Has anybody ever noticed that there tends to be alot of wankers out there who, when asked if they have any sort of chops at all, usualy jump right out and claim they could out sweep Yngwie himself? I notice that alot of people I jam with have absolutly no pick attack when they "sweep." I'm just wondering if anybody has any interesting comments about how a properly swept line should sound. Myself, I hear the attack of the pick just like if I was playing alternate picked runs. So, you tell me...how should a properly swept line sound?
gosh i'm as lost as you are... every time i think i'm sweep picking, i hear someone else and its totally different. It's hard. I can hit each note individually but i have problem with muting as i go, or something along those lines. Keep me updated if anyone has any idea at how it should properly sound
Yeah, I think one of the biggest problems is people aren't really muting the strings enough. Use your wrist on some of the lower strings and you can hear the attack, and the notes don't ring. I'm sure there are other techniques, but that's usually what I try to do.
the most important thing is playing it cleanly....making sure both hands are 100% in sync and making sure the notes dont bleed.....thats what makes a sweep a sweep
-Gear-
Agile 2000
Hand Built Telecaster
Fernandes Acoustic/Electric
Line 6 Flextone 2 with Eminence Red Coat The Wizard Speaker
Roland Cube 15 (Practice Amp)
Cry Baby Wah
Hand Built Overdrive Box (From Ts-808 Schematic)
Hand Built Preamp Box
yea i just try my best to mute all the unused strings the best i can. i like to take a towel and put it on the neck and do some sweeps just to see how it sounds without any extra string noise, then i try to replicate the cleanness with the towel removed. takes lots and lots of practice, and thats still not enough LOL!
Well Enough Alone
it should sound like this... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OfZNw5C6BN4 this my friend paul sweep picking the intro of alaska by between the buried and me. that's what it should sound like.
better_than_you wrote:

"UH OH! They are MAIN STREAM!! Well I gotta throw all their cds out the window and burn all my shirts. damn."

you people are ridiculous. you people are the sell outs.
alexi laiho from children of bodom or muhammad (yes i know i probably spelled his name wrong, i don't give a ****) from necrophagist have some kickass bridge pickup sweeps. theodore ziras has the sick ass sounding sweeps on the neck pickup. it's just taste i guess.
I've sat around for hours to a click...working on arpeggios and such. I find that hearing the pick attack (in my opinion) is something that should let you know that you're hitting the strings the right way. As for muting...try to avoid palm muting the strings. You should just slightly lift away your fretting hand fingers to cut the noise down. Heres another good question, how many people prefer the tone of a neck pickup as opposed to the bridge pickup for a swept run? Since I use EMG's it sounds great both ways for me, although I find that tapped arpeggios sound like video games ha.
Theres two common ways. For some people, they WANT it to sound like small click sounds with just a hint of the notes, bands such as Origin do this to make it seem faster than it really is. They just roll their fingers over the notes just barely hitting them, and quickly roll off. Or, you can do it the normal way and just push that pick down and up, accenting hammer ons and pull offs maybe
mine sound clean on both pickups. i have stock duncan designed pickups on my jackson. they sound decent. but i prefer the bridge pickup. it sounds cooler.
Check out this article (its also been posted in the articles section of this site) http://mikephilippov.com/load_article.php?articleName=sweep_picking_problems

In my opinion, Theodore Ziras, Rusty Cooley and Tom Hess are 3 of the most insane sweep pickers I've ever heard.

Hope this helps a bit.
Anyone looking for input on how to develop their sweep technique should definitely look into Frank Gambale's books and videos. He's probably the most developed and musical sweep picking around, and he knows everything there is to know about the technique. He pretty much wrote the book on modern sweep/economy picking.

His Speed Picking book is essential reading, it contains all you need to know about correct use of the technique. The video Monster Licks And Speed Picking is also worth checking out, and it contains the infamous "Lick That Slurped LA". This is a video of said lick:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9EStcyS1YHM

That's how sweep picking is supposed to sound. Clean, well-defined notes, not just an arpeggiated blur of notes.
Don't argue, just agree.
hey, thats a cool vid from Gambale, he is a great player...

Ziras, Cooley and all the other guys are great too... Personally I love the sound sweep arpeggios, man I could listen/play that stuff all day!!
I'm slowly getting better at sweep picking, but I still get one or two click noises with just a hint of the note occasionaly. But as for 4 string sweeps, I'm perfectly okay with those, it's the 5 and 6 string sweeps that totally mess me up.
Quote by CobAtr
I've sat around for hours to a click...working on arpeggios and such. I find that hearing the pick attack (in my opinion) is something that should let you know that you're hitting the strings the right way. As for muting...try to avoid palm muting the strings. You should just slightly lift away your fretting hand fingers to cut the noise down. Heres another good question, how many people prefer the tone of a neck pickup as opposed to the bridge pickup for a swept run? Since I use EMG's it sounds great both ways for me, although I find that tapped arpeggios sound like video games ha.

Hearing the note, is letting you know your hitting the string the right way.
Quote by fukkindoyle
it should sound like this... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OfZNw5C6BN4 this my friend paul sweep picking the intro of alaska by between the buried and me. that's what it should sound like.

Thats certainly not how sweep picking should sound.
Gear:
Wasburn x-40w/floyd roseOFR
Swineshead venom+warthog pups
Kustom 100 wt quad DFX,Boss MT-2,Ibanez TS-7
~We Rock Out With Our Cocks Out!: UG Naked Club.~
Post a naked picture of yourself with your guitar to join.
Quote by CobAtr
Heres another good question, how many people prefer the tone of a neck pickup as opposed to the bridge pickup for a swept run? Since I use EMG's it sounds great both ways for me, although I find that tapped arpeggios sound like video games ha.

I prefer to use the neck pickup for nearly all my own soloing, but if I'm going over a backing track or doing it completely solo then it helps switch around a bit, change up the tone sometimes.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.