I must thank whoever told me to build a pedal instead of an amp as my first real electronics project. I got a TS808 kit from OLCircuits.com and i must say it was an enlightening experience when i tried to populate the circuit board to find out that some of the resistors werent exact and i had to learn how to read the bands and use a mulitmeter to figure out what went where. Even more funny when i had to correct their own build manual because of inconsitencies with the caps. If i had gone with the tubie build id be dead by now...or just out 600 bucks with a fried POS.

Anywho-my next thought is although i must say this experience with the company is a lil low, i also noticed that they have several "amp" pedals. Ive been eyeing an AC30 at GC and wondering about the world of boutique with the DC30. They have both in pedal form which although are SS type pedals i must say i love the sound clips which are also through SS amps.

My questions is, is it possible to make a "reverse" hybrid tube amp. Most hybrids have a tube in their preamps and an SS power section so im wondering if the reverse is possible, A SS preamp from the pedals and a tube power section.

Also if there are any good pedals incorperating a tube in them that run off batteries to avoid my untimely death, id love to hear about them. Im most likely gonna see what becomes of the pedal i have now and then if they cant do anything about it ill send it back in and get a BYOC.
Quote by cloud_x_13
I must thank whoever told me to build a pedal instead of an amp as my first real electronics project. I got a TS808 kit from OLCircuits.com and i must say it was an enlightening experience when i tried to populate the circuit board to find out that some of the resistors werent exact and i had to learn how to read the bands and use a mulitmeter to figure out what went where. Even more funny when i had to correct their own build manual because of inconsitencies with the caps. If i had gone with the tubie build id be dead by now...or just out 600 bucks with a fried POS.

Anywho-my next thought is although i must say this experience with the company is a lil low, i also noticed that they have several "amp" pedals. Ive been eyeing an AC30 at GC and wondering about the world of boutique with the DC30. They have both in pedal form which although are SS type pedals i must say i love the sound clips which are also through SS amps.

My questions is, is it possible to make a "reverse" hybrid tube amp. Most hybrids have a tube in their preamps and an SS power section so im wondering if the reverse is possible, A SS preamp from the pedals and a tube power section.

Also if there are any good pedals incorperating a tube in them that run off batteries to avoid my untimely death, id love to hear about them. Im most likely gonna see what becomes of the pedal i have now and then if they cant do anything about it ill send it back in and get a BYOC.

A hybrid amp in the other way is definitely do-able - I know of at least one Peavey amp (can't remember the name of it at the moment though) that had a SS pre-amp and a 100w tube power amp section.
There are a few low-voltage tube pedals (basically running the tube in a starved-plate configuration). Two that immediately spring to mind are the Shaka Tube and the Chandler Tube Driver - you can find schematics for these by doing a search over at www.diystompboxes.com. I've heard a lot of good things about the Shaka Tube, it's on my list of things to build at the moment.
"Everybody, one day will die and be forgotten. Act and behave in a way that will make life interesting and fun. Find a passion, form relationships, don't be afraid to get out there and fuck what everyone else thinks."
^ sweet. also im wondering, would i basically run the pedal the same way and put something like a tube depot monoblock at the end. i mean like connect the out puts to the mono block input and change the monoblock output to a 1/4 inch jack for a speaker?

Once again im not doing this tomorrow, but i figured i should ask now before i forget. \

Thanks again
Quote by cloud_x_13
^ sweet. also im wondering, would i basically run the pedal the same way and put something like a tube depot monoblock at the end. i mean like connect the out puts to the mono block input and change the monoblock output to a 1/4 inch jack for a speaker?

Once again im not doing this tomorrow, but i figured i should ask now before i forget. \

Thanks again

That's pretty much the way to go. If you're handy with PCB's, there's a PCB layout for the Shaka Tube somewhere here.
"Everybody, one day will die and be forgotten. Act and behave in a way that will make life interesting and fun. Find a passion, form relationships, don't be afraid to get out there and fuck what everyone else thinks."