What do you believe gives a person talent? Is it...

Frequent Practice?

Pure luck?

God(s)?

An epiphany?

Simple interest in a subject?

All of the above?
Practice can't give talent, talent means you can attain a standard with less practice than someone without as much talent reaching the same standard.

It's just your genes.
Quote by justinb904
im more of a social godzilla than chameleon

Quote by MetalMessiah665
Alright, I'll give them a try, Japanese Black Speed rarely disappoints.

Quote by azzemojo
Hmm judging from your pic you'd fit in more with a fat busted tribute.
frequent practise!! talent is just a developed skill imo
Gear:
ESP ltd MH-1000
Jackson DK2T
Bugera 6262-212
Roland Cube 30X

I Was at Download 07/08/09/10 Because I'm not a Cheap Bastard and I'm Damn Proud!
There are people who are talented in practicing. So there's more than the above there's that natural je ne sais pas.

UG Private Poker Room

UG Poker Group
Join it

╔╗╔═╦╗
║╚╣║║╚╗
╚═╩═╩═╝
Frequent Practice?
That's definately needed; in my opinion talent's not just given to you, as in nobody gets born with a guitar in their hand.

Pure luck?
This is a contributory factor but never a good reason for talent.

God(s)?
No, but a belief system might help you continue playing.

An epiphany?
Erm.. no.

Simple interest in a subject?
That's definately needed but developed interest through practise and research contributes more.

All of the above? All but the epiphany part.
Quote by Paul Lambeth

Is it lame to quote yourself in your sig?
Talent is something you're born with.
Dear God, do you actually answer prayers?

Yes, but only in a way indistinguishable from random luck or the result of your own efforts.
i'd say its the upbringing, like a child growing up around a dad who plays bass guitar at home, simply the listening of it, could prehaps, influence that

and needless to say, lucky bastards who where randomly born with it
well i like to beleive that its a combination of things....if you were exposed to proper music as a child u could have more of a natural ability with music...or if one of ur parents is a musician....some people are just better with certain things than others....so theres no deffinitive answer....but if uve got it uve got it...and if not just practice harder....my dads a guitarist of 20+ years....so i like to think that gives me a bit of an advantage against a persons with non musician parents....
-Gear-
Agile 2000
Hand Built Telecaster
Fernandes Acoustic/Electric
Line 6 Flextone 2 with Eminence Red Coat The Wizard Speaker
Roland Cube 15 (Practice Amp)
Cry Baby Wah
Hand Built Overdrive Box (From Ts-808 Schematic)
Hand Built Preamp Box
Quote by Mad Marius
Talent is something you're born with.

i agree, and then frequent practice brings skill which is of course more valuable.
...Nothing you've ever...
...Planned on ever turned out...
...The way you planned...

...You're still disappointing them...
Quote by IHATECHILDREN
Any or a combination of, any of the above.

+1 what I was also thinking.
High Cardinal of Zeppelinism PM TheHeartbreaker to join and
"Co-Founder (and Yoda) of the Star Wars Universe. PM me or SethMegadefan to join.

' " The last enemy that shall be destroyed is death"...'-p.269-Deathly Hallows
Talent is just how good you are naturally at something

If you want to be good at guitar the key to it is FOCUS
If you want to be good at anything the key to it is focus.
If you can sit down and practise for half hour, and enjoy it, and learn from it,
your going to be alot better than someone who forces themselves to plays 6 hours and not take anything in from the session

Before starting your practises, take a couple deep breathes, clear your mind and just let the music and learning flow.
Dictionaries ftw.

Seriously though, Talent is something you're born with.

If someone is naturally good at something, you'd say they're talented, correct?

For instance, if you gave a child a piano and by some miracle they started to play Beethoven and they had no prior musical knowledge/practise, you would say they are talented. (or in this case a child prodigy lol)

"As far as we can discern, the sole purpose of human existence is to kindle a light in the darkness of mere being..."

~ C.G. Jung
Quote by Paul Lambeth
Frequent Practice?
That's definately needed; in my opinion talent's not just given to you, as in nobody gets born with a guitar in their hand.

SAY HELLO TO MA LITTLE FWREEEIIIIND!

But, I don't really believe in talent, just practice, so meh.
Quote by Dylan-19
Dictionaries ftw.

Seriously though, Talent is something you're born with.

If someone is naturally good at something, you'd say they're talented, correct?

For instance, if you gave a child a piano and by some miracle they started to play Beethoven and they had no prior musical knowledge/practise, you would say they are talented. (or in this case a child prodigy lol)

But if someone who wasn't born very gifted and started practicing cuz he was a genius in "practicing" and earned his wage through hard work. Would you call him talented?

I know I would.

UG Private Poker Room

UG Poker Group
Join it

╔╗╔═╦╗
║╚╣║║╚╗
╚═╩═╩═╝
i think if God created the universe. he can give you talent, or interest which will develop into great talent, to play guitar, but yea all of the above.
Quote by Incardito
But if someone who wasn't born very gifted and started practicing cuz he was a genius in "practicing" and earned his wage through hard work. Would you call him talented?

I know I would.

Well therein lies the dividing line.

Natural and produced talent.

"As far as we can discern, the sole purpose of human existence is to kindle a light in the darkness of mere being..."

~ C.G. Jung
It's something flamenco aficionados say, that if you don't have spanish blood running in your veins. You'll never really master flamenco, of course 80% of this is utter nonsense but the part that has meaning is spanish.
If you are born in spain and familiar with the compas having heard music that way all your life you won't have as much trouble trying to master playing with it.
Me being an outlander is of course having a harder time with playing it than someone born in spain.
But the fact remains that if you've been familiar with a certain instrument, or style of music since childhood you'll have an easier time doing it. That of course doesn't mean you can't get better that someone doing it all his life you just have to work harder at it.

Also it seems that if the mother is depressed the baby will develop sad brains, if she's happy the baby will get happy brains. I wouldn't be surprised if this worked for more things including music.
Wise Man Says: The guitar is obviously female, she's got hips, breasts... and a hole.
UG's Flamenco Club
Last edited by FretboardToAsh at Aug 25, 2007,
undying desire regardless of anything else

it all takes our free will to some extent and under that theres physical attributes which can affect our free will and beyond that .. who knows if there is anything else and if so, what it is.