..shred (or at least try to ) on bass? Recently I've really been getting into thrash/speed metal, and I like playing the lead guitar part on bass. Does anyone else?
Quote by musicianamedave
I tell them that I'm happy with my current church, the church of the Flying Spaghetti Monster. Then I ask them if they would like to be touched by his noodly appendage.

Quote by filthandfury

YES.
Like a russian doll, with balls.

I love The Pit.
Quote by Mr. Thingy
..shred (or at least try to ) on bass? Recently I've really been getting into thrash/speed metal, and I like playing the lead guitar part on bass. Does anyone else?

haha, i dont play bass, but i tried shredding on my mates bass and it sounded pretty cool!
i think there should be bass shredders <3
Quote by Jaffaps2
It's meant to reflect Clapton's career, starts off good but then turns into a piece of shit.

The Lord has done mighty things with his right hand
Psalms chapter 118, verse 12
Just listen to some dream theater! Some songs have some super fast playing that sounds super close to shredding! Its insane
I've given it a try but after watching this I've realised it doesn't sound good.
Those who have crossed
With direct eyes, to death's other Kingdom
Remember us - if at all - not as lost
Violent souls, but only
As the hollow men
The stuffed men.
Or if you listen to Day of the Baphomets by The Mars Volta, it sounds really bad, even though it's incredibly impressive....Just my opinion.
Quote by Demonikk
+1
I live by the method: 3 or less orange warning labels, and it's safe as a kitten

Quote by Charlatan_001
EDIT: Sammcl pretty much got it dead on.
Quote by Callum89
I've given it a try but after watching this I've realised it doesn't sound good.

I can't actually view that link 'cos I'm at work, but is that Billy Sheehan by any chance?

I think the sound of bass shred is entirely dependent on the tone you use, if for example you use the same sort of tone as Billy Sheehan it ends up being a mess of horrible mushy mud, but if you use a less distorted tone with more high end then it can sound very nice, I personally love Juan Alderete's tone, as well as Victor Wooten's faster lines and John Myung's rare solos (Ytse Jam ftw!), so as long as you get the sound right it's good in my opinion.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
I can't actually view that link 'cos I'm at work, but is that Billy Sheehan by any chance?

I think the sound of bass shred is entirely dependent on the tone you use, if for example you use the same sort of tone as Billy Sheehan it ends up being a mess of horrible mushy mud, but if you use a less distorted tone with more high end then it can sound very nice, I personally love Juan Alderete's tone, as well as Victor Wooten's faster lines and John Myung's rare solos (Ytse Jam ftw!), so as long as you get the sound right it's good in my opinion.

Yeah it's Sheehan I suppose, the tone's the problem. Although, another problem is that there's nothing to it. Atleast other guys like Wooten play something that sounds good aswell as have a good tone. So I guess I'm kind of half and half on shred bass.
Those who have crossed
With direct eyes, to death's other Kingdom
Remember us - if at all - not as lost
Violent souls, but only
As the hollow men
The stuffed men.
I just do it for fun.
Quote by musicianamedave
I tell them that I'm happy with my current church, the church of the Flying Spaghetti Monster. Then I ask them if they would like to be touched by his noodly appendage.

Quote by filthandfury

YES.
Like a russian doll, with balls.

I love The Pit.
Quote by Callum89
Yeah it's Sheehan I suppose, the tone's the problem. Although, another problem is that there's nothing to it. Atleast other guys like Wooten play something that sounds good aswell as have a good tone. So I guess I'm kind of half and half on shred bass.

Whenever someone mentions bass shred it's always Sheehan

The problem with him is that his tone is all lows and low mids so there's no articulation, it all sounds like mush, I reckon if he was playing the exact same thing through the same sort of sound as Myung or Alderete he may very well be the best rock bassist the world has ever seem, but as he has no tone at all he loses to people like Steve DiGiorgio and Alex Webster purely because I can hear what they're playing.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
i'll probably try it just so that whenever the time arises that i need to play shred bass i can, otherwise i have no interest in shredding
Quote by bassmanjoe08
Dan

Don't stop being you <3

Quote by fatgoogle
I think after this relentless adding for the last 10 mins, that Dan is the coolest looking. Goddamn welsh people and my great etc etc etc etc etc granddad is welsh.