looking for some to really improve accuracy with the pick my hand seem to be sunched well but the pick just goes wild when i try to push the envelope on my speed, any suggestions on what to focus on to improve?
start slow with a metrenome and once you feel comfortable go up about 5-8 bpm and repeat the process.
Quote by csn00b
I hate seeing cute girls topless and what not, it just feels wrong.
use a simple sclae in any key, like the blues scale, and play it over and over gradually increasing speed
find Steve Vai's 10 hour guitar workout and play some of the licks on it to a metronome
http://ultimate-guitar.com/tabs/s/steve_vai/10-hour_guitar_workout_tab.htm
it helps boost speed and accuracy

make sure to use a metronome
it is VERY important
Quote by :-D
I once saw somebody carry a Guitar Hero controller in a case to protect it. He probably should have packed his testicles in there too, seeing as he won't need to use those for quite a while.

Explorer Club member #4
PM JEST87 to join
get a metronome. set it to a slow tempo, and go through and play all the subdivisions.
start with half notes for 4 measures, the do quarter notes (all at the same tempo) then 8th notes, 8th note triplets, 16ths, 16th note triplets etc. (i usually just stop there.) then take the tempo up 4-6 bpm... repeat. start very slow though, and make sure you do it as consistently as possible
thanks thats basically what i have been doing but seeing little progress and the sound of the metronome is starting to make me sick.

I would like to be able to play fast enogh to get the intro to rufio - above me and atreyu - bleeding mascara

i seem to get a little faster the first few days then it a platueau and cant get past it.

any advice?
if you feel stuck set the metrenome faster and just kill yourself, then come back to the original speed and it should feel easier.
Quote by csn00b
Quote by jpgilbert701
start slow with a metrenome and once you feel comfortable go up about 5-8 bpm and repeat the process.

5-8 bpm

Thats insane to do. My metrenome doesn't even go that low.
click tracks can get really fun if they're programmable. My buddy somehow got his to make a tat sound. Plus you can make it do totally awesome rthyms. (sycopated and stuff)

Pluse My buddy can make his go 999 bpm. Take that slayer.
Don't worry about left hand for a moment. Simply play down up down up down up on one string for 4-8 notes, then the next for 4-8.

The exercise I used was like this. Hit the E string, then the A, then the E again, then the D, then the E again, then the G, E, B, E, High E, then start from the A and go A, E, A, D, A, G etc. make sure to be constantly picking Up-Down-Up-Down-Up-down, regardless of direction from the string you started on.
Quote by Ibanez20th
5-8 bpm

I'm not sure what you mean but i meant say you start at like 80. Go 80 til you feel comfortable then up to 85,then up to 90, then up 95 and so on and so on. I didn' mean start at 5bpm.
Quote by csn00b
Quote by Ibanez20th
5-8 bpm

Go up 5-8 bpm, not start at 5-8 bpm.
Quote by dudetheman
So what? I wasted like 5 minutes watching DaddyTwoFoot's avatar.

Metalheads are the worst thing that ever happened to metal.
ok thanks for the help i will try it

just for some reference how would you guys pick this

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
-----10------9----10------10------9----10----------10------12------10------10-----10-----9-----9
7-7-----7-7----7-----8-8-----8-8----8-----12-12------12------12------10------10-----10---10----10
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

its all gravy but i was told before that i shouldnt pick from the inside of two strings as in the last half of this of this what do you think?
Quote by DirtyMcCurty
ok thanks for the help i will try it

just for some reference how would you guys pick this

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
-----10------9----10------10------9----10----------10------12------10------10-----10-----9-----9
7-7-----7-7----7-----8-8-----8-8----8-----12-12------12------12------10------10-----10---10----10
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

its all gravy but i was told before that i shouldnt pick from the inside of two strings as in the last half of this of this what do you think?

start it with an upstroke if you dont want to get stuck in bw two strings.

EDIT:actually get comfortable starting with an upstroke and a downstroke cause you'll eventually run into a lick where its inevitable to not get stuck in between the two strings
Quote by csn00b
Last edited by jpgilbert701 at Aug 25, 2007,
Quote by jpgilbert701
if you feel stuck set the metrenome faster and just kill yourself, then come back to the original speed and it should feel easier.

John Petrucci's- Rock Discipline

I believe a better way of saying this and a better way to practice speed building...

If you're increasing the speed in 4-8 BPM increments and it's starting to provide a little challenge to you, for example: let's say you start having slight difficulty playing a lick at 120 BPM playing 16th notes; Go ahead and set the metronome to about 130-136 and give that a shot, if you fail miserably, go back down to 124 instead of 120. It should seem very easy to you. If you take large steps forward and baby steps back you will constantly make progress.
Major of 7 String Legion 7 > 6

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
Schecter Avenger Custom Shop
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio
i prefer outside picking but you need to master both
Quote by csn00b
e ---------------7-----------------7-8-7-----------7-8-10-8-7
B-----7-8-10-----10-8-7-8-10--------10-8-10---------------10
G
D
A
E
Frank Zappa's not dead. He just smells funny.
Last edited by sheumack111 at Aug 25, 2007,
Quote by MESAexplorer

I believe a better way of saying this and a better way to practice speed building...

If you're increasing the speed in 4-8 BPM increments and it's starting to provide a little challenge to you, for example: let's say you start having slight difficulty playing a lick at 120 BPM playing 16th notes; Go ahead and set the metronome to about 130-136 and give that a shot, if you fail miserably, go back down to 124 instead of 120. It should seem very easy to you. If you take large steps forward and baby steps back you will constantly make progress.

i really, really disagree with that whole theory. If it's getting difficult for you at 120, make sure you can play it there, then take it up to 124. Jacking it up to 136 and then proving to yourself that you can't play it doesn't accomplish anything really. In fact it's almost counter-productive. You force yourself to try and do something you can't, and in doing so, you'll do a lot of wrong things. You'll probably get your muscles all tense (you want to be relaxed) you'll change how you pick to try and make it easier, and you'll be extremely messy. All of those are the exact opposites of what you want to do. If you just stick at 120, get it perfect, then move it up a little bit, you'll get much better results.

that's just my thoughts on the matter
Yup, there's absolutley no point trying to do anything that's too far ahead of you. If you can play something at, for example, 90bpm but it's supposed to be 150 there's no point tring to play it at 150. Instead make sure you have it flawless at 90, them go up by small increments....5pm is perfect. It's the ONLY way to increase your speed without sacrificing accuracy, And ultimately, speed without accuracy is worthless.

Consciously trying to become faster doesn't woek, it just leads to tense, sloppy playing. You need to focus on playing things accurately and the speed develops naturally. It takes a LONG time (as in years), but it's the only way.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com