Hey guys, I recently got my new Mesa Boogie and it sounds FANTASTIC, I was just wondering, I should probably get some new guitar cables soon, as right now my setup goes like this.

Express 5:25 > Hosa guitar cable > guitar

or sometimes when I feel like bringing the wah in it'll go

Express 5:25 > Hosa guitar cable > Weeping Demon > custom made cable by my dad's electrician friend > guitar

I actually haven't even tried my Mesa with the wah yet as I just got it a couple days ago, but basically I'm gonna get some new cables. The Hosa one was 10 or 15 bucks so I'm not sure it's the greatest quality... and while the hand made cables is probably good, it has gigantic ends that make it impossible to go to my guitar if I place it in there (strat output jack). To keep it simple, I just want to get two cables of the same brand, something good quality that'll let my Mesa shine through, but I probably don't need the very best of the best... cables.

In addition, I plan on adding to my effects in the coming months, so I was wondering if I should get some jumper cables as well. Thanks in advance.
Well...I use the gold tipped Monster cables and they sound very nice, not to mention they don't get all tangled up because the cable is made out of a harder plastic and isn't as easy to twist. I'd also recommend Mogami cables, awesome cables, but can get a bit pricey.

But honestly...unless you're an absolute purist, cheap cables will work, as long as they're not really crappy, there's usually not THAT much of a difference in sound between cables.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Are Hosa's considered really crappy? I mean, I've had no problems with it, I just have this feeling that I'm missing out on something because it was so cheap. >_>
I've got a combination on Monster and Planet Waves gold tipped cables. They're pricey, but with them you know you're not going to have to buy another guitar cable in your life because of their lifelong warranty.
Gear:
Gibson X-Plorer Studio Yellow
Orange Tiny Terror
Orange PPC-112 Cab (2 stacked - 1 open backed)
MXR Phase 90
Fulltone OCD
I use Planet Wave
President of the Guitarists Born In 1991 Club. PM blues rocker or I to join

Quote by RadioHead22
I love you greendayguitar
In a non- gay, awkward-man-hug way
Quote by JoeBender
Are Hosa's considered really crappy? I mean, I've had no problems with it, I just have this feeling that I'm missing out on something because it was so cheap. >_>

No idea really, I've never heard of them
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
I was actually considering a new cable too, I need a right-angle one because of my firebird..

flickr you might
Quote by MrCarrot
Oranges are actually a revolution though - they're the next step from Rectos IMO.
Planet Wave right angled 20 ft on ebay for $15 new...I was just checking some out last night
^^I'm in the UK.

flickr you might
Quote by MrCarrot
Oranges are actually a revolution though - they're the next step from Rectos IMO.
I dont think so, they are said to sound better, but probably no one but the absolute purist wil ever notice.
My Gear :
Fender American Strat in Metallic Red
EHX Big Muff
Boss ME-50
Boss SD-1
Fender 15 Watt Amp (Upgrade soon to a Marshall )
Red Furry guitar strap

John Frusciante - The Greatest Guitarist EVER
^Gold doesn't corrode. It doesn't have anything to do with the sound.

Monster cables are a gimmick. They're horribly expensive, and they're actually not very good.

I use George L's with Neutrik connectors. Great cable, and the best connectors I've ever used.
I'm in the UK and I use Venoms. They seem good to me, the ends on them are completely metal so they are quite robust.
Schecter C1 Classic Left Handed
Line 6 POD HD500
Peavey Valveking 112
Quote by mr_hankey
^Gold doesn't corrode. It doesn't have anything to do with the sound.

Monster cables are a gimmick. They're horribly expensive, and they're actually not very good.

I use George L's with Neutrik connectors. Great cable, and the best connectors I've ever used.

it certainly has something to do with the sound in Hi Fi sound equipment and such
i'm not sure if they provide better sound for guitar amp realted stuff though, but hey, your mr hankey, you're probably right
Quote by The red Strat.
it certainly has something to do with the sound in Hi Fi sound equipment and such
i'm not sure if they provide better sound for guitar amp realted stuff though, but hey, your mr hankey, you're probably right

I don't know whether gold is a better conductor than nickel or chrome, but it certainly corrodes slower, which is the main (or only) advantage.
I wouldn't go for the cheaper leads, I have these made by planet waves, they're really good quality and they have a built in mute switch.

Click.
i use george l cables and i love them. then again i got mine at a discount...
Quote by yorkshireterror
Dunlop's got the right idea
Oh yeah, only took me a few months
Founder of the "I Support Robert Keeley Mods," if you like them too, put this in your sig!

i <3 breakdowns
Quote by DunlopGuy
i use george l cables and i love them.

*high-fives* I don't like the solderless connectors, though.
i have 2 monster cables, and they are very nice. 20 bucks apiece. ive also used my sisters planet waves cable (she plays violin.) and it was nice. i got sick of all those cheap cables that kepy shorting out, so i invested a little coin in some decent cables.
Quote by Soma3009
I came up with this kick ass riff on my ukelele when I was 12. Find out two years later, it was smoke on the water. Got my hopes and dreams killed..

Quote by saintjimmy99
you used the right form of "their!" i commend you sir!

Quote by mr_hankey
I don't know whether gold is a better conductor than nickel or chrome, but it certainly corrodes slower, which is the main (or only) advantage.

hell yeah they're a better conductor ! it's much more noticable in Hi Fi stuff though.
I got a monster cable as a gift, and then I bought a $22 Pro Co "Lifeline" cable that was 15 feet. It was the cheapest nice cable I could fine on musicians friend.
Guitar:
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Amplifier:
Fender Blues Junior - Eminence Red, White and Blues
Effects:
Fulltone OCD
Electro-Harmonix Nano Small Stone
Ibanez DE-7 Delay/Echo
Dunlop Crybaby
Electro-Harmonix Big Muff Pi
I have a six year old CBI Goldrush that still works like a champ though I guess I've kind of retired it. I use one 20' and three 10' Mogami Platinum cables as primary signal cables, and two 4' dual RCA Monsters for the Kaoss pad (not fond of the Monsters, but options are limited when looking for decent quality RCA cables).

EDIT: And I have no idea what kind of speaker cable I'm using, but it's stupid thick and sounds better than anything else I've tried.
ESP LTD EC-256 and a Fender Deluxe VM
Quote by mr_hankey
*high-fives* I don't like the solderless connectors, though.

yes, those are most likely just to make them more expensive lol
Quote by yorkshireterror
Dunlop's got the right idea
Oh yeah, only took me a few months
Founder of the "I Support Robert Keeley Mods," if you like them too, put this in your sig!

i <3 breakdowns
cheap cables are fine at home. but in the studio and for gigging custom is the only way to go IMO. got all mine done by a local audio engineer and he uses the best quality components and handmakes some of them. wires them all up by hand and they sound phenomenal.they are extremely well made and the chances of them ever breaking are slim to none. anyone who says you cant tell the difference between cables has never tried a great high end cable.
monsters add this really muddy low end and boost frequencies all over the place, yuck. my cables push much more of the original signal through UNTOUCHED. not only that, i noticed my guitar is much more responsive playing through these cables. they are cheaper too. i can get about 3 cables made for what monster would charge for just one of the same length. ill never use generic cables again.
George L's are considered to be the best IMO, however for a slightly less costly solution, I recommend planet waves. They are a great quality cable, the best for the money IMO. And they are very durable.

As far as the whole gold plating issue. Gold is a good conductor of heat and electricity. The reason they are only plated is because 1oz of gold can probably plate at least 1000 tips which is a heck of a lot cheaper than making the entire cable gold, and they only coat the points of contact for obvious reasons, being that it's likely to be the weakest point in the chain and in order to insure good connection its a smart idea. Also gold is not affected by air; heat, moisture, oxygen, and most corrosive agents have very little chemical effect on gold.
Quote by CL/\SH

Quote by sanitarium1
...for the gigs im going to be playing its going to be 60% tone and 40% stage look, and I'd like the look of my rig to be able to back up its sound.

No.
No.
NO.
GOD DAMMIT NO.
Last edited by FrenchBread at Aug 26, 2007,
Hey does anyone know about ampltubes Stealth Cable that has a usb plug in for your computer? becase i am thinking about buying but the im worried that the software is crap or is it good recording software?
I use $10 Peaveys
FOR AWESOME HANDWOUND PICKUPS, CONTACT CorduroyEW
BOOBS
Quote by ratmblink123
Good for you. Have a cookie.

But really... there's no cookie. And if there was, you wouldn't get one.
Quote by CORT noob
I use $10 Peaveys

Dont feel too bad, Im using a Soundlab cable LOL
The Monster company is run by a bunch of assholes. Don't buy those .
Recognized by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
Quote by utsapp89
^I'd let a pro look at it. Once you get into the technicalities of screws...well, it's just a place you don't want to be, friend.
Quote by The red Strat.
hell yeah they're a better conductor ! it's much more noticable in Hi Fi stuff though.

uh, gold isn't used 'cause it's a better conductor, it's used because it doesn't corrode as fast. gold tips do not sound better than other connectors, it's all about the quality if the cable itself, the shielding, etc.
Quote by skudmunk
uh, gold isn't used 'cause it's a better conductor, it's used because it doesn't corrode as fast. gold tips do not sound better than other connectors EDIT in guitar amplifying situations , it's all about the quality if the cable itself, the shielding, etc.

yeah i know, no need to point that out for me
Quote by skudmunk
uh, gold isn't used 'cause it's a better conductor, it's used because it doesn't corrode as fast. gold tips do not sound better than other connectors, it's all about the quality if the cable itself, the shielding, etc.

I'm not saying that the conductive properties of gold are the reason for use in plating guitar cables,
but it is a fact that gold is a good conductor of both heat and electricity.
Quote by CL/\SH

Quote by sanitarium1
...for the gigs im going to be playing its going to be 60% tone and 40% stage look, and I'd like the look of my rig to be able to back up its sound.

No.
No.
NO.
GOD DAMMIT NO.