is bass easy to learn? ive been wondering since guitar is to hard..... and ive been practicing its just annoying
I think the general consensus around here is "easy to learn, but difficult to be good at"
Last.FM

Quote by Applehead
There are some things in life that are universally "good":

Sex, pizza, the smell of fresh washing and slap bass.
if all you wanna do is play roots, yes

if you want to do slap, tap, and other awesome stuff, then no
SMALL CLONE of the EHX User's Guild

Quote by Ishiga
NOSOUPFORYOU.

Quote by Gurgle!Argh!
this is barely a question. only an idiot would buy a zune.
Agree with Confused, easy to learn, hard to be good at. Don't think that it's easier cause it has 4 strings. If you're listening to a band, and the bassist messes up, you hear it, probably more so than guitarists.

Hope it helps.

Roy
Current Bassist and Vocalist for The Illegal Exploits

Gear
2004 Fender Jazz
1978 Peavey Centurion MkIII
1975 MusicMan GH115
2008 Acoustic B410

My band
Purevolume
I found bass easy at first, cuz it was all just root notes and I thought that was just what bass was. Then, once I learned to listen for the bass parts in songs, I realized that there was so much more.

Personally, if you want to actually play the bass, than its not easier than guitar. If you want to pound root notes with a pick, its easier. But people who do that shouldn't be called bassists, imo. They give us all a bad name cuz thts the kind of bassist the general public sees everyday
if you think guitar is hard and you dont want to play it because its hard you shouldnt even play music stupid
As a person who began on bass and then switched to guitar, I can tell you that for me it was easier to pick up bass, but harder to get good at. I play mostly metal and some classic rock, and I even dabble into country, and for what I was playing, the bass was definitely easier. But then again, I wasn't slapping, popping, or playing chords.

And how long have you been playing for? What's giving you trouble? When I went from bass to guitar I had a hell of a time because I had never played a chord before, and it was a pain getting the spacing of my fingers down. That all came in time with practice and it's now automatic.
easy to learn root notes, but not so easy to do stuff like Flea or DFA 1979 stuff. It might be more rewarding and get u more recognition and a band if u learn alot of harder stuff. but its overall alot easier to write good songs on a guitar.
Quote by Confused4930
I think the general consensus around here is "easy to learn, but difficult to be good at"

I believe the saying is, "Easy to learn but hard to master".

And it is. I think that might be because guitar is more difficult to begin on so there is a smaller transition to becoming good. On bass it's simple to learn but then when you get into technique it become harder.
Last edited by BodaciousZac at Aug 24, 2007,
I agree with all of the above, take a tab, play the same notes on the same strings on guitar, then do it on bass. Tell me which is easier.
I'm going to be boring here and agree with everything all of you just said
"Aww what’s the matter? You’re the one who started this game. Now you’re losing and you don’t want to play any more."
-Vegeta
If you're not going to practice then you're not going to be good at anything. Bass takes practice just like guitar does. Nothing worth having comes cheap. You want to play guitar, practice your ass off until you can.
yea, dont give up on guitar cause its too hard, thats called being a bitch :p

but yea bass is harder to master.

and keep in mind that will also feed the guitarists ego with the whole *bass is for failed guitarists* thing

when Moses brought down the plagues upon Egypt one of them involved Behringer amps

Dont be so humble, your not that great....
Quote by BodaciousZac
I believe the saying is, "Easy to learn but hard to master".

And it is. I think that might be because guitar is more difficult to begin on so there is a smaller transition to becoming good. On bass it's simple to learn but then when you get into technique it become harder.

Well put, +1.
Quote by Demonikk
+1
I live by the method: 3 or less orange warning labels, and it's safe as a kitten

Quote by Charlatan_001
EDIT: Sammcl pretty much got it dead on.
it's a musical instrument. it's as hard as any other musical instrument if you actually want to progress past the first step of the instrument which is blindly playing roots. good luck though wiht picking up the instrument
I shot JR

Oh Canada Our Home and Native Land
Quote by jazz_rock_feel
It's as hard as you make it yadayadayada feel good moment... annd..... were done.

+1
Well it depends how you start playing, my teacher threw walking and theory at me as I just started and it was pretty hard, and it got alot harder when he threw chormatic approach at me.
But if you want to play punk and just do roots then just learn from tabs and you will stay at the bottom of bass experience.
You can only be good at bass if you have the ear, and even a tad of that natural rythme, I find. If you don't have that, you'll find it to be difficult to keep your play with the guitar and drums in the background.

I've been teaching myself, and getting a bit ahead of my guitarist, and I've found it to be rather easy. Just block out other sounds.

So, like it's been said, bass is easy to learn, it's keeping the rythm that's difficult.
if you don't like guitar you won't bass. If you did'nt have enough determination to play guitar, then you won't want to play bass simply, both require the same amount of knowledge and ability, so basically don't bother, and just pro guitar hero or something.
Actually this calls for a good pokemon reference. You start as one and eventually you "evolve", IMO in bass playing it's harder to pass these little lines, to "evolve" as I just said.
A bass playing guy->Bassist->Musician
Quote by watchingmefall
Actually this calls for a good pokemon reference. You start as one and eventually you "evolve", IMO in bass playing it's harder to pass these little lines, to "evolve" as I just said.
A bass playing guy->Bassist->Musician

You are now officially a nerd
if you just wanna play roots, yea it's easy. i just started teaching my self the advanced methods of tapping, slapping and popping. it's harder to play the advanced methods for bass than it is for guitar, at least imo.
GAS List:
Nothing
if you suck at guitar and can't be bothered to play it, what chance have you got with bass or any instrument for that matter? unfortunately it takes time to get good at anything but if you say practising is annoying, there's no point in playing it.
Quote by Fast_Bear
fix'd

Isn't that the wrong way round?
Founder of Jaco society

[22:08:23] <Confusius> I wish I was a bassist
[22:08:26] <Confusius> you fuckers look cool

Want to know how to play bass in jazz? Read this.
Quote by sinan90
Isn't that the wrong way round?

Oh man, that was before I lisened to these awesome solos by him!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oByk5QIcFjo
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pWgU-jcz4jo
(srsly, look up pete wentz solo for an AWESOME selection!)
Watching him play really wants to make me quit. . . .
Founder of Jaco society

^Cannot compare to his godly skill?

Seriously, I started to play bass because I thought "Oh man, that thing looks like soo much more with it than what people use it for!"

And looking at ****ty players makes want to play more, to proove them wrong!
I am 15 and have only been playin for 7 months but i piked it up very easily and i found slapping and tapping and popping the haredest but i have learnt so i say bass is easy to learn but takes a while to progress and get better
Quote by Fast_Bear
^Cannot compare to his godly skill?

Exactly.
Founder of Jaco society