Can someone tell me what are the basic requirements for home recording? I hardly have any budget though. The only things I have are:

guitar, software, cheap distortion pedal
if you want to record into the pc then you need a mixer or some sort of interface box to hook into it. it would be better to mic and amp than go direct in uless you have a line 6 riff tracker or something like that.
you need an adapter. a £2 1/4 jack to 1/8 jack that you plug from your line out on you amp to the line in on the back of your pc. Some free software (audacity is recommended) and you are set to record. The quality aint exactly cd/studio but itsa decent starter.
Someone should make a sticky for this question...!!
It has been asked a million times in here....

Anyway...

A lil noobs guide to recording...

For recordings you need two main things:

1. Audio Interface - Well basically its just a soundcard with a few extra connectors. Its is a little device that converts the analogue signal coming from your guitar, mic, bass, amp. whatever to a digital signal for the computer to understand it.
There are loads of interfaces out there. They mostly are priced according to their sound quality, the quality (balanced, unbalanced, ADAT, SPDIF, MIDI) and amount of inputs and outputs it has and the connection it uses to connect to the computer (Usually Firewire or USB). Firewire connection is slightly faster than USB 2 connection which is a lot faster than USB 1 connection.
simple: Firewire>USB 2>>>USB 1.
If you're recording loads of instruments at once then go for the faster connection or elz you'll end up getting latency (a slight delay in the signal to get to the comp and get out of the speaker. Anything above 15ms is noticable and will cause problems in recording).

Audio interface sorted, move on to

2. Audio Recording/Editing/Sequencing(MIDI)/Mastering Software - This is something like Cubase, Logic, Pro Tools, Sound Forge, Acid pro, Garage Band, Audacity, Adobe Audition etc. (Last 4 are only recording and editing softwares).
Now this is the software you use to record the signal coming from the audio interface onto yer comp's hard drive.
Pro Tools is the only industry standard audio recording and editing software out there. Its the best you can get if you wanna record audio. If you're working with MIDI, Cubase is the best and Logic comes a close second.
Pro Tools can be a little tricky to use if you're new at this. It comes in two versions. The Pro Tools LE that only works with the Digidesign Mbox and 003/002 audio interfaces and The Pro Tools M-Powered which only works with M-Audio audio interfaces. It won't work with anything elz.
All other softwares will work on any soundcard.
My advice is to stay away from Cubase, Logic and Pro Tools till you've understood a good bit bout recording. Audacity is a great free software and is easy to use, should get you quite a descent recording.

What more do you need for recording??
Well, you don't really need anything elz. Thats it. Just maybe a few connectors and mics. But thats completely upto you and how you wanna record your instruments. There are many different ways to record a instrument.

Like for example recording a guitar, you can record it plugged straight into the audio interface using an amp modelling software to get the tone. Or you can plug it into the amp and record it from the amp into the audio interface and comp. Or you can plug it into the amp, place a mic in front of the amp and record it from the mic into the audio interface and comp. Or more likely as its done in studio, use a combination of the three setups or use em all to record the same guitar on 3 different tracks being recorded 3 different ways!
There are absolutely loads of things you can do. You can use two mics to record, you can move the mic around in different location around the amp to get different tones... Its absolutely upto what you think is sounding the best!!

Anything else you need????

Yes, the most important thing which is knowledge and skill!!!
You need to have the knowledge of what you're doing and the skill to do it the best way.

As i always say,
A person who's got little knowledge and skill can get the best equipment out there to record his tracks and still make a big mess of it ending up with a horrible recording.
A person who knows what he's doing can come up with a close to studio quality recording from even the cheapest and most basic equipment.

Its more bout the knowledge and skill than the tools you're using.

Hope that helped you.

Actually that was quite a descent post...
I'll post it as a thread in the Sound engineering and production (S.E.E.S.) UG group...
I might add more stuff to it sometime later...
Last edited by af_the_fragile at Aug 24, 2007,