title kind of says it all. I see people recommending the epiphone Les Paul custom over the Agile for the most part. But according to the product details the epiphone is a Mahogany/alder body, and the AL-3100 is a solid mahogany body. I'm not expert, but it would seem that the solid mahogany would be much better, but the price difference is pretty big.
Not "better," but it will give you a different tone. All mahogany will sound closer to a true Les Paul, while the alder on the Epiphone will make it brighter sounding.
i have owned only one agile and it was a septor 7 string, and it was much better than my ibanez rg7321....the septor was only 20 bucks more than the ibanez and it smoked it....my expeirence with agile was good, and ive heard numerous people talk about how great they were for the price
I personally prefer for AL-3100 over every Epi I ever laid my hands on except this one Elitist. But the Elitist is only there if you could swing the cash. I personally dislike Epi LP necks. But thats a personal comfort issue. I just find the Agile to be a much better deal. I took my AL to Sam Ash once and tried it against some Epi's. It blew them all out of the water in terms of playability and tone. The Epi's that are the mahogany/alder hybrids have a slightly brighter not so Les Paulish tone to them. I do believe that there are good Epi's out there I just haven't found one that I liked personally short of an Elitist.
-Denny
PRS Singlecut Trem

Member #2 of the Coheed and Cambria fanclub, PM dementedpuppy to join.
Quote by crust_punk
Not "better," but it will give you a different tone. All mahogany will sound closer to a true Les Paul, while the alder on the Epiphone will make it brighter sounding.
And once again...

Any Epi LP Standard or above that has been made in the last two years, will have the 'proper' mahogany. No alder. Simple as that. The alder is still listed as some older models are still in prime circulation, and the 100's, Junior's, Special-II's and I think the Studio as well use the old mahogany/alder mesh, but everything from the Standard up, is mahogany now, pure and simple.

On that note... the Epi. The Epi LP Custom is the only 'cheaper' guitar I'll still happily use next to my Gibsons (there's also the Epi Joe Perry signature LP... but that's not exactly 'cheap' by most normal people's standards). Hell, I've not even changed it's stock pickups and it's still sounding damn good. The Gibsons sound better, but it's one hell of a backup guitar.