Is the tapping part in Eruption very hard? Is tapping in general very hard? I've been playing for about a year and I'm wondering if I would be able to learn this technique and that part of Eruption.
Quote by RiotSquad
mom take me to the doctor i cant stop cumming in wrestling
Quote by Cameronrobson
bobby, I've got poutine in my urethra

CLICK HERE FOR FREE SEX!
I learnt it after a year
Just make sure everything sounds even
It may look complicated to someone just looking at it for the first time on paper, but its not

And at the midnight comment
i think most of the song is quite hard tbh, however, the tapping part isnt, getting it to sound right might be tricky but, the actual playing it isnt.
Quote by Eminored
Try it? Better yet, don't try it 'cause it's annoying to hear anyone play that these days?

Haha agreed. I think that Eruption loses steam after the tapping part, kinda sounds nasty after that. Maybe that's just me.

It's tricky threadstarter, but once you get it nailed it's one of those "this was ever hard?" type things.

My favourite tapping lick is one of the easiest too, so you should try that:

Mr Big - Green Tinted Sixties Mind
Ibanez PGM301
Ibanez GRG170DX
Fender Telecaster MiJ - 1986
Swing T-Through

Ibanez TS9DX
Sovtek Small Stone - c.1985
EHX Big Muff
Kimbara Wah - c.1974
Boss GE-7

Orange Rocker 30 Combo

http://www.myspace.com/paythelay
I used to think tapping would be insanely hard but it really isn't, two-hand tapping is hard but straight up eruption style tapping is pretty easy, just look up a tapping tutorial on youtube.
Quote by AluminumOxide
Cobain killed himself before he learned to play guitar.

Gibson SG Special
Schecter C1-Plus
eruption isnt a very hard song to play. tapping in general isnt a hard thing to do. like anything else in guitar playing it takes some practice. i would suggest learning it if ur a van halen fan, just make sure it sounds good before you go around playin it. like the guy above ive heard soooo many people cover it and it sounds terrible. the good part about it is if someone ever says "hey show me what you can play" you can pull that **** out
Just so I know, tapping is like a long hammer on or pull off? Like you fret a 12 and tap a 17 with your right index finger just like you do with your ring finger on the left hand if the note is 2 frets away?
Quote by RiotSquad
Quote by Cameronrobson

CLICK HERE FOR FREE SEX!
Quote by Stentroll
Just so I know, tapping is like a long hammer on or pull off? Like you fret a 12 and tap a 17 with your right index finger just like you do with your ring finger on the left hand if the note is 2 frets away?

Basically, but you could tap with your thumb for all I care, as long as you keep it clean sounding. You could check out some videos on Youtube to help you get the right thing down. The main problem I have is sounding off the other strings when trying to switch to higher or lower notes.

Oh and finally, when you get the tapping thing down, EXPERIMENT. It's pretty cool how many different licks you can make up just by tapping a few notes here and there. So get to it.
Last edited by Eminored at Aug 24, 2007,
yup pretty much, just make sure with your left hand you're hammering on the notes and with your right hand when you tap, touch the string and push it away from the fretboard as if you were picking but you press down on the fret first. A lot of people forget to do that and are just hammering on everything and its hard to hear and isn't effective.
Quote by AluminumOxide
Cobain killed himself before he learned to play guitar.

Gibson SG Special
Schecter C1-Plus
just becase everyone plays eruption doesnt mean you shouldnt try it, theres a reason everyone gets a hard on for it. it is a good introductory piece to get into tapping and other kinds of wankery. the difficulty of the tapping is all in the beholder. it is the easiest part, aside from the a, g, and d chords that get whacked after the beginning. try boning up on your knowledge of triads. you dont absolutley need to, but doing that makes van halen esque tapping seem like remedial guitar playing. the technique, well just do what it takes to make it sound right and do it slow. dont just push the frets, hit them and rub off the string kind of.. explaining techniques is more difficult then doing them, just do what sounds right.
midnight is cool, but i like day at the beach more. and then theres vais tapping, which is like van halens with more variations and more intervallic ambiguity. you wanna **** a brick look at "turn around" by bumblefoot. the solo in that is tapped, except its like on pcp, its cool. he taps notes higher than the 24th fret with a thimble. just to give you an idea of what you can do with the technique apart from van halen. i dont know how you play but i have all the confidence you will eventually tap just fine if you really want to be able to. good luck brosef
Yay, I did it and it sounds great! I've only practiced the first half of it though .
Quote by RiotSquad
Quote by Cameronrobson

CLICK HERE FOR FREE SEX!
1st question: no but it takes stamina.

2nd question: depends how deep you get into it, but yes, it can get very hard.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
i learned eruption in my first month of guitar (the tapping bit)... unfortunately my fast learning came to a halt around.. the same time as i learned eruption
im sorta confused at all these newbies saying this is an easy song to learn, do you guys have the rythms right, theres a lot of weird signatures in that song, its not like a nirvana or greenday song(not trying to bash) were you can kinda figure out the 4/4 thing pretty easily
my gear//
GUITARS
ESP Horizon Custom
ESP M202BB
ESP HB300
Gibson LP Custom
Gibson V
AMPS
Orange Rockverb 50
Mesa Triple Recti
Marshall JCM800 2210
^ oh, no, you're correct, eruption is extremely hard. Just the tapping bit is pretty simple (for tapping).
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?