I love the sound of the ch[ord F#min11...but I don't knowwhich chords and scales to use in with...i was wondering if some of the more experionced players on this site could help me?
Quote by metal4all
Just, no. Locrian should be treated like that gay cousin. Just avoid him cuz he's weird, unstable, and is attracted to the wrong thing.

Quote by steven seagull
Big deal, I bought a hamster once and they put that in a box...doesn't make it a scale.
min11 = 1, b3, 5, b7, 9, 11

SO, the scales that will fit are-
Dorian - 1, 2, b3, 4, 5, 6, b7 (very nicely)
Aeolian - 1, 2, b3, 4, 5, b6, b7 (may fit, dont know about the b6)

If you didnt play the 9th of the chord, Phrygian would fit quite well..... i only say that because i was playing phrygian last night and its awesome

Obviously the actual scale would be F# Dorian.
notes - F#, G#, A, B, C#, D#, E
Thanks dude, that's awesome...
Quote by metal4all
Just, no. Locrian should be treated like that gay cousin. Just avoid him cuz he's weird, unstable, and is attracted to the wrong thing.

Quote by steven seagull
Big deal, I bought a hamster once and they put that in a box...doesn't make it a scale.
wait...D# in Dorian? isn't D the 6the note of F#m?
Quote by metal4all

Quote by steven seagull
Last edited by yM.Samurai at Aug 24, 2007,
D is the 6th note of F# minor (Aeolian), yes. But Dorian has a major sixth, D#.

Try using it as part of a ii - V (F#m11 - B7) or ii - V -I (F#m11 - B7 - EΔ.
^Sorry...ur talking to a 13 year old here And i dont know much about chords
What does all of that second line mean?
Quote by metal4all

Quote by steven seagull
It's describing a chord progression used a lot in jazz, ii - V7 - I. You can use F#min11 as the ii chord in the key of E major.
Quote by VR2005
Very good post Marmoseti, you're on the right track.

Because footstools are cool - UG's Classical Guitarists

PM Marmoseti or Confusius to join
Last edited by marmoseti at Aug 24, 2007,
Oh, ok, i think I understand now...what is the triangle for? Augmented?
Quote by metal4all

Quote by steven seagull
The triangle just means major.
Quote by VR2005

lol ok...(showing my lack of knowledge)...thanks dude...
Quote by metal4all

Quote by steven seagull
No problem
Quote by VR2005