Can someone explain to me how to do a tap, pinch, and artificial harmonic?
There are LOADS of lessons on them in the lesson section of this site....
Tap harmonic: hold down the string, and tap 12 frets higher. Apply a lot of force and do it very quickly, and make sure you tap DIRECTLY ABOVE the fret.

And I always thought "pinch" and "artificial" harmonics were the same thing?
thanks, that just leaves tap harmonics, i couldn't find one on that
ok i got tap harmonics, sound piss easy, from what i know pinch harmonics are done by strumming the note but muting the fundamental with your thumb creating a a higher tone of the note, and artificial, theres something about going an octave higher of the note and lightly touching... i dont know those ones too well
you need a video for pinches to get the hang of it
Here:
http://youtube.com/watch?v=5I5O8P-r5Rk
Hope that helps

For a tapped harmonic, fist you need to know how to sound a normal harmonic and the frets where the harmonics are located: 3,5,7,12 etc.
Basically fret any note (A, 2nd fret G string) and tap the harmonics with the picking hand, (only two frets up). This works for fretting any note, but you must keep the divisions the same (Fretting 3rd would result in harmonics on the 6th, 8th, 10th and 15th frets)
i learned to do pinch harmonics through watching a few youtube videos and practice. you cant have someone tell you how to do it cuz everyone has their own way of doing it to where it sounds good. just find /your/ technique
lol i always thought artificial harmonics was more of a violin oriented thing cos the fingerboard is small enough, anyways its like you put your index finger down and then use your pinky to lightly touch the string to create a harmonic thats usually two octaves above the note that would be played by the index finger itself; it takes years of practice

so i think artificial harmonics here is more of a "neither 12th fret or 5th fret harmonic" aka like fret 2.3
i have a 'white guitar'
For pinch harmonics, one of the most important things when try to get the sound right is to find out where your right hand needs to be to get the clearest sound. Each guitar is different and the easiest way to find it is try doing a tap harmonic until you find the sweet spot. That's where you want to aim f or when you're pinching. Also, choke up on the pick and for me, its easier to use a thicker pick, but that's personal preference. If you're having trouble getting the note to ring, add some crunch to your sound and it'll help the note to ring. Also, check out some of the videos that people posted.
But, to make things clear - when you do a pinch harmonic while playing ie. a G note on low E string your hand should be in different position than when you do a pinch harmonic playing for example D note on te same string, because the string gets shorter and it's half, it's 1/3, 1/4, 1/5 etc., which you must find to do any kind of harmonic, are in different places. That's why pinch harmonics are so hard, because for each note you have to find a different place where the harmonic really rings.
I have been trying pinch harmonics for a few weeks but nothing. Maybe I'm not doing it right but from the way I see it my amp is crap. The sound always looked miles away from other guitar player's sound(I'm saying sound as in, even if I just pick 1 note once, which basicly can't really be done wrong, it never had a good sound). My amp is a Marshall G15RCD, which I know isn't good but, is it THAT bad? Then my guitar is an Ibanez GAX 70, which I know isn't the shet either, but still. Shouldn't I be able to get a decent sound with pinch harmonics, or any note actually? Now, I'm just fine with harmonics. But when it comes to taps, I think I learned it wrong. The way I first learned it was, you have to fret for example, E string at 3rd fret, place your right hand to basicly do a regular harmonic 12 frets higher, the 15th fret in this case, and pick as you are making the harmonic(I use my index). Now how could I find the "sweet spot" like wach said. I can't really pick at differents spots on the string if my index is restricted on staying on the 15h fret. So I conclude, that's the wrong way. And on pinch harmonics, do I need to let my thumb rest over the string or do I just need to kinda pick it at the same time(like the guy in the vid says)? Any help will be appreciated.
Quote by MH400
a girl on the interwebz?

You have 2 options.

1. Tits.
2. GTFO.

doesnt matter what amp you use.
Even if you have hardly any distortion, in fact, even when you have NO distortion, if you are doing a pinch harmonic correctly, you were hear a high pitched sound, even if it is a very low volume.

But since you are starting out, set your distortion as high as it can go. A good pinch to do thats easy is the 10th fret on the G string.
Quote by Spike6sic6
I have been trying pinch harmonics for a few weeks but nothing. Maybe I'm not doing it right but from the way I see it my amp is crap. The sound always looked miles away from other guitar player's sound(I'm saying sound as in, even if I just pick 1 note once, which basicly can't really be done wrong, it never had a good sound). My amp is a Marshall G15RCD, which I know isn't good but, is it THAT bad? Then my guitar is an Ibanez GAX 70, which I know isn't the shet either, but still. Shouldn't I be able to get a decent sound with pinch harmonics, or any note actually? Now, I'm just fine with harmonics. But when it comes to taps, I think I learned it wrong. The way I first learned it was, you have to fret for example, E string at 3rd fret, place your right hand to basicly do a regular harmonic 12 frets higher, the 15th fret in this case, and pick as you are making the harmonic(I use my index). Now how could I find the "sweet spot" like wach said. I can't really pick at differents spots on the string if my index is restricted on staying on the 15h fret. So I conclude, that's the wrong way. And on pinch harmonics, do I need to let my thumb rest over the string or do I just need to kinda pick it at the same time(like the guy in the vid says)? Any help will be appreciated.

Can anyone tell me if my technique on tap and pinch harmonics is correct? I'd like to add I'm really having a HARD time understanding pinch harmonics. I do think I am able to do them, as I hear 'em once in a while(when I mess up). Really when I use the technique with the right hand thumb, it just sounds exactly the same as a regular harmonic, which makes me think my technique is biased.

EDIT: It would be appreciated if you guys gave me a very detailed descriptions of the possible techniques(on pinch harmonics). Now I read the lesson. On some of them, I just didn't understand, and other techniques, they don't work. My main language is french, and altho I'm pretty near fluent in english, listening to someone speaking is sometimes hard, like the guy in the youtube vid, and I'll add his accent didn't help (I am from Canada so the english here is slightly different, which causes me difficulties at understanding people from England). Now if I could understand 100% the technique of pinch harmonics, then I could probably manage to pull em off, after some training, but as I don't get the idea at all, it's gonna be hard. Sorry if I look noobish to you guys at guitar, but I have been playing it for a few years, I can decently play Children of bodom, Metallica, Megadeth's songs and stuff like that, but if there's something I never came close understanding, it's those pinch harmonics. I'm dying to learn them and rock off, and any help will be appreciated. If any of you can even add me on MSN or something to help me out, I'll be eternally grateful. I'll add, I'ma do ANYTHING to get to understand(as in understand the way of doing them), I'm dedicated to not giving up on guitar like I did a while back :P. Thanks a lot
Quote by MH400
a girl on the interwebz?

You have 2 options.

1. Tits.
2. GTFO.

Last edited by Spike6sic6 at Sep 10, 2007,
Quote by Spike6sic6
Can anyone tell me if my technique on tap and pinch harmonics is correct? I'd like to add I'm really having a HARD time understanding pinch harmonics. I do think I am able to do them, as I hear 'em once in a while(when I mess up). Really when I use the technique with the right hand thumb, it just sounds exactly the same as a regular harmonic, which makes me think my technique is biased.

EDIT: It would be appreciated if you guys gave me a very detailed descriptions of the possible techniques(on pinch harmonics). Now I read the lesson. On some of them, I just didn't understand, and other techniques, they don't work. My main language is french, and altho I'm pretty near fluent in english, listening to someone speaking is sometimes hard, like the guy in the youtube vid, and I'll add his accent didn't help (I am from Canada so the english here is slightly different, which causes me difficulties at understanding people from England). Now if I could understand 100% the technique of pinch harmonics, then I could probably manage to pull em off, after some training, but as I don't get the idea at all, it's gonna be hard. Sorry if I look noobish to you guys at guitar, but I have been playing it for a few years, I can decently play Children of bodom, Metallica, Megadeth's songs and stuff like that, but if there's something I never came close understanding, it's those pinch harmonics. I'm dying to learn them and rock off, and any help will be appreciated. If any of you can even add me on MSN or something to help me out, I'll be eternally grateful. I'll add, I'ma do ANYTHING to get to understand(as in understand the way of doing them), I'm dedicated to not giving up on guitar like I did a while back :P. Thanks a lot

What I did for Pinch Harmonics (When I was learning) was just to hit the string then hit it with the side of my thumb, then once you have found a good spot keep trying to do it in one motion and you will soon get there. I heard that it is harder to do a Pinch Harmonic on the 5th and 6th strings than the others, so try it on the other strings and keep trying to find that "Sweet spot". Hope this helps.
We ain't pushing the boundaries, we're blowing them up.
We ain't trying to expand the scene, we want the scene to erupt.

Quote by tommo619
What I did for Pinch Harmonics (When I was learning) was just to hit the string then hit it with the side of my thumb, then once you have found a good spot keep trying to do it in one motion and you will soon get there. I heard that it is harder to do a Pinch Harmonic on the 5th and 6th strings than the others, so try it on the other strings and keep trying to find that "Sweet spot". Hope this helps.

The major problem is that I usually hear the same as a usual harmonic. Also, I've seen vids of people doing them and using vibrato/bend at the same time. Am I crazy or what? Cause I don't think doing vibrato on a harmonic is humanly possible. From what I experienced, you need a hum... anchoring spot for your finger, if I can say. Basicly I think vibratoing is impossible without having your finger completly anchored on a spot, to "rotate" around that spot, and pushing your finger to the fret would screw the harmonic, wouldn't it?
Quote by MH400
a girl on the interwebz?

You have 2 options.

1. Tits.
2. GTFO.

Ever listen to ZZ Top's LaGrange? Those squealie notes Billy Gibbons gets in the leads? Those are "pinch" harmonics, if I understand it right. (I can do it all day long, don't know quite what to call it..) Yes you can bend those or use a tremolo arm, once the note starts, you can do what you want with it. It's not the same as the harmonic where you lightly touch an open string at the octave (or a couple other places) and pick it, then you can use the tremolo arm but can't touch the string, it will stop the harmonic. Gibbons is one of the best at that type of harmonics, and he's the guitar player who started me using them long ago. I found out how to do it by accident, then started practicing it. The song "Squank", also on Tres Hombres is almost all pinch harmonics, if I understand the term correctly.

I hold the pick with just a bit sticking out, just enough to grab a string, and keep lots of thumb in the way so it hits it just right, You'll have to tinker with it on your guitar to find the best spots to pick, every guitar is different, Most of the time on dual humbucker guitars about a half inch toward the bridge from the neck pickup is a good place, and just off the edge of the fretboard. Same approximate positions for strat. You just have to work with it to find the good spots on your guitar.
Hmmm...I wonder what this button does...
Quote by Spike6sic6
The major problem is that I usually hear the same as a usual harmonic. Also, I've seen vids of people doing them and using vibrato/bend at the same time. Am I crazy or what? Cause I don't think doing vibrato on a harmonic is humanly possible. From what I experienced, you need a hum... anchoring spot for your finger, if I can say. Basicly I think vibratoing is impossible without having your finger completly anchored on a spot, to "rotate" around that spot, and pushing your finger to the fret would screw the harmonic, wouldn't it?

That doesn't sound like a Pinch Harmonic. Pinch Harmonics/Artificial Harmonics are when you hit the string with your thumb after you pick it and creates an "Artificial Harmonic". On these harmonics you can vibrato/bend as long as it doesn't cut off. A Tap harmonic is when you play a note then tap the harmonic where it was ment to be if it was on an open string. Eg. Play 3rd fret G string then tap a harmonic on 6th, 8th,10th ,15th etc. Sorry if that was a bad explanation.
We ain't pushing the boundaries, we're blowing them up.
We ain't trying to expand the scene, we want the scene to erupt.

Well thanks for the replies, and congratulations to me I FINALLY managed to do them. There was just slight problem when I tried it... I was doing a regular harmonic and trying the thumb thing with my picking hand. Of course, that didn't work at all. Now that I have the right way to do it, I'm just fine, already found the sweet spot for a few notes/strings. I discovered it while playing just a regular riff without any pinches, but then I noticed a pinch(which wasn't intentional) and I told myself "Hey you were completly fretting that note dude, just try the thumb trick with fretting regularly". And bingo now I got it. All I have left to do is practice, practice and practice.
Quote by MH400
a girl on the interwebz?

You have 2 options.

1. Tits.
2. GTFO.

just to clarify, pinch harmonics are sounded with the edge of your thumb. artificial harmonics are sounded with one of teh fingers of your right hand, usually your index. i personally can consistently perform art. harmonics, and make them sound like pinches, but with more sustain. and tapped harmonics are very similar to artificials.
Bear down on the pick, pick, let thumb catch string.
the ladies love when i gyrate my ass in front of a graveyard
i can get the hold of pinching the harmonic but how do you get different notes out of them? c# or D or whateva....??
i wanna do a pinch harmonic on an Ebow
Up the Punx!