i'm looking into getting an amp within the next couple of months.

also would it matter if i got a nice head and a real cheap cabinet? do i lose quality?
Fender Deluxe Jazz Bass
Gallien-Kreuger Backline 600
ESP LTD EC-1000
Line 6 Spider III 75
You don't need a halfstack, but the Windsor only comes stacked, so I'd recommend that. But, if the Windsor came in a combo(it will) thats my recomendation. Combo> Stack.
FOR AWESOME HANDWOUND PICKUPS, CONTACT CorduroyEW
BOOBS
Quote by ratmblink123
Good for you. Have a cookie.

But really... there's no cookie. And if there was, you wouldn't get one.
You cant run a nice head into a cheap cab and expect it to sound good.
You can, however, buy an inexpensive cab like a used Avatar that will sound great.

I would recommend a tube combo, like a 2x12. You can get a great sounding amp [Mesa, Marshall, Peavey] and not have to worry about a cab.

A 50 watt 2x12 is more than loud enough. 100 watts through a 2x12 is extreme volume.

If you're set on a stack, then you could look into a B52 AT 100. They're alright for the price with a lot of gain. You can run a JCM900 with an overdrive pedal and get some nice sounds too.

You can get a Mesa 2x12 for $800.
Member of UG Gain whores.
PM Gpderek09 to join!
Quote by chase312
You cant run a nice head into a cheap cab and expect it to sound good.
You can, however, buy an inexpensive cab like a used Avatar that will sound great.

I would recommend a tube combo, like a 2x12. You can get a great sounding amp [Mesa, Marshall, Peavey] and not have to worry about a cab.

A 50 watt 2x12 is more than loud enough. 100 watts through a 2x12 is extreme volume.

If you're set on a stack, then you could look into a B52 AT 100. They're alright for the price with a lot of gain. You can run a JCM900 with an overdrive pedal and get some nice sounds too.

You can get a Mesa 2x12 for $800.

well is there a way to put a head on my current amp (crate xt120r 2X12's but not tube)
Fender Deluxe Jazz Bass
ESP LTD EC-1000
Line 6 Spider III 75
Quote by B3RZ3RK3R
well is there a way to put a head on my current amp (crate xt120r 2X12's but not tube)

well, you can, but its pretty stupid IMO. You would have to wire it as a cab with an input jack and it would just be very time consuming and a bad idea in general.

Crate speakers are terrible. The only good Crate cab is the BV cab with V30s.
PM Gpderek09 to join!
B-52
AT series (tube) or Stealth (tube sim...sounds the same to me)
I got my 4X12 stealth for $600...actually $500, they took some off...ha
but those amps are great (IMHO)
My gear:
Schecter C-1+ w/ Seymour duncan Jazz (neck) and Full Shred (bridge), with Sperzels
B-52 LG-100A 4x12 half stack
Rogue LX405 Bass
Yamaha classical
Some sort of acoustic Squier
Boss Flanger
Lyon Chorus
Quote by metalupurass45
peavey valveking!! they come in combos and stacks

Valve kings are alright. They don't have enough gain for heavier metal though.
PM Gpderek09 to join!
I don't understand some of you people... I see halfstack and a price under $1000. And half of you wont settle for a combo. Not saying you wont settle for a combo, but I've seen alot of people decline and still insist on getting the halfstack. I'm going to tell you, unless you're willing to spend more than $1800 (Canadian here), you wont have a reliable amp... A combo for your price is your best bet. You'll get the same tone as a halfstack, and probably the same volume too.

And for your question.. well a "nice" head will run you more than your price range (depends what amp too). And yes a cheap cab will make your tone sound like crap. Compared to a well made cab with good speakers.

Just get a nice combo. Chase312 mentioned some great ones to look at.
Guitars:
Epiphone Elitist Les Paul Custom WCR and Dimarzio equipped
Amp:
Marshall 2266 Vintage Modern
Marshall 1960TV
Effects:
Dunlop Crybaby From Hell
Quote by SchecterC-1+Man
B-52
AT series (tube) or Stealth (tube sim...sounds the same to me)
I got my 4X12 stealth for $600...actually $500, they took some off...ha
but those amps are great (IMHO)

Actually, The Stealth is all tube... and there is a slight difference in the tone.
PM Gpderek09 to join!
Quote by ^Slash^
I don't understand some of you people... I see halfstack and a price under $1000. And half of you wont settle for a combo. Not saying you wont settle for a combo, but I've seen alot of people decline and still insist on getting the halfstack. I'm going to tell you, unless you're willing to spend more than $1800 (Canadian here), you wont have a reliable amp... A combo for your price is your best bet. You'll get the same tone as a halfstack, and probably the same volume too.

And for your question.. well a "nice" head will run you more than your price range (depends what amp too). And yes a cheap cab will make your tone sound like crap. Compared to a well made cab with good speakers.

Just get a nice combo. Chase312 mentioned some great ones to look at.

i'll look into the combo stuff... i just need to make sure its loud enough to play some shows
Fender Deluxe Jazz Bass
ESP LTD EC-1000
Line 6 Spider III 75
Quote by B3RZ3RK3R
i'll look into the combo stuff... i just need to make sure its loud enough to play some shows

You can overpower a drumset with a 100watt tube combo.

Set the master at 12 o' clock and you're probally going to be told to turn it down.
PM Gpderek09 to join!
A used Peavey 5150 2x12 combo should fit the bill just shy of perfectly.
ESP LTD EC-256 and a Fender Deluxe VM
Even a 50 watt tube will do. Just because it's 2 speakers less does not mean you'll have enough power. But beleive me with your current budget a combo is your best bet and if you have chosen to go with a combo, will hats off to you!

As buying good combo is a million times better than buying some cheap stack.
Guitars:
Epiphone Elitist Les Paul Custom WCR and Dimarzio equipped
Amp:
Marshall 2266 Vintage Modern
Marshall 1960TV
Effects:
Dunlop Crybaby From Hell
thanks for the w\help guys next time i go to guitar center for some strings and stuff 'ill try out some of the tube combos
Fender Deluxe Jazz Bass
ESP LTD EC-1000
Line 6 Spider III 75
Quote by B3RZ3RK3R

Mesa's made a couple 1x12 combos that are TOO LOUD for MOST shows. You can definitely gig comfortably with a combo.
You Don't Need a halfstack.

You Don't Need 100W.

Quote by jj1565
i love you slats.