I've been studying the Complete Idiot's Guide to music theory, and now I'm on chapter three and I've come across something that doesn't make sense. It says here that each natural minor scale is related to a major scale by going up six notes or going down two (same thing.) So that basically means that it would share the same intervals the major scale does but just in a different order right? WWHWWWH. but then it says that that the pattern for a natural minor scale is WHWWHWW, which really confuses me. It then gives me a list of the 15 natural minor scales, and none of them matches this pattern of WHWWHWW. So what am I missing here?
My Gear:
ESP LTD F-50 Black Cherry Black Hardware
Crate XT10 10watt amp
More to come soon
Member of the Guitarists Born in 1990 Club. PM Gibson_God11 to Join.
When they say start on the 6th note of a major scale they mean like this:

W - H - W - W - H - W - W 

6 - 7 - 1 - 2 - 3 - 4 - 5 

Does that make sense?

My Guitars:
Fender Mustang.
Yamaha FG-413SL.
Well using C major for example, C D E F G A B C, you go to the sixth note: A. So A minor is A B C D E F G, right? That matches the pattern. Does that help?

Did the book explain that B to C and E to F are only half steps?
To see a World in a Grain of Sand
And a Heaven in a Wild Flower
Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand
And Eternity in an hour
The major and the minor scale does have the same intervals, but their are beginning at two different places within the intervals. Ian4444 explained it really well.
CLICK ME!

Gibson Les Paul Classic '05
JEH Custom Superstrat '07
Rickenbacker 480 '73
Marshall 6100LM head '95
Engl E412SS 4*12" cab '02
Line6 DL-4 '07
Ibanez TS9 '08
Dunlop Crybaby from hell '07
Boss CE-2 '79
Quote by lil-matee
what is a solo?
Quote by Septerra
It then gives me a list of the 15 natural minor scales, and none of them matches this pattern of WHWWHWW. So what am I missing here?
Maybe your looking at the notes in the wrong order?
Maybe they're not natural minor but harmonic minor or melodic minor or hungarian minor or even the other minor modes (dorian and phrygian)?

Most likely its that you read it wrong and its not a natural minor. There are only 12 natural minor scales, A Bb B C C# D Eb E F F# G Ab (I'm talking about just aeolian and not enharmonic scales).

And your right about everything else though. Although I remember the relative minor as 3 semitones down and not 2 diatonic notes down.
        |\
[U]        | |                     [/U]
[U]        |/     .-.              [/U]
[U]       /|_     `-’       |      [/U]
[U]      //| \      |       |      [/U]
[U]     | \|_ |     |     .-|      [/U]
      *-|-*    (_)     `-’
        |
        L.