I got an acoustic guitar recently, a really cheap, crappy one, just to see if I could be bothered to learn how to play it. I was thinking of getting an electric guitar, and I was wondering is it easier or harder to play, and what are the advantages/disadvantages?
Also, does anyone know any good but cheap guitar that I should get, plus whatever amps etc I'll need?
Acoustics aren't very fun to start with. But then again I don't know if electric guitars are better. I started with an acoustic and remember going

BUT DAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAD MY HANDS HURT
and he was all
TOO BAD
I guess I would need to ask...did you learn to play it?
If so, then an electric guitar will be much easier on your fingers. Much lower action, thinner string gauge.
Get a strat pack or something like that for starters.

The only disadvantage would be that you'll have to plug in every time you want to play. You could play it unplugged, but thats only fun for around two minutes.
Accoustics are a bit harder to play but they get your fingers strong. On the other hand their hardy to learn how to solo with and can be a bit painfull at the start. Its really preferance. Also their a bit cheaper for first timers since you don't need an amp, cord etc.
You may have a 10 x 10 stack of marshalls and i may only have one, but mine goes to 11.... Beat that
starter electric: Yamaha Pacifica - $200
starter amp: roland cube 15x- $100

Not much difference between electric and acoustic. I remember when I started playing, people would say its better to learn acoustic and then go electric. I thought that was a heap of bullshiht. So I started electric and eventually bought an acoustic a few years later. It really isnt much of a difference. Same way to play just acoustics are generally bigger and a little awkward to hold at first, compared to an electric which is usually has a smaller body than an acoustic. If you can play your acoustic, you can definately play an electric without a doubt.
Advantages to electric: You can get some real volume to your playing, add pedals for various effects, use whammy bar, and reach higher frets with more ease. Electric you can basically play any style of music you want with the right amp/pedals. You can put your amp on a clean sound and play your electric and it will sound like an acoustic, or close to an acoustic.
Disadvantages to electric: I' don't think there are many to be honest haha
Advantages to acoustic: good for campfires and outdoor events with friends. Just generally fun to play acoustic songs on and sing.
Disadvantages to acoustic: Can't play large venues unless it is acoustic-electric because it wont be loud enough.

Hope that helped. I know its brief and basic but maybe you'll learn something from it. Electric guitar will be like a whole new world of musical exploration. Just stick with it and have fun
Yeah, what he said ^^

Quote by KileManA7X
I remember my first erection. I went to my dad and was like "Do I have Aids???". I seriously thought there was something wrong with me.

Quote by Axis337
Acoustics aren't very fun to start with. But then again I don't know if electric guitars are better. I started with an acoustic and remember going

BUT DAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAD MY HANDS HURT
and he was all
TOO BAD

Yeah, take it like a man.

One problem with electrics is that, if you get a cheap one with a tremolo, the thing could jump outta tune and break stings so much, that it's just discouraging.