I've been playing guitar for about one and a half years. Just about a month ago I started a band. We want to be in a metal/powerpunk band. We already cover a few songs (deuce and paranoid) but we want to write our own. Our band has only two original songs and they're repetitive. I wouldn't be in such a hurry but we want to play a gig in october, and I'm stuck. Every song i write sounds the same as the last one so i scrap it. And its not like I started writing songs last week, I've been writing for nearly a year. I started wondering if maybe someone on here could give me some tips on writing my own cool riffs and solos.

Thanks in advance.
i always thought my riffing was under par, and i eventually had to just force myself to think it wasnt, but ive always been over critical of my riffs, which is good, because you constantly write better things then, but its also very stressful because you never feel good enough

dunno what to tell you, keep writing, experiment with different scales, different rhythms, different time signatures, etc
Quote by beadhangingOne
There is no music but metal and muhammad is its prophet.
Try using different scales, or a different approach to writing. Listen to music you normally don't listen to. Also, it's not always easy to sit down and just start writing a song. Personally, I prefer to sit down and jam by myself, until I come up with something worthwhile.
bro to start writing material so early is not good, play as much covers as possible man for atleast another half year, it's easiest to get gig that way. also than you have a wide array of influences and and you can "lend". also start using different scales and go through diffrent music styles and combine stuff
Quote by jimmypage1904
bro to start writing material so early is not good, play as much covers as possible man for atleast another half year, it's easiest to get gig that way. also than you have a wide array of influences and and you can "lend". also start using different scales and go through diffrent music styles and combine stuff
You can (I would say should but I'd get flamed) write as early as you want.
Using different scales won't necessarily help, but using different musical styles would

The only advice I have is to write something stupidly simple (like a short melody) and build of that. Maybe transpose it lower or higher or something, maybe add chords to it. This is generally how I write riffs.

Maybe also inspire yourself from other musicians (if your writing, its generally good to have a wide range of musical taster), and don't write religiously to any style of music. You can modify your song later to be metal or whatever.

Also, use arpeggios and chord progressions. Using these two, combined with the riffs/melodie you wrote, generally enhance your songs. I'd also suggest using the ordinary diatonic set of chords, Imaj7 iimin7 iiimin7 IVmaj7 V7 vimin7 vii0diminished (remember, you dont have to use seventh chords)

Also study how some musicians go from intro to verse to chorus. When your listening to music, really think about what they're doing and why.
        |\
[U]        | |                     [/U]
[U]        |/     .-.              [/U]
[U]       /|_     `-’       |      [/U]
[U]      //| \      |       |      [/U]
[U]     | \|_ |     |     .-|      [/U]
      *-|-*    (_)     `-’
        |
        L.