Allright so I went to Guitar center looking for a decent mic to Record lead vocals with.

I was just going to go with the Shure sm58 but the lady helping me persuaded me to get the Ev N/d767a.

so my questions is...

Did the bitch rip me off or was it worth it?\

( If this belongs in another thread i'll delete it and repost)

Edit: The Mic
Smile alot today... okay?
Last edited by Sumthing Catchy at Aug 25, 2007,
you'd probably get more help in riffs and recordings, but since you already made this, I'll try to help you.

I've never heard of the EvNd767a. Any chance we could get a link to a product description?
"There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. Some kind of high powered mutant never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die."-Duke
i'd go for Shure SM58 for vocals and SM57 for instruments definitely.
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Custom Hand-wired Amplifiers and Effect Pedals.

Est. 2007

Source to everything I say about Guitars, Pedals, and Amplifiers: I make them.

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
Quote by PhillyC
The Shure Sm58 is mainly for live vocals, not necessarily for recording.

I think it's a good all round mic. I don't see how a mic would necessarily be good for live vocals and not for recording...
Quote by Turd_Ferguson
I think it's a good all round mic. I don't see how a mic would necessarily be good for live vocals and not for recording...

Some mics sacrifice sound clarity for durability in a live setting. the SM58 is one of them. You'll have a much harder time breaking a SM58 than say a Neumann BCM 705.

with that said, it's still a fine amateur recording mic.
"There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. Some kind of high powered mutant never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die."-Duke
civildp1,
amature recording mic??? WTF IS WRONG WITH YOU?!?!?!! the sm58 is the same as the sm57 (58 has the wind sheild/bubble on it) which has been used IN almost EVERY STUDIO EVER b/c its one of the best sounding and durable mics ever. guitar cabs, drums, vocals, its used for everything dude.
Well Enough Alone
Quote by guitardude11
civildp1,
amature recording mic??? WTF IS WRONG WITH YOU?!?!?!! the sm58 is the same as the sm57 (58 has the wind sheild/bubble on it) which has been used IN almost EVERY STUDIO EVER b/c its one of the best sounding and durable mics ever. guitar cabs, drums, vocals, its used for everything dude.

Have you ever used one? Have you ever been in a real studio? The 58 and 57 are basically the same mic, but they're by no means the best sounding you can get. They're both used everywhere in live situations because they won't break. And they will suit you well in a home studio, or a student studio or whatever. Real studios do not, however, use them. because with a real budget, there's WAY better mics out there. Here's what Steve Albini says about the 57
http://www.electrical.com/item.php?page=1&pic=pictures/1.jpg

All of that is beside the point, because even though a 58 will suit the TS's needs just fine, he didn't buy one.
Quote by guitardude11
civildp1,
I disagree.

The 57 and 58 share the same element but they are a bit different. The 57 is able to withstand higher spl without distortion. It rolls off a little earlier on the treble and and goes slightly deeper into the bass.

Neither of these mics could remotely be called "best sounding ever". They are both ruggedly constructed, but they are average in terms of sound. The design is decades old. You use a SM and you know exactly what you will get. They are quite average and predictable. Although many of todays mics in the $100 price range will blow them away in a studio, few will hold hold up to the rigors of gigging the way a SM will.

About the part in bold:

If you are going to insult someone, it makes you look rather silly when you misspell a simple word like amateur or shield and in the same breath ask "WTF IS WRONG WITH YOU?!?!?!!"

Perhaps insulting someone is not the best way to go anyway. Maybe you could just say you disagree and state why. That way if both of you hold part of the truth, you can both learn something from the discussion, rather than getting in a pissing contest. Do you think this might be a better choice?

Good luck,
SYK
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
I release my inner liberal every morning when I take a shit.
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
I wont be like those jerks who dedicate their beliefs to logic and reaosn.
Shure is usually a safe choice Ive found with mics, but Ive never even heard of the other mic. so I'm not sure.
Quote by Yespleasevicar
NevermorePsalm thank you for showing me how clever and witty one person can be in just a few sentances. My God i wanna be like u so much! In fact we all do. Well done

Steven Wilson and Mikael Akerfeldt own my soul.
well, the sm 58 is an industry standard (and has been for years) for live preformances. but im not sure for recording.
sup?
Quote by civildp1
Have you ever used one? Have you ever been in a real studio? Real studios do not, however, use them.

hahaha. the question is have you ever been to a "real" studio? i never said they were the greatest mic ever. i said one of the best for sound and durability.(i was more referring to the 57) anyways, a mic is a mic. sure, the crappy 20$ radio shack mics you buy for VOIP wont sound good. but mic 1 wont necessarily sound better than mic 2. the quality of the recording all comes down to the source. if you have a good sounding amp, pretty much any mic is gonna pic up that good sound and it will sound good. same for drums, vocals, etc. you cannot say which mic will sound better. take a nuemann and a 57, its very possible you might like the 57 for that recording, how the room dynamics play out, the frequencies picked up by said mic, etc... there are too many variables to take into account and say 'this mic is teh bestest'. and dont say the 58 and 57 are amatuer mics because quite frankly, that makes you sound foolish. they are in fact used in pretty much all studios, pro or home or "amatuer" as you call it. the 57 is the go to amp mic in countless high-quality records. even metallica uses them in the studio people use them for a reason live too, its not 'just because they're durable'. they sound great and last a very long time. clearly, you arent sure of what your telling the TS, the sm58 and sm57 are not 'amatuer mics'. learn something before giving somebody false facts. i know im not an expert in this area, but at least i have a little knowledge of how recording works.

and SYK, i should know better than to blow up like that. sorry. but it pissed me off.

have fun with whatever mic you get TS, just do what feels right.
Well Enough Alone
My shure is my favorite mic my band has, It was only 50 bucks, and works better than our $150 dollar mic.
SYK hit the nail on the head, it may not be the best mic in the world quality wise, but it can take a beating.

I used to record everything, I mean EVERYTHING with a Seinhiesser 602 bass drum mic, it worked fine and could handle high spl.

I bought a sm58, and quite frankly wasnt blown away by the preformance of it after being reccomnded one by a recording expert at school ***** swore by them. Mind you, he was the kind of twat you see who wore a PRS bassball cap, and pulled stupid faces at any chance to grab a pupils squier / encore, then put his foot on the desk and wail. ANYWAY.

By fat the best mic ive ever seen, heard, used is my p[air of cheap ass Stagg pencil condensor mics.

I set them up in XY formation for recording nearly everything, so to immatate a pair of ears. It's scary as you can pick up birds tweeting outside in a tree, or someone starting their car down the street, so I turn the gain right down. However, the SPL isnt fantastic, so I use a an old t-shirt to stop the pop.
Squier Classic Vibe Custom
Vox Pathfinder 15R
Fender Jazz Bass
nick dixon, dont forget any mic can sound better than another in any given situation. it all has to do with the room, dynamics, the source, etc. take your gear in a totally different room/environment, and the way things record will be totally different.
Well Enough Alone
for recording, you should probably get a mic specifically for it. I bought a MX mic, which is made by Marshall, for under 200$. SM58's are pretty solid, all-round mics. I've never heard of the other mic you're talking about, but usually ppl don't talk musicians into buying ****ty equipment
l> l> /\ l\
l>
l\ /~\ l/