Page 1 of 2
Yesterday someone posted the obscure fact that 3 people die every year by testing a 9 volt battery on their tongue. How can this be, you ask? Well in my infinite wisdom I quickly deduced that this is a result of them trying to divide by zero...literally. Allow me to elaborate:

Figure 1-a

Grandmasta Ohm Promotes His Hit Single, Ohm's Law

Figure 1-b

Abstract Album Art

As you can tell from the images above, Ohm's Law dictates that (V=IR) meaning that Voltage is equal to Current multiplied by Resistance. Manipulating this equation algebraically, we can derive that (I=V/R) or that Current is equal to Voltage divided by Resistance. This shows that Current and Resistance are indirectly proportional such that as Resistance approaches infinity, Current will approach zero. Inversely, if Resistance is zero, Current will be infinitely large. Let us now apply this to our original dilemma with the battery:

Figure 2-a

So, there you have it UG. Further proof that dividing by zero will seriously wreck your shit.
This guy has divided one too many things by zero.... lol
LollipopSkeletonsLollipopSkeletons
Word, bro. Don't be dissin' 'lectricity.
Dear God, do you actually answer prayers?

Yes, but only in a way indistinguishable from random luck or the result of your own efforts.
Quote by Superpartydude5
Just cause it's directly on your tongue doesnt mean theres no resistance...

Obviously since we've likely all done this. However, it would seem that some people have very low resistance in their tongues.
a human wil ALLWAYS have some Ohms inside... so.. phailed
Quote by ealtdharkon
Sorry to break this to you, but you "hardcore" fans don't HAVE mosh pits.
You have epileptic line dancing.

Quote by NotTheSun3290
Well... I AM a virgin, afterall...
maybe their tongues are too wet

what is the resistance of saliva?
Decaptivated

Ibanez S370 (all custom)
Mesa Boogie Studio Pre
Fender Champ 25se (used to power Mesa pre)
Custom 2x12 cab w/ Eminence Texas Heats
i do it all the time in technology, our teacher tells us to, its a way of tested them!
"Greased Up Deaf Guy" of the Family Guy Club
PM Jersey_Zombie to Join

Quote by RockinGuitarBoy
hi, my penis is 7cms erected and im 15. is that normal?

Sephiroth of UG's heros and villains club pm Josh999x to join
clean water/saliva wont lead electricity hat good anyways, but it will help.. the more dirty the water is, the more electricity it leads
Quote by ealtdharkon

Quote by NotTheSun3290
Quote by magvol
clean water/saliva wont lead electricity hat good anyways, but it will help.. the more dirty the water is, the more electricity it leads

so it must be the people who don't brush their teeth who get fried
Decaptivated

Ibanez S370 (all custom)
Mesa Boogie Studio Pre
Fender Champ 25se (used to power Mesa pre)
Custom 2x12 cab w/ Eminence Texas Heats
Quote by phatsack

well, yeah:p

or maybe it was small kids who eats dirty :O
Quote by ealtdharkon

Quote by NotTheSun3290
Quote by Metal claw
You should have used the template for the first picture!!!

I never knew that existed

--------------------
-------------------
------------------
-----------------
----------------
---------------

The human body does not have a resistance of zero. Hook an ohm meter up to your tongue I guarantee you that it will not read zero.
Quote by phatsack

I don't know that this would make too big a difference. The current would still have to flow into the skin at one point. I'd think having low resistance merely on the surface of the tongue would actually be better for you because of Kirchhoff's Current Law, and the fact that current always takes the path of least resistance.

Quote by Scooch
The human body does not have a resistance of zero. Hook an ohm meter up to your tongue I guarantee you that it will not read zero.

Thank you captain obvious.
Last edited by denizenz at Aug 24, 2007,
I believe this thread was an attempted joke that has now sadly failed rather epicly...

it had such potential too

this thread is proof that dividing by zero is no laughing matter
Quote by cammo_1234
it had such potential too

Okay, even if this thread failed, that's a pretty awesomely bad pun. Serious win.
Agile AL-3100 (highly recommended)
SX SST57 strat copy
OE30 Hollowbody
SX fretless bass
Epiphone PR-200 acoustic
Yamaha G-40 classical
Epiphone Valve Junior head
1x12 custom cab
4x12 Behringer Half-stack

My Solo Stuff

My Band

I dont believe that a 9 volt battery could kill someone.

The truth hurts, but denial is what kills you.

Member #2 of the Fight Club Clan.
PM AndrewSchaeffer to join.
lol i'm happy someone picked it up
People probably die because of some alkaline acid leaked from the battery.
||||||||||||||||||||
||||||||||||||||||||
||||||||||||||||||||

Apart from the resistance of the human body, let me also lay down some physics on your ass.

EVERYTHING has resistance, 0 resistance does not exist, even a battery has a resistance, called 'Internal Resistance' its uses a little energy for electrons to even travel through the battery

As far as dying is concerned, it is the Ampage not the voltage that will kill you e.g. a 12V car battery can kill you.

Quote by dogismycopilot
Absent Mind, words cant express how much i love you. Id bone you, oh yea.

Quote by lumberjack
Absent Mind is, as usual, completely correct.

Quote by littlemurph7976
Id like to make my love for Neil public knowledge as he is a beautiful man
Quote by Absent Mind
Apart from the resistance of the human body, let me also lay down some physics on your ass.

EVERYTHING has resistance, 0 resistance does not exist, even a battery has a resistance, called 'Internal Resistance' its uses a little energy for electrons to even travel through the battery

The only thing I miscalculated before making this thread was the Pit's resistance to satire...
Quote by denizenz
The only thing I miscalculated before making this thread was the Pit's resistance to satire...

I can't help it, I'm an electrical engineer. Glaringly obvious breaches of physics drive me crazy.

I still like you
SX SST57 strat copy
OE30 Hollowbody
SX fretless bass
Epiphone PR-200 acoustic
Yamaha G-40 classical
1x12 custom cab

My Solo Stuff

My Band

Quote by gen0doom
Alkaline acid????

A lot of batteries are made with alkaline acid. It's combined with some other chemicals and produces a chemical reaction which releases electricity.
||||||||||||||||||||
||||||||||||||||||||
||||||||||||||||||||

Quote by urik
A lot of batteries are made with alkaline acid. It's combined with some other chemicals and produces a chemical reaction which releases electricity.

Don't believe any of this "acid" nonsense. Batteries work using mostly little elves and magic.
SX SST57 strat copy
OE30 Hollowbody
SX fretless bass
Epiphone PR-200 acoustic
Yamaha G-40 classical
1x12 custom cab

My Solo Stuff

My Band

Am I missing something, or aren't acids and alkalis complete opposites, so they would neutralise each other? Or is the electricity produced in the neutralisation reaction?

Damn AS level chemistry for not teaching this stuff.
Quote by weirdjohn87
I can't help it, I'm an electrical engineer. Glaringly obvious breaches of physics drive me crazy.

I still like you

I was going for computer engineering so I know all about impedance and internal resistances
Quote by weirdjohn87
Don't believe any of this "acid" nonsense. Batteries work using mostly little elves and magic.

You caught me on the lie
Though I thought that it was some little men inside the battery spinning an electromagnet :/
||||||||||||||||||||
||||||||||||||||||||
||||||||||||||||||||

Quote by denizenz
I was going for computer engineering so I know all about impedance and internal resistances

And the physics in your joke didn't bother you???

hmph. Must be a CE thing.
Wait, I've got one:

I think one of the main causes for the fall of the Roman Empire was that, lacking zero, they had no way to indicate successful termination of their C programs.
SX SST57 strat copy
OE30 Hollowbody
SX fretless bass
Epiphone PR-200 acoustic
Yamaha G-40 classical
1x12 custom cab

My Solo Stuff

My Band

Quote by denizenz

denizenz, it's okay... many have made this mistake before you... any form of mildly intelligent humour is ruthlessly shot down and left to rot in this pit....

do not waste your superior brain power on these fools... leave them here to play with their penises and 4chan memes...

the average pit dweller is a simple being, and sadly i believe this environment is the wrong place for your "smart humour" as it is not fully appreciated...

But let it be known that i feel your pain
Quote by weirdjohn87
And the physics in your joke didn't bother you???

hmph. Must be a CE thing.
Wait, I've got one:

I think one of the main causes for the fall of the Roman Empire was that, lacking zero, they had no way to indicate successful termination of their C programs.

Not really because it was a satirical attempt (a bad one apparently) at humor, and a long way to go for a divide by zero joke. I guess it seemed funnier at 1:00am whilst I was trying to fall back asleep.

Quote by cammo_1234
denizenz, it's okay... many have made this mistake before you... any form of mildly intelligent humour is ruthlessly shot down and left to rot in this pit....

do not waste your superior brain power on these fools... leave them here to play with their penises and 4chan memes...

the average pit dweller is a simple being, and sadly i believe this environment is the wrong place for your "smart humour" as it is not fully appreciated...

But let it be known that i feel your pain

Heh,
The thing is, its our being intelligent and having studied physics that allows us to rip this 'joke' to peices, if we we're stupid it wouldn't have been possible now would it. So you fail

Plus I find the wake of the joke and the subsequent trashing of it much funnier than the joke itself :P

Quote by dogismycopilot
Absent Mind, words cant express how much i love you. Id bone you, oh yea.

Quote by lumberjack
Absent Mind is, as usual, completely correct.

Quote by littlemurph7976
Id like to make my love for Neil public knowledge as he is a beautiful man
lol... dude the human body has an avg resistance around 60000 ohms... not 0..

'tard
Quote by Hotpunksk8rgirl
EWWWWW!!!!! Isn't a urethra another word for a female body part(vagina)??????? Perverted fishy.
Quote by Bronek
lol... dude the human body has an avg resistance around 60000 ohms... not 0..

'tard

rofl, is everyone back to school? Yesterday the pit's all barrel-hot and icy roll jokes and today everybody thinks they're Alessandro Volta.
Page 1 of 2