In this thread we will discuss the movie, Clockwork Orange.

I thought it was a great movie, I liked the blend of serious with random and comedy in the same scenes. It was far from what I had expected even after I was told what it was about.

What do you guys think the "morale" of it was?

Is it more nudity then I ever thought possible in a 70's movie? Is it Icy hot? Is it barrel rolls?
Patrick Star of The Jelly fishing Club PM darkstar2644 to Join
Last edited by KFKing at Aug 24, 2007,
I've certainly heard of A Clockwork Orange, it's one of my favourite movies, but not Clocktower. I'm thinking you either got confused, made a mistake or a movie with a similar title and similar plot was made.
The will to neither strive nor cry,
The power to feel with others give.
Calm, calm me more; nor let me die
Before I have begun to live.

-Matthew Arnold

Arguments are to be avoided; they are always vulgar and often convincing.
Hahaha. Yes, that is what I meant. I even looked it up on imdb before I posted this thread, and I got it right there.
Patrick Star of The Jelly fishing Club PM darkstar2644 to Join
Quote by KFKing
Hahaha. Yes, that is what I meant. I even looked it up on imdb before I posted this thread, and I got it right there.

uhhh. I suggest deleting this thread and making a new one with the correct title to avoid flaming
He's definately got it mixed up with Clockwork Orange.

For the sakes of posting, I've always wanted to see this film and gonna buy it cheaply soon.
MAN CITY

De Montfort Uni
Yeah, I'd remake the thread.

And you can buy it in HMV for a fiver.

EDIT; By the way, you are aware it was a book first?

-Matthew Arnold

Last edited by Dinkydaisy at Aug 24, 2007,
^ Yeah, I was actually.

And that's cheaper than I expected, might order of the net in that case!

Edit: And +1 for being a Doctor Who fan!
MAN CITY

De Montfort Uni
I love this book and movie so much, but i prefer the book. I love how in the movie hes jumping around singing Singing in the Rain while raping someone.

A dose of the good old Ultra-violence to the a capella of Singing in the Rain. One of my favourite movies ever.

The truth hurts, but denial is what kills you.

Member #2 of the Fight Club Clan.
PM AndrewSchaeffer to join.
Quote by hellbound_jonny
^ Yeah, I was actually.

And that's cheaper than I expected, might order of the net in that case!

Edit: And +1 for being a Doctor Who fan!

High five!

I was walking through HMV, as you do, and saw it and thought 'Ooh, that's cheap! Allow me to buy it...'

I first saw it on TV, I was flicking through channels and saw the scene where Alex is having a threesome in his bedroom. I thought it looked interesting, so I watched then the adverts came up, I saw it was Clockwork Orange and was enthralled.

-Matthew Arnold

Quote by KFKing

Is it more nudity then I ever thought possible in a 70's movie?

I seem to remember hearing that it was banned in the UK for a couple years.
"There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. Some kind of high powered mutant never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die."-Duke
The original was rated X in America. I watched it a few weeks ago or so, the original. Ultra-violence and rape! I love the movie, not because of the nudity and all because of the story. Also, the Adicts get their outfits/makeup from the Droogs in A Clockwork Orange.

I believe the morale of the book/movie is that "True goodness comes from within." Not because you're in jail and turn good.

CAUTION SPOILERS

He was only good because he wanted to get out of there. In the end he ends up being in a hospital and then fantasizing of "performing the ol' in out in out" on a young female
I think the moral is more a debate on free will. He was good, but not of his own accord due to the Ludovico treatment. Rather than reforming himself, he instead just finds himself incapable even when he wants to. The book ended differently (at least the UK version did) where Alex goes on to have a Government job and matures, leaving his sociopathy behind.

-Matthew Arnold

Quote by Dinkydaisy
I think the moral is more a debate on free will. He was good, but not of his own accord due to the Ludovico treatment. Rather than reforming himself, he instead just finds himself incapable even when he wants to. The book ended differently (at least the UK version did) where Alex goes on to have a Government job and matures, leaving his sociopathy behind.

yes. There are quite a few differences between the film and book. But the thread is about the movie
There's really no point in having a thread about a movie which is based on an even better book if we can't discuss both. You didn't even make the damn thread.

-Matthew Arnold

Quote by Dinkydaisy
There's really no point in having a thread about a movie which is based on an even better book if we can't discuss both. You didn't even make the damn thread.

Jeez no need to get all pissy about it

It would be off topic to discuss the book. First post says movie soooo I was referencing to the movie.
the book is better. a book about brain washing that brain washes the reader into understanding a wierd slang language. genius.
Spoiler:

Alex grows up later and realizes that all of the ultra violence and senseless in and out is boring. He decides to do good and start a family.

So in other words Alex does turn good, just doesn't take some strange treatment for him to do so. Just some time to grow up.
^What the hell was the point of that post? And that's for the book anyway.. We are talking about the movie here if you didn't read the first post
Quote by paulvxD
^What the hell was the point of that post? And that's for the book anyway.. We are talking about the movie here if you didn't read the first post

Well, the movie left out the last chapter of the book. It'd be better to know the real ending that the author intended you to view than to watch a movie where it wasn't included in. However, if you'd rather have your incomplete story, then it's completely fine by me. It IS a spoiler post for those wishing to find out what happens after the movie.

In addition to this, leaving out elements of the book that weren't mentioned in the movie simply because this thread was made to discuss "the movie" A Clockwork Orange is no excuse to not discuss the book as well. You didn't make the thread, and there's no harm in informing the movie watchers of more of the plot behind A Clockwork Orange the movie by using information from the novel.
Last edited by ih8u2 at Aug 24, 2007,