I'm hoping to replace my mg30 with a new, quality and pretty small tube amp. The Marshall Dsl401 is twice as much as the Peavey Valveking in price. Should I buy the Valveking or save for the DSL401.

Peavey

Marshall

I'm looking for tone cable of playing Led Zeppelin, Megadeth, Cacophony, BB King, Mastodon, Wes Montgomery. I know some of those will require a good OD pedal.

So my questions are, Will both of these handle all the music that ble play, Which is the better buy, should I save up more and get the Marshall and finally are they reliable will they not break and last me a long time?
I would say look used for a DSL. It seems so much better than the Valveking, in fact, I may end up getting it as my next amp.
Guitar:
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Amplifier:
Fender Blues Junior - Eminence Red, White and Blues
Effects:
Fulltone OCD
Electro-Harmonix Nano Small Stone
Ibanez DE-7 Delay/Echo
Dunlop Crybaby
Electro-Harmonix Big Muff Pi
i got one. it's okay, but to get the awesome tone, u need to go loud.
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Custom Hand-wired Amplifiers and Effect Pedals.

Est. 2007

Source to everything I say about Guitars, Pedals, and Amplifiers: I make them.

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
I would say... choose the Peavey BUT try them both...
I have the Peavey and it's a great amp but not for heavy distorted pieces of music but more the brit-pop stuff etc.
it looks like the DSL has overheating issues, which isnt good w/ tubes. I would say the Valveking, but the DSL is way more expensive and a Marshal, which most ppl reguard as much better. I would at least try them both before deciding.
i'd say look for a used jcm900 4500, but out of those two, the marshall, even though i don't really like the dsl's much.
Marshall doesn't say it's better...

Marshall and Peavey both have a great reputation on amps.... but they also have cheap amps that suck...
I don't see why for example marshall is better then Peavey. They both have great and bad amps but they're different.
So you gotta check it out for yourself, just play on both!
i have that DSL, its my first tube amp and havnt had any problems yet and you can get a pretty wide range of tones IMO so id go for the DSL
Quote by greety

Yes we also shot JFK and faked the moon landing here at the UG Metal Forum.
Quote by qotsa1998
it looks like the DSL has overheating issues, which isnt good w/ tubes. I would say the Valveking, but the DSL is way more expensive and a Marshal, which most ppl reguard as much better. I would at least try them both before deciding.

the dsl401 hasnt had overheating problems for over 4 years
I love my Valveking but I would look for a used DSL. Either amp will handle the bands you listed. I prefer the distortion of the VK (6L6's as opposed to EL34's.) VK may have a little more headroom, and the 6L6 tubes distortion sounds sweeter to my ears. The VK is more American voiced with British influence while the DSL is strictly British. The cab and wood of the DSL is more gig-worthy, and the speaker may be better.
None of them are that impressive.
Look at a used Marshall JCM800 or 900 combo.
"Breathe, breathe in the air
Don't be afraid to care"

Fender Strat/Tokai LS80>few pedals>Orange Rocker 30
the DSL is really good if you set it right.

treb. 4
bass 0
mid 5
gain 6
volume 1 1/4
master 10
reverb 10

that's what i use in conjunction with a 10 band eq and a distortion plus and it's pretty awesome

also you will need a fan for high volume playing. they have a heat issue(still worth it for the tone)
Last edited by British_Steal at Aug 25, 2007,
lots of reverb and master...

my reverb doesn't work though. its unplugged. where do u have your reverb cables plugged in??? can u please tell me?

or answer my thread here:
https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=657751
DSL help please!!!
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Custom Hand-wired Amplifiers and Effect Pedals.

Est. 2007

Source to everything I say about Guitars, Pedals, and Amplifiers: I make them.

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard