My first outdoor gig is tomarrow. I will be playing heavy metal. Anybody have any experience playing an outdoor gig? I would appreciate a heads up as to what to expect. Are earplugs good to wear when playing outdoor shows? Sometimes wearing earplugs allows me to hear the rest of the band better.

Thanks Guys
Expect MANY complaints from neighbors..Especially the neighbors behind you
Oh GOD I hate outdoor gigs SO much. You're lucky you aren't in Florida (actually you might be, but I hope you aren't). We're playing a gig tomorrow with like 10 bands and all but us and one other are playing outside. We have seniority so we're headlining and thats why we're indoors. I seriously don't know why so many people get the bright idea to have an outdoor show in the dead of summer. HHMMMM, its a billion degrees outside! I would quite possibly die if I didn't have air conditioning! LETS HAVE A SHOW OUTSIDE!!! WITH BANDS!!!

EDIT: I just realized my post didn't help you at all lol. So wear a white t-shirt, shorts, drink lots of water, don't leave your gear out in the heat, and have extra picks ready because they get slippery with all the sweating you'll be doing.
We're only strays.
Playing outside officially sucks. One, it's hot as hell so expect NO movement from the crowd. Two every place around will complain so you have to keep you're equipment turned down. And three it just sucks.
I played an outdoor show at a fair last night and i didn't really have a problem. it's just personal preference I guess.
Quote by Krost
a Ghost possessed my dog and made him buy a 50 cent CD.

Watch it now, watch it!

"I died a little inside when Steve Irwin died...RIP"

Honorary Masshole. PM SOADFanSince'98 to join.
Quote by Martyr's Prayer
Oh GOD I hate outdoor gigs SO much. You're lucky you aren't in Florida (actually you might be, but I hope you aren't). We're playing a gig tomorrow with like 10 bands and all but us and one other are playing outside. We have seniority so we're headlining and thats why we're indoors. I seriously don't know why so many people get the bright idea to have an outdoor show in the dead of summer. HHMMMM, its a billion degrees outside! I would quite possibly die if I didn't have air conditioning! LETS HAVE A SHOW OUTSIDE!!! WITH BANDS!!!

EDIT: I just realized my post didn't help you at all lol. So wear a white t-shirt, shorts, drink lots of water, don't leave your gear out in the heat, and have extra picks ready because they get slippery with all the sweating you'll be doing.

dude....i feel your pain, haha...it's like hot as hell up here too man, about 98-105 every...day...the past two weeks..

but yeah, i second EVERYTHING he said, make sure you drink lots of water if it's hot where you are man
Yeah, it is over 100F hear too. How about being able to hear when your playing outside. Is it harder to make out what everyone else is playing?
Quote by c2dzmm
Are earplugs good to wear when playing outdoor shows?

Earplugs are always good to wear. I used to be completely against them, but then I blew out both my eardrums at practice and spent the next 16 hours curled in a ball from the worst pain I've ever felt, then the next 3 weeks with damn near zero hearing.

Wear earplugs, they protect your ears and they make everything sound much, much, much better.
When you were born, you cried, and the world rejoiced. Live your life in such a manner that when you die, the world cries and you rejoice.
Kabir
my first and only so far gig was outdoors (4th of july bitches!) and it was /hot/.. so hot i had sweat on my guitar and it made it hard to play.. wear those little knit wristbands to keep the sweat off the neck of the guitar, and consider a bandana to whipe ur face with inbetween songs, cause its annoying as **** and no groupy gets turned on by that (unless ur Motley Crue then they're hardly even human) and drink a /lot/ of water.. infact go for baggy cargo cutoffs and keep bottles of water in the pockets
best of luck man
Jesus wouldn't give you the sweat off of his balls if you were dying of thirst.
Quote by Code-E
God, you've gotta be UG's only moron!

Quote by magnum1117
that's right,you certainly are UG's only moron.

Quote by necrosis1193
Read the moron's posts, ironically enough he knows what he says.
i just had an outdoor gig yesterday so...

make sure you have plenty of bottled water. for earplugs, it depends on where you're standing and how much power you're using. just do whatever feels and sounds right and have fun. if you're playing under a shaded area, that's good too.
Quote by steven seagull
There are no boring scales, just boring guitarists.

Quote by convictionless
dude calebrocker, that first song on your list almost made me cry
11/10
you win my good sir

^ My For Mom cover

Check out my MP3s!!
I played an outdoor gig in the middle of winter.... froze my fingers... also it was late so the humidity or dew or watever screwed with the strings.. thank god for tuners is all i can say! lol
LollipopSkeletonsLollipopSkeletons
LollipopSkeletonsLollipopSkeletons