Quote by Eminored
Yes. If you want to learn anything it's important to learn chords. Just about everything is based on chords, and it's annoying when lead people say differently. >_<
It's also important to learn rhythm, so you can get your timing good.

ok cool

nice rag avi btw what server you play?
Well, it sure will help alot.
WHY IS EVERYONE IN THE PIT A FUCKING METALCORE KID
I won't say it is impossible to solo over chords you don't know, but it is rare to be able to do so. That is basically like writing a book without knowing how to read. First, learn every note on every string. Learn every chord. Learn all the scales. Learn all the modes of all the scales. Learn how to play rhythm. Learn music theory, then you can MAYBE be a lead guitarist, MAYBE. You can't just fly a plane if you know a pilot.
leave me alone, please.
The better you learn how to do chords, the better you'll progress in learning how to play. You don't just need them for certain songs, but they help a lot with finger movement, accuracy and rhythm so essentially they're the base of learning how to play.
you dont have to if the song you're playing only uses powerchords but its good to know.
Quote by kingjiyoon
you dont have to if the song you're playing only uses powerchords but its good to know.

don't listen to this advise. It is bad advise. It doesn't matter if you are only playing power chords, or the actual chords. The ROOT notes are what determine the KEY. The notes that make up the rest of the chord decide whether or not the use of certain notes.
leave me alone, please.