have any of you ever done it? what did you play, what eqipment did you use, how much did you earn? cuz i tried busking today, had some flyers in my acoustic guitar case and was playing some blues, jazz and classical, and earned 5 cents from a little Turkish boy
i only played my acoustic guitar and didn't sing. maybe i should sing next time.

your stories?

EDIT: busking is playing music on the streets with a little hat or guitar case out for people to throw change in
My friends did that at school last year, they had an Acoustic and a Ukelele, they earned like 5 bucks in change.

I've earned a couple dollars myself doing it.
Yep - played improv. blues for most of it and made about $15 in half an hour.
Quote by crazymnm
Yep - played improv. blues for most of it and made about $15 in half an hour.

what did you play with?
well...one day my frinds and i were sitting outide one of their houses (forget who's) but my friend started playing wonderwall and we started singing, he put his case on the ground, and htere was a few ppl who walked by and through some in, but in reality we were just like jaming lol
Gear:
Jackson DKMG Dinky (EMG 81/85)
Ibanez GIO (i put a Dimbucker in the bridge)
Crate GT65 (65 watts) to be upgraded soon, suggestions welcome (must be tubed)
Floor Pod (for sale)
I do it all the time with a friend or my trusty looper pedal. We tried acoustic duo once and earned $4.50. But I also have a Traynor TVM10 (a battery powered amp) and every time I've used that I've earned about $30.
Quote by mlogans91
I do it all the time with a friend or my trusty looper pedal. We tried acoustic duo once and earned $4.50. But I also have a Traynor TVM10 (a battery powered amp) and every time I've used that I've earned about $30.

i need one of those battery powered amps, i suck at acoustic (compared to my electric guitar skillz. fo sho)
Wait, somebody said you need to buy a lisence?

WDTF?
very frustrated guitar player

член в русской группе UG! PM Vindiction to join!

And the worst comeback in the history of UG is:
Quote by ketchup_cum
your moms an is

i do it in my town's park. useually cover songs. its really fun. i do it acoustic and sing and my bass player has an acoustic bass.
Guitars:
Custom les paul copy with sun inlay
Epiphone les paul custom with emg 81/85
Hondo 80's star shape(project)
ESP explorer (project)
Epiphone dr200s
Epiphone ej200
pedals:
mxr doubleshot distortion
amp:
Raven rg100
Quote by CoreysMonster
i need one of those battery powered amps, i suck at acoustic (compared to my electric guitar skillz. fo sho)

Go for the "Roland Microcube"
I saw people getting a "For The Love Of God" tone with that beauty, and it has effects, and can be battery powered.
||||||||||||||||||||
||||||||||||||||||||
||||||||||||||||||||

Yes. In Media and Ardmore PA, as well as some locations in Massachusetts, New Jersey, and Ohio.

Wherever I have my guitar, time, and a buddy.
Quote by urik
I saw people getting a "For The Love Of God" tone with that beauty, and it has effects, and can be battery powered.

Microcube pwns, now you can get suped up microcubes but they probably arent worth it considering they cost over twice as much.
Quote by newbe guitarist
Wait, somebody said you need to buy a lisence?

WDTF?

Yesh or it is illegal will it is over here anyway.

I have seen people being asked to produce their licenses to the police.
I think that's ridiculous to be honest...
very frustrated guitar player

член в русской группе UG! PM Vindiction to join!

And the worst comeback in the history of UG is:
Quote by ketchup_cum
your moms an is

I do it every Saturday and when I can during school holidays and whatnot.

It's generally just myself with a guitar and a harmonica, but occasionally a friend comes along and plays the fiddle. Generally I'll play for two hours and then pack up. And I'm a terrible singer, so it's not all about the singing.

Least I've ever made was on a weekday, £5, by myself. The most I've made was on a Saturday and it was £23. The average is about £14 on Saturday and £8 on a weekday.
I've got that Roland Microcube. A good cheap amp but when playing clean it's way too quiet. At least for me. I've done twice that street thing and earned about 50e both times. Had two acoustic guitars (6-string and 12-string). I can't really sing very well so I had my friend Jenny with me. We played about 3 hours each time. Mostly acoustic covers of famous rock songs but also some songs that I had written. Thanks to her amazing voice we actually earned some money and nobody tried to kill us. Even though there was this one guy who yelled at us and told us to **** off but he was so drunk he could hardly walk.
Opera is when a guy gets stabbed in the back and, instead of bleeding, he sings.
Ed Gardner
Quote by SomeEvilDude
I do it every Saturday and when I can during school holidays and whatnot.

It's generally just myself with a guitar and a harmonica, but occasionally a friend comes along and plays the fiddle. Generally I'll play for two hours and then pack up. And I'm a terrible singer, so it's not all about the singing.

Least I've ever made was on a weekday, £5, by myself. The most I've made was on a Saturday and it was £23. The average is about £14 on Saturday and £8 on a weekday.

i would definetly toss you a dollar if i heard the devil went down to georgia
Quote by cappucino108
me and the boy should be doing this tomorrow
well he is, i'm watching
Quote by SteveHouse
Also you're off topic. This thread is about Reva eating snowmen.
Quote by str84ever
No because you need a license and I'm not buying one.

indeed. in america atleast. most other countries are probably fairer towards theyre musically inspired. its because its hard for them to tax your income... so u just buy a one time license and they hope you dont really make that much.
ehh
Quote by skaguitarist53
indeed. in america atleast. most other countries are probably fairer towards theyre musically inspired. its because its hard for them to tax your income... so u just buy a one time license and they hope you dont really make that much.

In Britian, as far as I'm aware, the set up is that legally you're supposed to have a liscence, but it's up to local councils to hand them out if they see appropriate.

For exampe, where I live, they don't require you to have a liscence. They just hand you a rule sheet and send you on your merry way. Whereas in London, you be arrested for doing it without one.
no liscence needed in canada im pretty sure
benchiefjr
UG's Metalcore Guitarist

four times the fun

I want to go river-rafting on top of them

A license is mandatory in Canada, however I have never been even asked to produce one and most buskers don't even know that licenses exist. Might be different further West though.
wat about ottawa im pretty sure there isnt a law
benchiefjr
UG's Metalcore Guitarist

four times the fun

I want to go river-rafting on top of them

Quote by str84ever
Yesh or it is illegal will it is over here anyway.

I have seen people being asked to produce their licenses to the police.

On some streets here you don't need a license to busk.
Like Grafton St. Anyone can get on there and start busking...

As far as i know...

I've never done it but a few of my friends have... I'm deciding to do it someday though...
In australia, every local council has their own laws about these things.

Wouldn't it be like that in america?

And what songs do you people play?

I personally wouldn't attempt improvising. Too many people are way too used to hearing a 4/4 powerchord I, IV, V progression (or emo/pop rock), Improvising would make blood pour out of their ears.
        |\
[U]        | |                     [/U]
[U]        |/     .-.              [/U]
[U]       /|_     `-’       |      [/U]
[U]      //| \      |       |      [/U]
[U]     | \|_ |     |     .-|      [/U]
      *-|-*    (_)     `-’
        |
        L.
Quote by urik

you have to get battterys for it ever week or so for it. but its not a bad amp it was my first
Sigs Are For Pussies
I've got a micro cube...
It fits in my bag!!!

Though i never used it with batteries but it says it can go for 8hrs on the batteries... doesn't sound too bad...
Quote by demonofthenight
And what songs do you people play?

I personally wouldn't attempt improvising. Too many people are way too used to hearing a 4/4 powerchord I, IV, V progression (or emo/pop rock), Improvising would make blood pour out of their ears.

Livin' On A Prayer. Great song to do.

As well as that, just lots of stuff. Bob Dylan, Neil Young, Runrig, Woody Guthrie, a couple of my own, a few traditional numbers. Then, if the whether is not so good I'll throw in the songs 'Canada', 'The River' and 'The Ghost Of Tom Joad' - by Runrig and Bruce Springsteen respectively - and if the weather is nice and sunny a whole load of Bob Marley songs.

I personally wouldn't reccomend improvising because people aren't as good as they think they are, will probably mess up and nobody'll give them any money.
I was out today and got 25 in an hour and a half. I use my Eston 1975 semi acoustic 12 string with an Ashton battery amp. I play a few john butler trio songs then go home.

The licenses in Sydney are cheap. $40 for the whole year or $10 for 3 months, just get that and there really isn't any rules other than don't get in the way.
Quote by af_the_fragile
I've got a micro cube...
It fits in my bag!!!

Though i never used it with batteries but it says it can go for 8hrs on the batteries... doesn't sound too bad...

E-hi5 to microcube owners
Sigs Are For Pussies
Me and the new lead singer of misery signals busked one time during lunch at our high school. We got enough to buy a mickey!!

haha
i'm thinking on going through europe and play music on the street for a couple of months during the summer...that way, i get to go to different places and experience different cultures...idk if it's gonna work though lol
"There's Jimmy Page, the greatest thief of American black music who ever walked the earth."
-Homer Simpson
I love busking...even if you make no money it's still fun. Open mic nights are fun as all get out, too.
Quote by blues-guitarist
i'm thinking on going through europe and play music on the street for a couple of months during the summer...that way, i get to go to different places and experience different cultures...idk if it's gonna work though lol

Well I'm taking a gap-year to go travelling regardless, but that's definately something I'm considering doing as well.

My only drawback is that my brother went off to Portugal for a week; he said he only busked once, for a few hours, and only made 1.47 euros, plus he said it's a pain in the arse to have to lug the guitar everywhere, particularly if you're using buses and trains.