
The gap is big enough to fit a pick into it.

Go Iommi style and keep your spare picks there!

Seriously though, don't worry about it, the only person who will ever notice this is you and it won't affect the playability or tone of the instrument. If it's really biting you then go and buy a new pickguard; but I really wouldn't bother.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Thanks for the feedback guys. Since I've had the guitar for almost three weeks and I'm only now noticing this "issue", it's probably not that big a deal. I probably will take it in to have them look at it, just to see if there's anything they can do. But, since I like the guitar, I probably won't make a bigger deal about it.

Zarley
Did you try tightening all the pickguard screws?
"Rock music is important to people because... it allows you...not to run away
from the problems that are there, but to face up to them, but at
the same time to sort of dance all over them.
That's what rock 'n' roll's about."
--Pete Townshend
The pick guard is slightly deformed... maybe because it doesn't fit exactly or some other reason.

I personally would not swap that guitar if I had it.

Almost everyone worries about a new guitar. Wait a couple months and see if you still care about it
86% of the people who frequent the "Electric Guitar" forum would say that they have played guitar for under 5 years.
I'm sure you've tried tightening the screws, but just in case....

Worst comes to worst, you could put some tape over it.
[SIZE=
Quote by Zarley
...Am I being overly anal about this, or is this something I should get taken care of? I can return the guitar (possibly swap it out with another) if needed.

Would you swap out the guitar?

Zarley <== pissed he didn't notice this while he was looking at the store
ffs, you shouldn't have to ask. If it bothers you, have it fixed or replaced. This is not normal fit and finish. A pickguard is supposed to fit flat. It says Fender on the headstock, not Squier. If it doesn't bother you, don't take the time to do anything about it.
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
I release my inner liberal every morning when I take a shit.
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
I wont be like those jerks who dedicate their beliefs to logic and reaosn.