ok i've recently started to play using my fingers after a year of playing with a pick and i was wonderin when i rest my thumb on the pickup to play the E string should i move my thumb down to play the A string and so on or is this just a waste of time.

cheers in advanced
You can really just rest your thumb where it feels most comfortable. I tend to keep it on the pickup and kind of shift my hand down when I'm playing the higher strings.
Last.FM

Quote by Applehead
There are some things in life that are universally "good":

Sex, pizza, the smell of fresh washing and slap bass.
It's all about what you're comfortable with. I usually rest on the pickup but, move to the E string when playing the G string sometimes (Usually without noticing it and, once I do, I move back to the pickup)
Those who have crossed
With direct eyes, to death's other Kingdom
Remember us - if at all - not as lost
Violent souls, but only
As the hollow men
The stuffed men.
I find its much easier to keep the E silent when playing on the D or G string if I use the floating thumb technique.

It also helps for reaching the G and D strings when I play standing up, because I play pretty low.
It's become unconscious for me.
I rest my thumb on the pickup only when playing the e string and rest it on the e string when i play on the a, d or g strings
If I'm playing the E string, I tend to rest my thumb on the pickup. But if I switch to, say, A... My thumb goes on the good ol' E string. Or sometimes, like if I know I'm going to be using the E very soon (Chorus to Miss Murder by AFI being a good example), I'll just keep my thumb on the pickup.

I have heard, however. That if you can manage to make yourself rest on the pickup at all times, you should be able to pluck faster.
It's really what feels the most comfortable to you. I actually rest my thumb on the side of the fingerboard at the very bottom. That or on the pickup. If you like to rest your thumb on the string, do it. If you don't like to, then don't. Simple as that.
eh I usually rest my thumb on teh pickguard, pickups, or not at all. (never on strings)

Either way do what feels best.
I just thought i'd say that this thread is pretty pointless. Everyone is telling him how they play or to play how he wants. Where not getting anywhere!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I love that icon
"Aww what’s the matter? You’re the one who started this game. Now you’re losing and you don’t want to play any more."
-Vegeta
^^ppl have told him its his comfortablity range, no one can tell hi what he is comfertable with

i used to go from the pickguard for pickign the E to rwesting on the E for everything else but my new bass dosent have apickup where i pluck so when im on the E my thumb jsut kinda floats in the air not resting on anything, its habit

when Moses brought down the plagues upon Egypt one of them involved Behringer amps

Dont be so humble, your not that great....
I don't use it, I leave my thumb on my pickup, I rest my thumb on my B string if I'm trying a fast run on the D or G sometimes, but I find it more comfortable to leave it on the pickup.
Quote by Demonikk
+1
I live by the method: 3 or less orange warning labels, and it's safe as a kitten

Quote by Charlatan_001
EDIT: Sammcl pretty much got it dead on.
Quote by Kurnalklank
ok i've recently started to play using my fingers after a year of playing with a pick and i was wonderin when i rest my thumb on the pickup to play the E string should i move my thumb down to play the A string and so on or is this just a waste of time.

cheers in advanced

i would totally ignore what feels comfortable as comfortable is only what you are used to

to get the best speed out of your picking hand you should keep your thumb on the string below that of which you are playing. And if playing on the E/B string use the pickup

It will slow you down at first (it did with me) but it quickly becomes second nature and will improve your playing hugely

Also, when you are comfortable with it, if playing on the higher strings, you can lean your thumb back to mute all of the lower strings to give you an awesome sound.

Its hard and takes ages to perfect (im still tying to do so) but dont give up and go back to the pick

keep going and it will be awesome =]
Quote by AlexYeh?
i would totally ignore what feels comfortable as comfortable is only what you are used to

to get the best speed out of your picking hand you should keep your thumb on the string below that of which you are playing. And if playing on the E/B string use the pickup

It will slow you down at first (it did with me) but it quickly becomes second nature and will improve your playing hugely

Also, when you are comfortable with it, if playing on the higher strings, you can lean your thumb back to mute all of the lower strings to give you an awesome sound.

Its hard and takes ages to perfect (im still tying to do so) but dont give up and go back to the pick

the most helpful reply i gotta say cheers mate
Quote by AlexYeh?

Don't try to pass off a technique as incorrect or correct please. There is better and worse suited techniques for everybody out there. I played your way for the first 6 months of my playing. When my teacher told me to try and keep it on the pickup, I played and was faster than I ever played before. Not all techniques are the best for other people. Some are--like fretting hand position--but most aren't.