I'm thinking about getting new pickups in my guitar (BC Rich Warlock) but I'm wondering would they make much of a difference (I'm thinking of getting Seymore Duncan Invaders or Dimebuckers) the ones in it now are just BC Rich humbuckers. As you may have guessed I play metal
EMG FTW!!! especialy if your bc rich hummys are actives already
Quote by Birdy266
Otherkid your a genius

Silence is Golden But Duck Tape Is Silver

cream fanclub member 2

The Rabbi of Zeppelinism

Member #2 of the Red Sox Fanclub. PM Gibson06 to join.

I know little about pickups so im kind of shooting in the dark. oh yea thats the other thing, whats the difference between active and passive and how can i tell which mine are?
other than like getting a new amp or pedal your pickups or humbuckers pretty much make the sound and tone of your guitar so it makes a huge difference what your pickups are
yes.You can for example hear the difference betwen single coils and humbuckers. it can make a big difference but i reckomend 81/85 very classic and good metal tone
Really? I always thought they were alright, suppose I never heard anything else. So can someone tell me the difference and what would be better to play metal?
true, i can hear the difference between single coils and hummers but im on about between different hummers but its already been answered
Perhaps I have a sensitive ear, but I can distinguish different humbuckers easily, so I'm fussy as hell about what I use. In my opinion, the EMG 81 is THE ultimate bridge pickup for metal and hard rock. The Seymour Duncan Blackout bridge might be better, but I've never tried it. Also, I much prefer the EMG 60 in the neck, instead of the more common EMG 85. The outputs and tonal responses of the 81 and 60 are better matched for blending, than the 81 & 85. The 60 also isn't as muddy as the 85, so you can get away with using it for distorted rhythm playing. Despite what most people say, you CAN get amazing cleans with EMGs. You just have to be patient.
Actives use 9v's to power them making them very hot and easier to distort, but they also have a "natural" distortion to them. Passives just dont use 9v's but some can be as hot as actives
Quote by Birdy266
Otherkid your a genius

cream fanclub member 2

The Rabbi of Zeppelinism

Yep, because active circuits are more sensitive, you'll have to use 25k pots (instead of the 250-500k that you probably have now).

Actives are essentially low-output passives, which then use an internal preamp to drive the signal. Because the pickups don't use strong magnets, and have a relatively low output (before preamp), the amplified signal is incredibly clean. Also, their sensitivity also allows you to play harmonics with ease.
Quote by nonamemark
I'm thinking about getting new pickups in my guitar (BC Rich Warlock) but I'm wondering would they make much of a difference (I'm thinking of getting Seymore Duncan Invaders or Dimebuckers) the ones in it now are just BC Rich humbuckers. As you may have guessed I play metal

As always my first question is: What amp are you using? Unless you're going through a good amp you will never notice the difference between old and new pickups.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=384847&page=14&pp=20

I forget the name of it now, but it's an acoustic/keyboard amp. ill tell you the name of it when i get home. so im going to need 9v batteries to play them? thats a bit of a pain. does anyone know if ill have any trouble installing them? as in will the screws fit in the guitar. pickups in the holes ect?
To be honest, a new amp will probably make a much bigger tonal difference than new pickups will.
I am getting a new amp but not until next summer. Do you mean a new amp compared to the one I have now or a new amp in general?
Theres a battery compartment for the 9v, and you only need one.
Quote by Birdy266
Otherkid your a genius

cream fanclub member 2

The Rabbi of Zeppelinism

Quote by nonamemark

I forget the name of it now, but it's an acoustic/keyboard amp. ill tell you the name of it when i get home. so im going to need 9v batteries to play them? thats a bit of a pain. does anyone know if ill have any trouble installing them? as in will the screws fit in the guitar. pickups in the holes ect?

Oh. Dear. God.

Screw the new pickups, you need a good amp! Stop thinking about mods to your guitar right now and start saving for an amp that's at least designed for a guitar.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Quote by nonamemark

Yes, they will fit. I've installed them numerous times, and never had trouble.

A 9V will last for AGES. They come with a stereo guitar jack, which uses the third ring to complete the circuit with the battery - then when you pull the jack out, it breaks the circuit.. so that the battery only drains when you're plugged in.

Oh, and that looks like a little Peavey Rage something.
Quote by nonamemark
I am getting a new amp but not until next summer. Do you mean a new amp compared to the one I have now or a new amp in general?

Both. If you play a guitar with stock pickups through a cheap beginner amp, and then through a high-end amp, there'll be a difference in tone between those. If you change the pickups, you're not likely to notice much of a change through the cheaper amp. I found this out with my first guitar...
I know, I know but i have a good sound out of it and i wont have enough money for a new amp till next summer
Ah. Well, in that case, I can't see there being a downside to getting some new pickups
Quote by nonamemark
I know, I know but i have a good sound out of it and i wont have enough money for a new amp till next summer

Define "good sound". I would bet that you're never played through a proper all tube amp with at least 2 speakers cranked to hell, because until you have you don't know good tone.

I know you say you don't have enough money know, but wait until you do, don't chnage your pikcups because right now it'll be a waste of money that you could be spending on that amp next year; it could be the difference between good tone and great tone.

Quote by Master Foo

Album.
Legion.
The new pickups would likely not change your tone at all anyway, best to save for a new amp, i had a decent amp when i changed my 370's pickups to evo's and i could tell the difference in tone from the very first note i picked.
You wouldn't notice that from a cheaper amp.
But go with what you want to do, EMG's aren't the ONLY pickups for metal, most high output passives sound just as good.
Ibanez RG1527 Prestige
Ibanez RG1550 Prestige
Ibanez RG370 fully loaded with Dimarzio Evolutions
Boss GE-7
Boss DS-1
Boss Mt-2
Digitech RP-10
Dunlop Crybaby
Marshall MG100DFX
Basically, he doesn't have a developed ear yet. Especially if he can't tell that his little Peavey SS is crap, and he can't tell the different between 'buckers.

So.. cheap tube combo + EMGs.

Epi VJ,
Crate V8,
Peavey VK Royal 8...

etc..
Quote by TheFly03
But go with what you want to do, EMG's aren't the ONLY pickups for metal, most high output passives sound just as good.

Better, in my opinion. A pair of Bare Knuckle Nailbombs are awesome for metal
What type of warlock are you getting, an Agathis bodied guitar will not benefit much from having expensive pickups put in it.....it just isn't worth it as the tonewood isn't that great to start with.
What amp have you got? No point getting new pickups if its still all gonna sound like crap because of a terrible amp.
"Breathe, breathe in the air
Don't be afraid to care"

Fender Strat/Tokai LS80>few pedals>Orange Rocker 30
Quote by R_H_C_P
What amp have you got? No point getting new pickups if its still all gonna sound like crap because of a terrible amp.

He's already said he's got an acoustic/keyboard amp. Which, frankly, is useless.
I disagree with the "pickups make on difference on SS" consensus on here. I changed my Ibanez's bridge humbucker to a swineshead whilst using a solid state amp, and it did make a difference. Not a big one, but it made the sound clearer, brighter and crunchier.

That said, the amp was pretty good for a £300 SS, and my guitar was made of better tonewoods than Agathis (though agathis isn't as bad as plywood!).

Ultimately, it's up to you to decide whether you want to change your pickups now for a pretty minimal improvement in tone, or put that money towards a better amp or guitar which will change the tone more.

A final note on EMGs, I doubt they'll sound too good through that amp. I played a really nice LTD 400 with 81/85 through a Cube 60 and it sounded terrible.

A dwarf might hear you. What then?

My Music
EMG all the way! i love my EMG 60/81 combination in my esp. i've heard some bad reviews about the clean tones of them, but they sound great to me! surprisingly, putting the 60 on clean and recording it sounded almost identical to running my acoustic guitar with a fender acoustic pickup.
Ltd EC-400
Ibanez GRX40
Yamaha FD02
M-Audio Black Box
Marshall MG15CDR
The majority consensus seems to be don't change your pickups until you get a better amp. I concur. Put that money in the bank. You will need it later for a guitar. Not to be mean. You can save yourself some money and possibly some grief if you listen to good advice now.