Ok, I don't think this was covered in the sticky, but if was just point me in the right direction.

Ok, I had a thread a couple of days ago in the Acoustic Forum called My Acoustic's Neck asking about this, and I just thought I'd probably get more advice here, they basically told me it would cause no problem with the sound (I figured that). What heppened is I somehow rubbed the finish off or something. It had I guess like a matte finish, ya know where it's not shiny at all, and looked almost like there was some kinda powder on it I was using ghs guitar gloss on it, and all this black stuff was coming off, so thinking it was dirt or something, I kept going until I noticed I was starting to see the wood showing through in some places and realized what was going on.

So now I'm in the predicament of fixing this. I'd assume I'd need to take off the frets, sand off the old finish, and redo it before putting the frets back on. I need to know how I take off/put back on the frets, and what kind of finish I should use. It'd be awesome if somebody's give me some step by step instructions or else link me to somewhere that will.

I'm scared of trying to mess with the frets without some knowledge of em.

I figure it'd be pretty cool to do it myself, cuz I've done woodwork etc. with my dad and know how to go about the finishing sanding finishing etc. But would my local guitar shop fix this for me? and how much do you think they'd charge if they did?
Last edited by The4thHorsemen at Aug 25, 2007,
Wait, do you mean you rubbed the finish off the back of the next relative to the fretboard? Why would you need to take your frets off to refinish it?
"Everybody, one day will die and be forgotten. Act and behave in a way that will make life interesting and fun. Find a passion, form relationships, don't be afraid to get out there and fuck what everyone else thinks."
Quote by The4thHorsemen
no, on the fret side.... yea that would be kinda stupid, but you're on the wrong side, flip her over

So you cleaned your fretboard with guitar polish 0.o That wasn't the super-smartest thing to do in the world, I guess. I've never played a guitar with a 'finished' fretboard...
What I'd do is give the whole thing a good rub down with lemon oil. Put a fair bit on so it will soak into the fretboard. After this, use a soft cloth to work it into the fretboard and clean all the gunk off. Can you get pics so we know what you're talking about?
"Everybody, one day will die and be forgotten. Act and behave in a way that will make life interesting and fun. Find a passion, form relationships, don't be afraid to get out there and fuck what everyone else thinks."
... I don't mean finished i mean..... whatever the hell you call it!!! I'll try to figure out a way of getting a pic on here... no camera, but I think my mom's phone might do it... probably look awful but.... I'll find a way.
Sounds to me like the wood has been 'ebonised', which is when a wood is stained or painted or whatever to look like ebony, though of course it is not.
Double Neck Project - Winner of 2006 GB&C "Best guitar build from scratch", "(Best) Most expensive build" and "Best Idea" awards - FINISHED!

Member #2 of the UG Luthier's club. PM AlGeeEater to join.
damn... I can't find her phone, or my dad's, and I know we don't have a digital camera..... I even tried to lay it on the scanner..... you couldn't see anything.....

pretty much what I wanta do is completely redo the neck (fret side) of my acoustic guitar....
Quote by Calum_Barrow
Sounds to me like the wood has been 'ebonised', which is when a wood is stained or painted or whatever to look like ebony, though of course it is not.

I've seen a few cheap acoustics like that. I was thinking it might just be some sort of oil/stain on the fretboard to make it look better than the bare would. Do you think it would be worth reapplying true/tung oil to it?
oh wait..... ok i see, I am a dumbass who know's nothing about this....... so basicly they just dyed the wood? no kinda of... seal on the top? I am stupid to the highest degree for using guitar polish on it then.... so what should I do? take off the old dye(how?) and dye it differently? that would still require taking off frets right? or wait... no the metal wouldn't be stained by the dye would it? :perplexed:

edit: and yea, it's a cheap guitar, $80 but it sounds ok IMO, It's an Alpine GA202BK

Double Edit: or maybe I should just remove the old coloring (sanding or something?) and then stain it a dark color, as it has a black body?
Last edited by The4thHorsemen at Aug 25, 2007,
Quote by The4thHorsemen
oh wait..... ok i see, I am a dumbass who know's nothing about this....... so basicly they just dyed the wood? no kinda of... seal on the top? I am stupid to the highest degree for using guitar polish on it then.... so what should I do? take off the old dye(how?) and dye it differently? that would still require taking off frets right? or wait... no the metal wouldn't be stained by the dye would it? :perplexed:

edit: and yea, it's a cheap guitar, $80 but it sounds ok IMO, It's an Alpine GA202BK

Double Edit: or maybe I should just remove the old coloring (sanding or something?) and then stain it a dark color, as it has a black body?

Clean it with lemon oil first, then take pictures. We can go from there.
Quote by Calum_Barrow

Yup.

www.stewmac.com has fretboard dye

Don't take the frets off and don't sand anything. If you want to redye the fretboard then you don't want to use oil on it either. Clean it with spit. Yes... Spit on the guitar neck and scrub it clean. Then dye the fretboard according the instructions on the dye.
Not taking any online orders.
spit..... as in saliva...... you're sh!tin me... surely.... right?.... yea he's sh!ttin me, so go ahead with the lemon oil?
Quote by The4thHorsemen
spit..... as in saliva...... you're sh!tin me... surely.... right?.... yea he's sh!ttin me, so go ahead with the lemon oil?

Nope, he's dead right. Cord is basically THE man to go to for anything to do with acoustics.
Oiling the fretboard will make it trickier to refinish with a dye, if that's the path you want to take.

There is actually a really good reason for why it works so well. Spit has chemicals and bacteria in it that break down food. It does the same thing to the grime your fretboard so it acts like soap without drying it out. Your spit is also thicker than water so it won't soak into the wood like water. So basically, you get a soap and water clean without the soap and water. Nobody ever believes that it will work the 1st time you tell them, but they try it just because curiosity gets the best of them.
Not taking any online orders.