Can anyone cue me in on the advantages & the disadvantages of a fretless bass............also are those Wishbasses any good? Thanks
also, if you are worried about your intonation, many companies are making fretless basses with lines.
“There’s only two ways to sum up music; either it’s good or it’s bad. If it’s good you don’t mess about it, you just enjoy it.” - Louie Armstrong
they give u a better sound if u slide. and its kinda like playing with a slide on a guitar. the notes might sound a little different depending on where u fret it, sightly sharp or sightly flat.
I played a fretless for the first time yesterday, actually. I was awful
The will to neither strive nor cry,
The power to feel with others give.
Calm, calm me more; nor let me die
Before I have begun to live.

-Matthew Arnold

Arguments are to be avoided; they are always vulgar and often convincing.
Advantages: no fret buzz, sounds better Disadvantages: you have to know where the frets would be and where to fret to get the right sound
Whitest Kid U' Know of the Bass Militia
PM Dinky Daisy to join

Originally posted by Civildp1
I can't drink tequila anymore. it makes me do terrible things. Terrible naked things.
i played a fretless for the first time today.....just an hour ago lol

i actually really liked it. there were no fret lines to help me out, but the dots on the side of the neck were very helpful...the tone was really incredible.

u just have work on getting the intonation just right tho, that's about it.
Quote by King_Arthur
Gibson guitar = $500 (guess)

Pack of strings = $5

Messing up your guitar with a bass string = Priceless
Just remember that intonation through the bridge is impossible to get perfect, so the further up the neck you go the less you should rely on the fret liens because they won't be perfectly in tune.
Founder of Jaco society

[22:08:23] <Confusius> I wish I was a bassist
[22:08:26] <Confusius> you fuckers look cool

Want to know how to play bass in jazz? Read this.
Don't let people fool you. The tone isn't for everyone. Most bassists I know don't even own a fretless. They have a very woody sound, similar to an upright bass, but with more response.

They are very tricky to play, and will take you a while to get it down pat.
Is there any songs (examples) that it would be more advantageous to use a fretless over a fretted because Im contemplating buying a fretless Im just not to sure if it would be worth it if i could just use a fretted for that type of song/music

I really do love the sound though I had just played a squier modified fretless jazz and I got a really nice woody growly tone.
Quote by jazz_rock_feel
The best places for fretlesses are in more mellower musics although Steve DiGiorgio uses one in a metal setting, so just remember the only barriers in music is the ones you put up.

I've seen plenty of fretless basses at ska shows
Last.FM

Quote by Applehead
There are some things in life that are universally "good":

Sex, pizza, the smell of fresh washing and slap bass.
Quote by HardR0cker153
Is there any songs (examples) that it would be more advantageous to use a fretless over a fretted because Im contemplating buying a fretless Im just not to sure if it would be worth it if i could just use a fretted for that type of song/music

I really do love the sound though I had just played a squier modified fretless jazz and I got a really nice woody growly tone.

Thats really really funny. Because the fingerboard on those basses isn't wood. It's a type of plastic called Ebonal which is designed to look like ebony. It doesn't sound anything like ebony.
Advantages: I don't remember which song did this but if you do a harmonic on the 12th fret (or where the 12th fret would be) and slide from the 1st on up it makes the coolest sound ever, also as everybody's already said, good tone.

Disadvantages: it'll be hard to find where the frets are unless you get one with lines, another thing is you can't slap or pop on it that much cause it'll mess up the wood.
Awakening The Revenant
Deathcore side project: Malevolent

Quote by shavorules42
start with more poppy music with occasional screams and then work your way into emoish crap like a day to remember and so on.
Quote by elemenohpee
Thats really really funny. Because the fingerboard on those basses isn't wood. It's a type of plastic called Ebonal which is designed to look like ebony. It doesn't sound anything like ebony.

From what I understand it's the same material they make bowling balls out of (sorta).
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
I don't get the fuzz about intonation. It's the same as on a fretted bass.

I've been longing for a fretless bass for a while now and as soon as I get the money I'll do everything to get a fretless rick. That will take some time though because I'm in the middle of taking over a pub right now.
'Have you felt the trembling in your stomach, the bass that leads us there'
Quote by henkschins
I don't get the fuzz about intonation. It's the same as on a fretted bass.

I've been longing for a fretless bass for a while now and as soon as I get the money I'll do everything to get a fretless rick. That will take some time though because I'm in the middle of taking over a pub right now.

The "fuzz" about intonation is that if you are a micrometre off then your note is off. On a fretted bass you can be anywhere withing the fret to get the same note. (Although you should always play right against the fret).