I just picked up an Ibanez 7421 XL from my buddy for super cheap and I was wondering what type and size strings should I pick up for it. It has a 27 inch scale instead of a standard scale.

Also, what 7 string pickups would you prefer: EMG 707, SD '59 JB 7 string, or Dimarzio Evo 7? I play mostly Progressive, Death, and thrash metal. I also play some alternative music and classic rock, but mostly metal.
Quote by LuthierofTexas
You have no experience with racks??? What kind of guy are you?
The guitarist in my band put in the DiMarzio DSonic 7 in his 7321 and it's a really big improvement. I play in a progressive death metal band and it works great.
thanks
Quote by LuthierofTexas
You have no experience with racks??? What kind of guy are you?
what about the new active Dimarzio I hear they are a good alternative to the EMGs.
The EMG's will require routing to actually help them to fit....but the new active Duncan pickups, the blackout's are a direct fit in for regular spaced pickups......plus the 6 string variants sound killer. It might be worth putting a Dimarzio X2N-7 in the bridge, it seems to handle high gain music a lot better plus it retains a lot of clarity, more so than the D-sonic i've found.

But congrats on the RG-XL model, ive been hunting around for one of those as a back up guitar for quite a while.