ok so my flextone 2 modeling amp is solid state and as most of you know.......solid states lose alot of tone and sound pretty crappy when cranked.......now waht i wanna know is....can i help lessen this issue?......and if so how?....my friend told me to run a distorion pedal in front of it with the level barely turned up....so it can push my amps natural distortion a little and preserve sound....is this a good idea? because i want to get as much volume as i can out of this amp because my band plays some pretty large venues....and also i cant mic the amp so thatts not an option.....and no i cant get a new tube amp unfortunately....as im only 15 and have **** for money....so any help with this issue? thanx ahead of time
-Gear-
Agile 2000
Hand Built Telecaster
Fernandes Acoustic/Electric
Line 6 Flextone 2 with Eminence Red Coat The Wizard Speaker
Roland Cube 15 (Practice Amp)
Cry Baby Wah
Hand Built Overdrive Box (From Ts-808 Schematic)
Hand Built Preamp Box
Sell a couple of your guitars for a better amp, and sell that line 6 at a local store.
With that cash, get a decent tube amp. You could probably find a valveking decently cheap.
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Fender American Deluxe HSS Strat
Chicago Blues Box Roadhouse
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Hughes & Kettner Tube Factor
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
Thank you, you not helping McGees.

TS- No, I don't think there's anything you can do, unfortunately. At gigs, you can keep the volume low and mic it, though.
Quote by Heaven Help Us
ok so my flextone 2 modeling amp is solid state and as most of you know.......solid states lose alot of tone and sound pretty crappy when cranked.......now waht i wanna know is....can i help lessen this issue?......and if so how?....my friend told me to run a distorion pedal in front of it with the level barely turned up....so it can push my amps natural distortion a little and preserve sound....is this a good idea? because i want to get as much volume as i can out of this amp because my band plays some pretty large venues....and also i cant mic the amp so thatts not an option.....and no i cant get a new tube amp unfortunately....as im only 15 and have **** for money....so any help with this issue? thanx ahead of time

Well, if you're playing large venues, mic-ing will be an option. If it's not, that venue sucks.
Quote by dudetheman
So what? I wasted like 5 minutes watching DaddyTwoFoot's avatar.

Metalheads are the worst thing that ever happened to metal.
I'm... .not so.... sure.... but there.... should..... be somebody.... who would be ..... willing to lend you a..... pedal to try it ..... out.... It can't.... hurt... to try ...can it?.....
Guitar rig
Schecter C-1 Classic
Boss GT-8
Mesa 50/50 Power Amp

Synth Rig
M-Audio Oxygen 61
Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Elite Pro
Reason 4.0
FL Studio 8
my dad bought me all of my gear ive only spent about 100$ on gear myself (a few pedals+strings).....and i cant trade my amp in because my dad would be pissed...and also i love its versatilty...so any other options besides new gear...like what my friend suggested....because i love the sound of this amp i just need to be able to crank it to at least 8 without having the tone sucked dry
-Gear-
Agile 2000
Hand Built Telecaster
Cry Baby Wah
Hand Built Preamp Box
Quote by Cynoxx
I'm... .not so.... sure.... but there.... should..... be somebody.... who would be ..... willing to lend you a..... pedal to try it ..... out.... It can't.... hurt... to try ...can it?.....

i actually own a digitech metal master.... i busted the 9v holder but my dads gonna fix it...so im actually going to try that idea asap...i was just seeing if there were other options..or if anyone could support my friends idea with experience
-Gear-
Agile 2000
Hand Built Telecaster
Cry Baby Wah
Hand Built Preamp Box
Quote by Heaven Help Us
my dad bought me all of my gear ive only spent about 100$ on gear myself (a few pedals+strings).....and i cant trade my amp in because my dad would be pissed...and also i love its versatilty...so any other options besides new gear...like what my friend suggested....because i love the sound of this amp i just need to be able to crank it to at least 8 without having the tone sucked dry

You really only bought $100 of it? I'm fifteen and I've paid for every part of my gear except my VJ combo and my first starter pack. Don't you have any way to earn money?
Quote by Heaven Help Us

Not a lot you can do sadly - the problem is that your amp doesn't have "natural" distortion, it's all done with microchips. The pedal trick won't work at all, on a tube amp you can use it to augment the amps distortion. However, with your amp all that happens is you confuse the modelling processor - it expects a relatively clean signal to work with, if you give it something distorted it just corrupts the signal and sounds nasty.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Quote by Heaven Help Us

Then get off your lazy ass and get a job?
Ibanez AFS75/Fender Strat Plus > Fulltone Deja' Vibe > Keeley TS808 MOD+ > Fulltone OCD > VanAmps SoleMate > Metro JTM45
Quote by cokeisbetter
You really only bought $100 of it? I'm fifteen and I've paid for every part of my gear except my VJ combo and my first starter pack. Don't you have any way to earn money?

yes ive only payed for 100$ of it...maybe a bit more like 200$ but other than that thats it....and no i have no way of learning money till i get a job when im 16...but im gonna be saving my money until next year....prob have like 800 by this time next year maybe later....i do play drums in a band that gigs though...and we make some money...but that pays for our gas equipment and when we go out to eat after shows....so yeah...and i wanted my dad to get me a new amp but he says i dont need it....he just keeps getting me more guitars...but he builts me some sweet effect pedals
-Gear-
Agile 2000
Hand Built Telecaster
Cry Baby Wah
Hand Built Preamp Box
Quote by igotabcrich32
Then get off your lazy ass and get a job?

yeah im 15 and i cant work where i live till in 16 only certain places will hire me and no one is needing employees right now...so yeah how bout u dont be a jerk
-Gear-
Agile 2000
Hand Built Telecaster
Cry Baby Wah
Hand Built Preamp Box
Quote by Heaven Help Us
yeah im 15 and i cant work where i live till in 16 only certain places will hire me and no one is needing employees right now...so yeah how bout u dont be a jerk

I wasnt being a jerk, just offering that you should try and get a job, i was washing dishing when i was 15, where do you live? theres ALWAYS a job you can do, whether its an actual job or just mowing lawns or babysitting, look harder or stop complaining
Ibanez AFS75/Fender Strat Plus > Fulltone Deja' Vibe > Keeley TS808 MOD+ > Fulltone OCD > VanAmps SoleMate > Metro JTM45
Quote by Heaven Help Us

Actually, everyone is in need of employees... When school starts, a lot of kids quit or cut down on hours.

I was a dishwasher at 15.... I nomally worked 20 to 30 hour weeks and made over $700 in a month.

In 4 months you could have $3000 and get any amp you wanted.
Member of UG Gain whores.
PM Gpderek09 to join!
Last edited by chase312 at Aug 25, 2007,
Quote by igotabcrich32
I wasnt being a jerk, just offering that you should try and get a job, i was washing dishing when i was 15, where do you live? theres ALWAYS a job you can do, whether its an actual job or just mowing lawns or babysitting, look harder or stop complaining

ok well i took taht offensively sorry...but yeah i live in mass and there is no jobs for 15 year olds so w.e
-Gear-
Agile 2000
Hand Built Telecaster
Cry Baby Wah
Hand Built Preamp Box
Quote by Heaven Help Us
ok well i took taht offensively sorry...but yeah i live in mass and there is no jobs for 15 year olds so w.e

You can most definetelly find a job at 15 in Mass, and whats your band name if you mind me asking (the one where you drum) maybe i've seen a show of yours?
Quote by Heaven Help Us

Lighten up. Nobody here on UG will intentionally offend you. We will, however, be perfectly honest with you.

I don't know if there is a law or something stating that you have to be 16 years old to work in Mass but either way, you can find a way to make money.
Member of UG Gain whores.
PM Gpderek09 to join!
Get gigs, mow lawns, shovel sidewalks (although I suppose that won't help till winter), babysit, do some chores for people you know, or if you really are desperate for cash, sell some random stuff you have sitting around your room. It's not too hard for a kid to get his hands on some money under the table.
Quote by chase312
Lighten up. Nobody here on UG will intentionally offend you. We will, however, be perfectly honest with you.

I don't know if there is a law or something stating that you have to be 16 years old to work in Mass but either way, you can find a way to make money.

Not completely sure about Mass but in CT you can work the cash register at a grovery store at 15, theres definetelly a part time job for you in Mass/
You ... can always ask... one of your dad's... friends if there's any... work... that can be... done... under... the tables for some extra... money...

edit: in NC... you can... work sales... at 14.5 yrs...
Going to Columbia University this fall! Woohoo!
Member of UGPSA: Ultimate-Guitar's Potsmokers Association
Quote by Cynoxx

Quote by wmzbomgzors
You ... can always ask... one of your dad's... friends if there's any... work... that can be... done... under... the tables for some extra... money...

edit: in NC... you can... work sales... at 14.5 yrs...

What the hell is wrong with you people?

The Flextone is a pretty decent amp. You should be able to get decent volume out of it before it goes into digital distortion. I think the main problem here is that you're thinking you need to crank it up to get distortion, and that is just not true. The Flextone is a modeling amp...digital preamp, not SS. You should be able to get the same tone at many different volume levels. Find a decent level and stick with it, then just mic the amp and put it through the PA.
Quote by igotabcrich32
You can most definetelly find a job at 15 in Mass, and whats your band name if you mind me asking (the one where you drum) maybe i've seen a show of yours?

valkyrie 45...were prob one of the worst...but we are getting there..hah
-Gear-
Agile 2000
Hand Built Telecaster
Cry Baby Wah
Hand Built Preamp Box
Quote by TwoString
What the hell is wrong with you people?

The Flextone is a pretty decent amp. You should be able to get decent volume out of it before it goes into digital distortion. I think the main problem here is that you're thinking you need to crank it up to get distortion, and that is just not true. The Flextone is a modeling amp...digital preamp, not SS. You should be able to get the same tone at many different volume levels. Find a decent level and stick with it, then just mic the amp and put it through the PA.

no i know i dont have to crank it i rarely play past 4....its just when i get to like 6 or 7 it loses alot of tone...just not enough volume or presence in it
-Gear-
Agile 2000
Hand Built Telecaster
Cry Baby Wah
Hand Built Preamp Box