I would like to know. Does the wood of the guitar help in the tone and clarity of the guitar? Maybe sustain?
Yep. Not sure about above post, but it definately is important.
Quote by Td_Nights
Prank calls?

What are you, 10?

Be a man and go take a shit on someone's car.

Quote by Fate_of_Mind
I skimmed through, saw pregnancy test, and "why is there blood". I'm going to assume you just punched her in the ovaries, problem solved.

Xbox Live GT: VRSlashGnR
Quote by kyrreca
yes

+1 to all questions.
ESP CUSTOM SHOP HORIZON
FENDER USA STRAT
JACKSON DK2M
Peavey 5150ii w/ Marshall 1960DM cab
I would think it's a factor but the combination of string to pick-up and amplifier creates such a huge contrasting range that tone from wood gets buried under these. Especially if a lot of wank is involved. But I think the harder, denser woods absorb extraneous noise. I have a 57 Gretch that is a hollow body. It's great clean but with distortion, it just feedsback. My Les Paul rarely does this. I think volume was the main reason guitar makers went from hollow body resonant sound to solid wood that had little resonance because the dense wood absorb it best. The sound was able to go from string to amp without over driven harmonics from resonance. Les Pauls are hard woods (that's why they're so heavy!) But many other lighter woods can have those qualities too.
Along with the amp, it's the most important part of the sound and tone. I personally love mahogany (I like heavy and warm guitars), but it's all about preference.
- Fender American Standard Ash Telecaster w/ DiMarzio Chopper T & Twang King
- Alhambra 5P
- Laney Lionheart L5T-112
- Line 6 POD XT
- Suhr Shiba Drive
- MXR Carbon Copy Analog Delay
- Dunlop Cry Baby
The only wood that you want to avoid is Agathis (think Cedar.) It is possible however to make a good sounding guitar from almost anything (including plastic, i.e. Dan Armstrong and aluminum, i.e. Kramer.)