Hey guys! I am a lil new here but I need some help for amps. OK I am a heavy metal guitarest who plays too much lamb of god. And I use an RG fixed Ibanz guitar. But I only have a 70 wat amp, I want a 150 wat, but the amp I want is only about 150 but sounds like 200. That is a Mesa Boogie tripple rectifier amp head. And once I showed my parents it at the store, they were very supprised about the price. I looked all over ebay for it, but I couldnt find a difference in prices.

My parents want me to get a different kind of amp and I need some help, is mesa what I need. Or should I reconsider something else? Please help!!!!!!!!!!!!
Metallica hater For Life
Last edited by coolerguy101 at Aug 24, 2007,
wow.........ummmm...yeah.....lol.......if your parents will buy you a mesa triple rec,....yes that should suit your sound kid.....damn
ummm try Ebay for a Randall WARHEAD. they dont make em any more but if i remember correctly they make had 150 watt heads and 250 watt heads. and the distortion is ****in kick ass. they allso have a combo amp but dont bother with it
Quote by coolerguy101
Hey guys! I am a lil new here but I need some help for amps. OK I am a heavy metal guitarest who plays too much lamb of god. And I use an RG fixed Ibanz guitar. But I only have a 70 wat amp, I want a 150 wat, but the amp I want is only about 150 but sounds like 200. That is a Mesa Boogie tripple rectifier amp head. And once I showed my parents it, they were very supprised about the price. I looked all over ebay for it, but I couldnt find a difference in prices.

My parents want me to get a different kind of amp and I need some help, is mesa what I need. Or should I reconsider something else? Please help!!!!!!!!!!!!

You don't need a 150 watt valve amp, seriously. My 50 watter makes my house shake.

You could "settle" for the dual rectifier, it's the same but 100 watts.

I can't believe your parents will actually buy you a mesa.
A dwarf might hear you. What then?

My Music
you do NOT need 150 watts valve. Even if you're gigging- that could raise the roof of a football stadium.
40-50 watts valve is more than enough for large gigs.
Quote by Pookie6
Yngwi3, You win this whole monstrosity of a thread.

Quote by uk.mace
For the best tingle, use Original Source mint. That shit feels amazing on your balls.

Godfather of The Diezel Mafia
Quote by NoobMuncher3000
Randall RG75D.

Bad. Ass.

Going by your name I'm guessing you must eat yourself commonly.

Anyways Mesa F-50, Mark IV, Genz Benz El Diablo.

ALl good amps (Mark IV's better imo.) and they will all save you a truckload of pretty pennys.
Hey guys thanks! But the probeblem is I WANT MY PARENTS to buy a mesa, and so far it looks like I might just have too. Thank alot!!!!!!!
Metallica hater For Life
Do understand that with a 150w tube amp you could potentially piss off people three states away (this is an estimate) which equates to quite a few irritated individuals dialing the police. Also note that a lot of amps won't drive all the tubes hard at lower volume levels and the beautiful (and/or brutal) tone you bought the amp for may never come into fruition unless Bonnaroo, Lollapalooza, and Glastonbury are on your "things to do" list over the next few months.

As such, most people don't need 150 watts. On that note, most people don't need 100 watts. To be perfectly honest, most people don't need 50 watts, but the line must be drawn somewhere. Occasionally you run into the interesting situation of an amp company making a specific model only available in a high wattage version (ENGL Invader, Peavey 5150, Soldano Decatone, whatnot) and this forces forces the decision of purchasing a higher wattage amp, which in this case is fine because all of the aforementioned still sound pretty good at lower volumes.

Also, please understand that amp companies are well aware of the marketing potential of high wattage numbers, and this should only apply to uneducated buyers. The actual maximum volume difference between a 100w head and it's 50w counterpart equates to something like 3 decibels. Even so, when you calculate speaker efficiency, signal degradation, and the (seemingly) amazing properties of PA systems with monitors, it's hard to tell the difference. There's a reason why Epiphone can bank on their decision to produce the Valve Junior, and why Ashdown had to cease production of the Fallen Angel (not just for reliability issues, mind you).

I would gladly trade my 100w amp for a 50w version of the same thing.......if it were available (I suppose I could get Mike Soldano to custom build one for me, but I have other things that require my financial attention) and I'm not alone.
ESP LTD EC-256 and a Fender Deluxe VM
Yea I've got a 50w amp, and it's hard to turn it above 2 with out pissing off the people i live with
Quote by CL/\SH

Quote by sanitarium1
...for the gigs im going to be playing its going to be 60% tone and 40% stage look, and I'd like the look of my rig to be able to back up its sound.

No.
No.
NO.
GOD DAMMIT NO.
Here's a story about why 150 watts is pointless.

I played a very very large show with a friends Triple Rectifier full stack... I warmed up like usual and wanted to see how loud it really was. I turned the master to 8.5/9 and the volume made me [literally] sick.

During the show the amp was nearly too loud with the master set at 4.5

A 50 watt amp run at 10 will sound much better and just as loud as a 150 watt amp run at 4 or 5.
Member of UG Gain whores.
PM Gpderek09 to join!
Quote by Kendall
Do understand that with a 150w tube amp you could potentially piss off people three states away (this is an estimate) which equates to quite a few irritated individuals dialing the police. Also note that a lot of amps won't drive all the tubes hard at lower volume levels and the beautiful (and/or brutal) tone you bought the amp for may never come into fruition unless Bonnaroo, Lollapalooza, and Glastonbury are on your "things to do" list over the next few months.

As such, most people don't need 150 watts. On that note, most people don't need 100 watts. To be perfectly honest, most people don't need 50 watts, but the line must be drawn somewhere. Occasionally you run into the interesting situation of an amp company making a specific model only available in a high wattage version (ENGL Invader, Peavey 5150, Soldano Decatone, whatnot) and this forces forces the decision of purchasing a higher wattage amp, which in this case is fine because all of the aforementioned still sound pretty good at lower volumes.

Also, please understand that amp companies are well aware of the marketing potential of high wattage numbers, and this should only apply to uneducated buyers. The actual maximum volume difference between a 100w head and it's 50w counterpart equates to something like 3 decibels. Even so, when you calculate speaker efficiency, signal degradation, and the (seemingly) amazing properties of PA systems with monitors, it's hard to tell the difference. There's a reason why Epiphone can bank on their decision to produce the Valve Junior, and why Ashdown had to cease production of the Fallen Angel (not just for reliability issues, mind you).

I would gladly trade my 100w amp for a 50w version of the same thing.......if it were available (I suppose I could get Mike Soldano to custom build one for me, but I have other things that require my financial attention) and I'm not alone.

excellent post.

I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
^I have a 2:90 power amp. Gonna be like 2 Duel rectos side by side! bye bye ears!

Well check out the MK IV seen as LoG use those amps them selves!
^ hah, i have a 100 watt engl. it didn't come in a 50 watt version (though it has triode pentode operation which drops the volume a bit).
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Also not invading the thread.

^But seeing at each side of the power amp is 90watts would a 100watt rated cab be safe? Or should i go for 150watts?
I'm just asking what kind of amp i should get???????????? quit being so grumpy people!!
Metallica hater For Life
coolerguy101
Cooler User

spoiled brat get a mesa mark IV
Why the mesa obsession? IMO... if you want an amp that expensive, you should get off your arse and work for it. Anyway... it sounds like you want an expensive high wattage amp because of the name and numbers behind it. You'll NEVER be able to get a mesa triple, dual or even single recto to saturate at any practice volume without some kind of an attenuator. The fact you say "I only have a 70 watt amp but want a 150 watt." concerns me somewhat in how materialistic it is. An amplifier is a musical tool - somewhat like a guitar. It's like saying "My guitar only has 22 frets, but I want one with 200 frets ... that I'll never use"
Utterly pointless. Unless you are gigging in a band, I wouldn't even consider a mesa valve amp for metal, as it won't sound great at low volumes, and is very expensive and impractical. I suggest you look at a Roland cube or something.
Quote by Skraeling86
That's a lot of booze. Frankly, I'm impressed. You're of a stronger timber than the average man, jimbob! Hail you.

Quote by Bubban
Yes you should go to a doctor, fucking moron. We can't do anything about your hemorrhoid.

Quote by jimbob78
Why the mesa obsession? IMO... if you want an amp that expensive, you should get off your arse and work for it. Anyway... it sounds like you want an expensive high wattage amp because of the name and numbers behind it. You'll NEVER be able to get a mesa triple, dual or even single recto to saturate at any practice volume without some kind of an attenuator. The fact you say "I only have a 70 watt amp but want a 150 watt." concerns me somewhat in how materialistic it is. An amplifier is a musical tool - somewhat like a guitar. It's like saying "My guitar only has 22 frets, but I want one with 200 frets ... that I'll never use"
Utterly pointless. Unless you are gigging in a band, I wouldn't even consider a mesa valve amp for metal, as it won't sound great at low volumes, and is very expensive and impractical. I suggest you look at a Roland cube or something.

the guys interested in mesa and you recommend a roland cube ?!?!?!?!?!?!?!

what 70w amp you usin at the moment dude ???
Quote by hippyheaven1
the guys interested in mesa and you recommend a roland cube ?!?!?!?!?!?!?!

what 70w amp you usin at the moment dude ???

It's perfectly reasonable IMHO, that guy will never, in a million years, use the power that a MESA can pump out; even by tube standards MESA amps are powerful as hell.

But if you really must go down the boogie road then get something smaller like an express 25:5; with an extension cab that will be loud enough for anything you will eve need.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
mate... the guy hasnt outlined what hell be using the amp for... you have assumed hell only be using it in his bedroom. What if he has plans to join a gigging band? what if hes already in a gigging band ??? a roland cube just aint gonna cut the mustard ! If he can swing getting his folks to buy him a mesa, great... good luck to him

I just find it really dogmatic that so many people have shown obvious signs of the little green monster cos his parents might buy this amp for him and have treated him with contempt as a result.

maybe we should find out what his needs are before jumping to conclusions ??

what are your needs coolerguy ???