Hey guys,

I need to expand my music taste. I've grown quite a disliking for compilations/best ofs so I'd like you guys to fill in the blanks and suggest the best/defining/musthave albums from the following:

BB King
Eric Clapton
Rolling Stones
Rush
CCR
Porcupine Tree
Nirvana
Deep Purple
SRV
Jeff Buckley
Santana
Stone Temple Pilots

Thats all I can think of off the top of my head, but what I need is more.. rock and blues. I have no idea where to start for the blues Hell, even suggest me some bands that fit into that list. The kind of stuff I listen to atm (to give you an idea of what I like) is.. Doors, Grateful Dead, Jefferson Airplane, Hendrix, Zep.
Let me tell you about heartache and the loss of god
Wandering, wandering in hopeless night
Out here in the perimeter there are no stars

Out here we is stoned
Immaculate.
Last edited by Highbinder at Aug 24, 2007,
I recommend A Farewell To Kings and Hemispheres by Rush. For Porcupine Tree I recommend Stupid Dream if you can get ahold of it, In Absentia, Deadwing, On the Sunday of Life, The Sky Moves Sideways (Remastered). Actually I love anything Porcupin Tree has done.
Member #9 of the Carvin club
BB King
Eric Clapton
his stuff with cream is good. pick up Disraeli Gears
Rolling Stones
sticky fingers and let it bleed
Rush
CCR
Porcupine Tree
i had deadwing for a while. it was interesting but by no means mind blowing
Nirvana
in utero and bleach are my favs, but i like their harsher stuff
Deep Purple
are totally over-rated. buy anything of theirs if you like 20 minute organ solos
SRV
Jeff Buckley
Santana
Stone Temple Pilots
are damn near a parody of the grunge scene. pick up some Mudhoney, or even some Pixes....or even some Afghan Whigs (congregation is a fantastically underrated album)

there ya go bro
Fats Domino is a great blues player, but theres lots more. Brian Setzer is another u might like. As for best albums, for Nirvana the best imo were nevermind and in utero. Rush have 16 albums, all the ones after Neil Peart are great. SRV has done all great stuff, and so did Santana, but u might want to start w/ Supernatural by Santana. U might like the bands The Hives and The Vines. I love th Hives imo, and lots of ppl say they sound like the Stones for the modern generation. also, Jack White is a fantastic blues player and musician in general.
Clapton: Disraeli Gears (Cream), From the Cradle (great blues album)
SRV: Texas Flood (and any live albums)
Stone Temple Pilots: Core, Purple
Rolling Stones: Let it Bleed
Nirvana: In Utero, Nevermind (their defining album), MTV Unplugged
Gibson Les Paul Classic
Traynor YCV 50 Custom Blue

Quote by Dee'snutz
YES! you, Dazed/confused, are a genius. my thanks to you, good friend
I'll recommend albums for stuff that I like/ used to like.

Quote by Highbinder

Rolling Stones
Sticky Fingers.
Exile on Main St.

Nirvana
Nevermind

Jeff Buckley
Grace

Here are some more recommendations. These are more 'alternative' rock, but I picked albums that I think you will enjoy based on liking the above albums.

Violent Femmes - the Violent Femmes
The Smashing Pumpkins - Siamese Dreams
Weezer - Weezer (Blue Album)
The Velvet Underground - The Velvet Underground & Nico
Radiohead - The Bends
Elliott Smith - XO

have fun
Eric Clapton...Bluesbreakers or Timepeices...best of clapton
CCR...Greatest Hits
Deep Purple...Machine Head
SRV...Couldnt stand the weather

Not a big rolling stones fan however I did like Mick Jaggars shes the boss album...jeff beck and pete townsend played on that record.

A band I recommend is April Wine...very talented band from the 70's and 80's...one of my favorite bands...they have a greatest hits album as well.
Go to this page to hear my original song recordings

Click Here
Last edited by D_Vincent at Aug 24, 2007,
Eric Clapton- Cream stuff....like Disraeli Gears
Rolling Stones- Some Girls, Tattoo You, Exile on Main Street
Rush- Hemispheres, Moving Pictures, 2112
CCR- Bayou Country
Nirvana- Bleach and Incesticide
Deep Purple- Machine Head, Perfect Strangers
SRV- Couldn't Stand The Weather
Jeff Buckley- Grace
Stone Temple Pilots- Purple, Tiny Music....
LOL
B.B. King - Indianola Mississippi (and if you want some Eric Clapton blues too get Riding With the King)
Rolling Stones - Exile On Main Street, Flowers and Sticky Fingers
Rush - 2112
Jeff Buckley - Grace
Ahh thanks guys I really appreciate the quick replies. Written down all your suggestions.

I'm glad to see I have quite a few of the albums suggested, I guess that means I'm on the right track heh heh.

Lots of suggested bands, definately going to try and get hold of some of the ones mentioned. What I'm really looking for is good bluesy stuff, I really do like Clapton (I have the 'EC was here' live album, blew me away), and I like other bluesy rocky stuff but I've been trying to get into .. I guess you could call it the more 'pure' blues.

And thanks for all the grunge type suggestions. I'm only starting to get into that seattle scene music, my girlfriend is a serious Pearl Jam fan and she got me hooked, and then I borrowed a bunch of tapes off her older brother and found some real jems, including the Nirvana unplugged. I absolutely love that acoustic grunge stuff, way more than the studio albums anyway. Are there any other unplugged / acoustic styled albums that are must haves?

Also, which albums should I try and get from the following (to add to my list ;P ):

Dire Straits
Ted Nugent (I have an ooold vinyl of his, it rules, I need more!)
James Gang
Aerosmith (they've got more blues riffs than I remember?!)

Out here we is stoned
Immaculate.
Last edited by Highbinder at Aug 25, 2007,
I guess if you like clapton then you could get Eirc Clapton Unplugged

Go to this page to hear my original song recordings

Click Here
I see you've got a few bluesmen on there, so I'll go ahead and suggest another one: Albert King. A fantastic blues guitarist. I recommend Born Under a Bad Sign

oh, and for Clapton, I recommend: From Bluesbreakers, get The Bluesbreakers ft. Eric Clapton (or something like that); from Cream, get Disraeli Gears, and from Derek and the Dominos, get Layla and other assorted love songs...
Mother Earth is pregnant for the third time
For y'all have knocked her up.
I have tasted the maggots in the mind of the universe
I was not offended
For I knew I had to rise above it all
Or drown in my own shit.
BB King & Eric Clapton
Riding with the King

Rolling Stones
Sticky Finger

Rush
2112, Moving Pictures

Nirvana
Nevermind
Woo more suggestions Good stuff. Disraeli Gears is amazing.

I borrowed some albums off a buddy, he lent me:

CCR - Green River
Dylan - Bringing It All Back Home (I don't own any of his albums! onlythe best of. Going to get Blonde on blonde next)
The Doors - In Concert (the newly released one?)
Hendrix - Axis Bold As Love (Only had Electric Ladyland)
The Band - Music From Big Pink (he mentioned they were a lot like the Dead)
and an amazing Ray Charles album

Out here we is stoned
Immaculate.
And thanks for all the grunge type suggestions. I'm only starting to get into that seattle scene music, my girlfriend is a serious Pearl Jam fan and she got me hooked, and then I borrowed a bunch of tapes off her older brother and found some real jems, including the Nirvana unplugged. I absolutely love that acoustic grunge stuff, way more than the studio albums anyway. Are there any other unplugged / acoustic styled albums that are must haves?

Alice in Chains- Unplugged, Jar of Flies, SAP.
Screaming Trees- Dust.
It's gonna be a blue day
Quote by ChordMonger
there ya go bro

Deep Purple over-rated?? WTF!!!! Deep Purple are one of the most under-rated bands of all time.... Every musician in that band (especially the Mark 2 and 3 line-ups contained some of the most influential musicians of all time!!) Gillian, Blackmore, Paice, Lord, Glover, Hughes, Coverdale.... All those musicians are some of the most influential for their instruments.....

Recomended albums...
Deep Purple in Rock
Machine Head
Burn
Perfect Strangers
Frank Zappa's not dead. He just smells funny.
The Rolling Stones

Aftermath
Beggars Banquet ( it has sympathy for the devil on it, IMO the best song ever written)
Exile on Main St (my favorite)
Let it Bleed
Get yer ya yas out (awesome live album)
Their Satanic Majestys Requests ( weird trance like album)
Singles Collection :london years ( a good starting point)
Eric Clapton
Get a Cream CD, preferrably with either Crossroads on it, or White Room
Rolling Stones
This question I'd like to see answered, I never could figure which Stones CD to buy... I'm thinking of some old one, with Brian Jones, but I still don't know which one.
Nirvana
In Utero is definitely their best album, tho it's all a matter of taste... if you are getting into Nirvana I guess you should start where they started... get Bleach, and work your way chonologically.
Deep Purple
Deep Purple In Rock, got most of the classics on it.
SRV
Any live CD will do, this guy is ****ing amazing.
Jeff Buckley
This guy only made one album, and it is perhaps the best album the 90's brought us. Get Grace today, it is totally worth every penny twice.
Santana
Moonflower is the best way of getting into Santana I guess... Europa is an awesome song.
Stone Temple Pilots
not a grunge rip-off like a previous poster stated, more like a grungy version of glam-rock, like Orgy, or Jane's Addiction. Try getting their album Core, it's really great.
Hey all, more suggestions, lovely

Was wondering, are there any other guitarists comparible to Hendrix in their style? Blues influenced rock guitarists that still play blues tunes interspersed with the more traditional rock. (I've got stuff like Slow Blues, Catfish Blues, Wind Cries Mary, Room Full of Mirrors, Country Blues and Come Down Hard On Me in mind here)

Out here we is stoned
Immaculate.
Porcupine Tree - In Absentia
...Up to the battlefield to where the spirits walk...
Last edited by Xodah at Aug 29, 2007,
Quote by Highbinder
Hey all, more suggestions, lovely

Was wondering, are there any other guitarists comparible to Hendrix in their style? Blues influenced rock guitarists that still play blues tunes interspersed with the more traditional rock. (I've got stuff like Slow Blues, Catfish Blues, Wind Cries Mary, Room Full of Mirrors, Country Blues and Come Down Hard On Me in mind here)

John Cann (listen to Andromeda or Atomic Rooster)
"That was it, a nick. Now happily paid for. [...] It was decided that it was so far away in time and influence that...well, you only get caught when you're successful. That's the game". Robert Plant
Rush- Farewell to Kings...their best album
Jimi Hendrix- Blues....a lot of great blues songs
Quote by highvoltage66
so whats this pink floyd guy's middle name anyway?
Quote by gtrplyr54
Rush- Farewell to Kings...their best album
Jimi Hendrix- Blues....a lot of great blues songs

Well I'll be damned never knew he had a Blues album!

http://www.amazon.com/Blues-Jimi-Hendrix/dp/B000002OSK

Out here we is stoned
Immaculate.
Jimi was first and foremost a bluesman.
Mother Earth is pregnant for the third time
For y'all have knocked her up.
I have tasted the maggots in the mind of the universe
I was not offended
For I knew I had to rise above it all