Page 1 of 2
Has anyone tried this amp and is there anything you can get cheaper for a practice amp than the marshall that is just as good if not better? I mainly play rock and want a tone in the style of slash and have that thick crunch tone.

I was also looking at the mg15dfx and the line six spiders and am not sure what to do.

Would the mg15dfx marshall lack in sound quality by any chance? Or is it just smaller and have the same sound quality.
What's your price budget?
Co-Founder of the Orange Revolution Club

-Esp/Ltd Ec-1000 w/ BKP Mules
-2-channel Titan
-Oversized Bogner 2x12 Cabinet
-Fulltone OCD
-RMC Picture Wah
-T.C. Electronic Nova Delay
-Larrivee D-03R
dude prepare to get flamed.

MGs have a really bad rep cause they suck as do line 6 spiders.
Go with a tube amp.

whats your budget
Quote by csn00b
I hate seeing cute girls topless and what not, it just feels wrong.
ok here's the thing, i tryed a marshall 30dfx. its a good amp. though i'd step up 2 the 50 dfx. and if its practice amps. the 15 dfx is good. but after a period of time u will need a bigger wattage amp for better rock and metal sounds. or you can try line6 as i've heard many people say that they have very good rock tones. i work in a music shop so i know a fair few things.
imo, for rock, go for the Vox Ad30Vt. I went for the spider cos its better for metal.
My Gear
Line 6 Variax 600
Epiphone G-310
Ibanez RG350EX
81' Ibanez Blazer Bass

Line 6 Spider III 75
Line 6 POD X3 Live
Fender ToneMaster Mini
Boss DD-2 Delay
Boss CE-2 Chorus

My Band
Band MySpace!
Band UG Profile
Quote by jpgilbert701
dude prepare to get flamed.

MGs have a really bad rep cause they suck as do line 6 spiders.
Go with a tube amp.

whats your budget

He wants a practice amp.

-2-channel Titan
-Fulltone OCD
-RMC Picture Wah
-Larrivee D-03R
i'd go for the marshall 15dfx or a small line6. both top amps in their field.
Quote by Jinskee
He wants a practice amp.

there are small 5 watt tube amps that are just as loud or louder than a 30 w ss and sound way better.

peavey royal 8 costs 200
Quote by csn00b
Quote by jpgilbert701
there are small 5 watt tube amps that are just as loud or louder than a 30 w ss and sound way better.

peavey royal 8 costs 200

But this guy looks like he's on a tight budget. In my opinion, I think the best route for the threadstarter would be to get a decent modeling amp and practice with the set tones.

He's not going to get a crunchy/lead sound with JUST a 5 watt amp (I know, i know) but he might want these effects, then those effects, etc. It really just depends on the guy's budget.

I'm sticking to the statement that SOLID STATE AMPS AREN'T THAT BAD--especially for practice.

I'm just saying, though--only my 2 cents.

-2-channel Titan
-Fulltone OCD
-RMC Picture Wah
-Larrivee D-03R
Quote by Engel22
ok here's the thing, i tryed a marshall 30dfx. its a good amp. though i'd step up 2 the 50 dfx. and if its practice amps. the 15 dfx is good. but after a period of time u will need a bigger wattage amp for better rock and metal sounds. or you can try line6 as i've heard many people say that they have very good rock tones. i work in a music shop so i know a fair few things.

I dont see what wattage has to do with "better rock and metal sounds" in a solid state amp.

And i vote Vox Ad30Vt. Ive heard good things about this amp.
yea dude
go with the vox for now
Quote by csn00b
Quote by Engel22

Epic phail.

The Marshall MG series amps sound bad, and are overpriced - I wouldn't pay £20 for one. The AVTs are a bit better but not even close to being worth the price difference. Spiders sound horribly digital and, technically speaking, they don't even have any gain.

I'd go with a Vox Valvetronix, Vox Valvetronix XL or Roland Cube - in 30w versions, the 15w have less features on each. Go with the XL if you want metal tones and a lot of versatility, the Cube if you want metal tones and not alot else, or the standard Valvetronix if you want to play Blues through Rock.
The Laney Thread are big and clever. No exceptions.
Quote by Jinskee
But this guy looks like he's on a tight budget. In my opinion, I think the best route for the threadstarter would be to get a decent modeling amp and practice with the set tones.

He's not going to get a crunchy/lead sound with JUST a 5 watt amp (I know, i know) but he might want these effects, then those effects, etc. It really just depends on the guy's budget.

I'm sticking to the statement that SOLID STATE AMPS AREN'T THAT BAD--especially for practice.

^ +1

I'm going to put my standard reply for threads like this:

- If you play lots of genre's, get a Vox AD series, preferably AD30.
- If you play mainly metal, got a Roland Cube.

That's just the best way for practice amps.
Ibanez PGM301
Ibanez GRG170DX
Fender Telecaster MiJ - 1986
Swing T-Through

Ibanez TS9DX
Sovtek Small Stone - c.1985
EHX Big Muff
Kimbara Wah - c.1974
Boss GE-7

Orange Rocker 30 Combo

http://www.myspace.com/paythelay
Quote by Engel22
i'd go for the marshall 15dfx or a small line6. both top amps in their field.

If you're referring to the field of suckiness then yes, those two amps do indeed set the benchmark...

TS - what's you're budget?
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
please use the search function...*melts*
Quote by Pookie6
Yngwi3, You win this whole monstrosity of a thread.

Quote by uk.mace
For the best tingle, use Original Source mint. That shit feels amazing on your balls.

Godfather of The Diezel Mafia
Quote by Jinskee

Hurray for common sense! Finally people are catching on that valve amps aren't the be all and end all.
A dwarf might hear you. What then?

My Music
Yeah I'm kinda glad that I had my Cube to start out on and it does do pretty good for metal and good low volume stuff. But if I had the knowledge I do now I would've rather saved the money to get the little tube amp I have now. But of course I didn't have that knowledge so I was lucky enough to get the Cube instead of a mg lol.
Quote by timi_hendrix
Hurray for common sense! Finally people are catching on that valve amps aren't the be all and end all.

+1

Yeah, the Vox Valvetronix range would be good for classic rock and blues, the Cube for heavier stuff.
Gonna Leave this town

Gotta leave this town

Gonna make a whole lotta money

Gonna be big yeah...
(Jimi Hendrix - Hear My Train A Comin')

flickr
Quote by Jinskee
What's your price budget?

there's another type of budget?

>_>
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by steven seagull
If you're referring to the field of suckiness then yes, those two amps do indeed set the benchmark...

TS - what's you're budget?

i agree with the cube/valvetronix suggestions. the royal 8 is quite nice, but you aren't getting much of a range of tones... you probably wouldn't want one if it were to be your only amp.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc

>_>

Sure, there's the British government budget, where all the money's spent on "education", i.e. the cost of printing of the ridiculous amount of exam papers.
A dwarf might hear you. What then?

My Music
i thought it's where they advocated 150% taxes on everything.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Engel22

*slaps hand on forehead and shakes head smiley*
gear:
fender mim telecaster w/ some extra stuff
Vox Ad50vt
Vox V847 Wah
Boss OS-2
Keeley Boss DS-1 Ultra
Electro-Harmonix Big Muff Pi USA
MXR Phase 90
Boss CH-1
Quote by Engel22
ok here's the thing, i tryed a marshall 30dfx. its a pretty bad amp. though i'd step up 2 the Vox AD30VT or Roland Cube 30 . and if its practice amps. the Vox and Cube are both good . or you can try line6 as i've heard many people say that they have very bad rock tones or for that matter, very bad tone period . i work in a Guitar Center so i know next to nothing about amps .

That should clear things up for you.
Quote by cokeisbetter
That should clear things up for you.

1 million brownie points awarded to Coke
Quote by Pookie6

Quote by uk.mace
For the best tingle, use Original Source mint. That shit feels amazing on your balls.

its funny, how most beginners ask about either the MG or the Spider.

Before anyone asks, my spider was given to me for free and yus, i am still a beginner.

anyways, you oughta try both the spider and the mg then compare it to the sounds you get from a low end tube amp. hopefully youll recognize the difference in tone.

if you feel like takin everyone elses word for it, thats fine too.

as for amp suggestions, i would say cube or the vox. didnt help much but oh well
Equipment

Epiphone Les Paul Plain-top
Line 6 Spider II 75w
Bad Monkey OD Pedal
Ibanez WD7 Weeping Demon
I nice modelling amp, like the Vox ad30vt or Vox XL series amp is what you'd probably want. I own the ad30vt and it's a great versatile amp.
Also with a wattage knob so you can turn it down for practice. It's also pretty versatile.

To be honest from the stuff i've read about MG's on here, I would go with the Vox instead.
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Vox-Valvetronix-AD30VT-30W-Guitar-Combo?sku=481959

Or the XL series which is supposed to me more Metal oriented and has heavier settings...
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Vox-Valvetronix-AD30VTXL30W-1x12-Guitar-Combo-Amp?sku=483004

I also read about people mentioning the Roland Cube amps, though i've never used one myself.

Edit: I'm always late to post in these thread!!!
High Cardinal of Zeppelinism PM TheHeartbreaker to join and
"Co-Founder (and Yoda) of the Star Wars Universe. PM me or SethMegadefan to join.

' " The last enemy that shall be destroyed is death"...'-p.269-Deathly Hallows
Last edited by zeppelinpage4 at Aug 24, 2007,
Quote by Dave_Mc

>_>

-2-channel Titan
-Fulltone OCD
-RMC Picture Wah
-Larrivee D-03R

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
man how do you sig stuff, this thread is full of great stuff lol. id say vox.
Lol.

This thread is just one giant UG stereotype... Crap original ideas, crap advice and people pissing all over MGs and Spiders.

You know what I think would be a better idea than making a thread about what amps not to get and what amps to get.

We should make a thread with the title "I was looking into spiders/mgs.." then fill the thread with pictures of goatse or somehting, then sticky it. That should get the message accross.
Quote by beckyjc

We should make a thread with the title "I was looking into spiders/mgs.." then fill the thread with pictures of goatse or somehting, then sticky it. That should get the message accross.

gold!
Quote by Pookie6

Quote by uk.mace

and this thread is 2 months old too... who dug this up?
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Custom Hand-wired Amplifiers and Effect Pedals.

Est. 2007

Source to everything I say about Guitars, Pedals, and Amplifiers: I make them.

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
Quote by beckyjc
Awesome, sigged, with spelling mistakes and all.

of course got to keep it true to the source
Quote by Pookie6

Quote by uk.mace

Page 1 of 2