Page 1 of 42
Slight Warning: Some pictures in this thread might not be good for the squeemish, so proceed with your own discretion.

So I was reading about the hubble telescope in another thread and how important the pictures it takes can be to our society and how we understand our universe, and a bit of nostalgia popped into my head. Some of you older members may remember back in '04 Bucky started a (IMO) legendary thread on UG with much the same title as this. That thread contained pages upon pages of interesting, influential, and moving photos that I think everyone learned a thing or two from.

I'm going to get the ball rolling again on this thread so the new members can take part in it and hopefully learn something. Hopefully it's as succesful as the last two versions.

The idea is to post pictures that have affected society in good ways or bad and ones that you personally find moving. Maybe give a little description underneath the picture so the reader knows what's going on.

I'll kick it off with a couple obvious ones:

"The Tiananman Square Guy

Popularly known as the Tank Man, or the Unknown Rebel, this anonymous man became famous when he pictures of him standing down a column of tanks with just his shopping bag. In April 1998, the United States magazine TIME included the "Unknown Rebel" in its 100 most influential people of the 20th century. It is easily one of the most famous pictures in the world.

Iwo Jima was the one of the bloodiest battles in Marine Corps history. Of the 70,000 marines that hit the beach, 6,281 never left alive and a further 19,217 were wounded. Yet more than a quarter of all the Medals of Honor, given to Marines in World War II were for this epic clash. Up to World War II, every generation of Marines had to fight for the Marine Corps right to exist. So when the Navy Secretary, James Forrestal saw the first flag raising on Mt Suribachi and knowing the cost in blood to get it there he said to Marine commander, Holland "Howlin' Mad" Smith "the raising of that flag on Suribachi means a Marine Corps for the next 500 years."

After completing their 200 metre race on the evening of October 17, 1968, American athlete Smith, who won the race in a then world record time of 19.83 seconds, with Australia's Peter Norman second with a time of 20.06 seconds and American Carlos in third place with a time of 20.10 seconds, went to collect their medals at the podium. The two American athletes received their medals shoeless, but wearing black socks, to represent black poverty. [1] Smith wore a black scarf around his neck to represent black pride [2] and Carlos wore a string of beads, to commemorate black people who had been lynched.[3] All three athletes wore OPHR (Olympic Project for Human Rights) badges, after Norman expressed sympathy with their ideals. Carlos had forgotten his black gloves, but Norman suggested that they share Smith's pair, with Smith wearing the right glove and Carlos the left. When the Star Spangled Banner played, Smith and Carlos delivered the salute with heads bowed, a gesture which became front page news around the world. As they left the podium they were booed by the crowd.[4] Smith later said "If I win, I am American, not a black American. But if I did something bad, then they would say I am a Negro. We are black and we are proud of being black. Black America will understand what we did tonight."

Please try to keep this a civil thread. No *********, icy hot, barrel rolls, tits, gtfo's, none of that. Thanks.
Last edited by wilty00 at Aug 25, 2007,
Any hockey fan knows the significance behind this picture. It's the most famous image in the history of the game.

Edit: ^ There was, but I believe it's gone now.
Yellowknife, Northwest Territories
Quote by paulvxD

hahahahahahahahahaha
**RIP In the Van on the Comeback Road**

Quote by confusius
You're going to have to go to the doctor. He is going to ram his finger up your ass and the rest you can imagine. It will be severly painful you are most likely to die in the process. Enjoy.
Quote by StageLife30
the one to define our generation:

wow that makes 1 sad ****in generation for us then..
Oh my fucking god. You idiots ruined a thread that could've been as legendary as the original..oh, sorry, I forgot, UG is nothing more than a bunch of morons now.

All of you, *REPORTED*

Edit: ^ Not including that guy of course, seems like he gets what the thread is about.
the cat playing the cello is the best
Quote by aradine
i wish i got disowned by my grandparents so i could stay home tommorow and fap.

Guitars:
Ibanez RG350EX

Amps:
Vox Valvetronix 30

For some reason this always sticks out in my mind. A monk set himself on fire in protest and didn't even flinch in the flames.
Quote by danilo19

For some reason this always sticks out in my mind. A monk set himself on fire in protest and didn't even flinch in the flames.

That guy has balls.

Probably won't have any by the time that fires gone..
Quote by danilo19

Definitely a favorite of mine as well.

June 11, 1963, Thich Quang Duc, a Buddhist monk from Vietnam, burned himself to death at a busy intersection in downtown Saigon to bring attention to the repressive policies of the Catholic Diem regime that controlled the South Vietnamese government at the time. Buddhist monks asked the regime to lift its ban on flying the traditional Buddhist flag, to grant Buddhism the same rights as Catholicism, to stop detaining Buddhists and to give Buddhist monks and nuns the right to practice and spread their religion.
Quote by danilo19

everyone in the backround is looking away
C2B3
Colnel Claypool's Bucket of Bernie Brains

Quote by larry jones
I don't put people's quotes in my sig, but this would go there if I did.
Can some one explain the ice hockey one?

Quote by dogismycopilot
Absent Mind, words cant express how much i love you. Id bone you, oh yea.

Quote by lumberjack
Absent Mind is, as usual, completely correct.

Quote by littlemurph7976
Id like to make my love for Neil public knowledge as he is a beautiful man
Care about the Royal family or not, Princess Diana's funeral was influential

The first successful flight at Kitty Hawk. A truly inspirational moment:

Quote by denizenz
I'll logic you right in the thyroid.

Art & Lutherie

On July 20, 1969, Neil Armstrong put his left foot on the rocky Moon. It was the first human footprint on the Moon. They had taken TV cameras with them. The first footprints on the Moon will be there for a million years. There is no wind to blow them away.

Soviet Union soldiers Raqymzhan Qoshqarbaev and Georgij Bulatov raising the flag on the roof of Reichstag building in Berlin, Germany in May, 1945.
Quote by Liberation
Care about the Royal family or not, Princess Diana's funeral was influential

What was so special about her besides that she was a Princess? What's all the hype about her?
holy **** on the monk one... anyone have any more pics/details on that? thats amazing
<Raven> I got so baked last night
<Raven> that I WOKE UP high o_o
<Raven> Do you have any idea how euphoric that is?
<Raven> I felt like I was being born.
Quote by Absent Mind
Can some one explain the ice hockey one?

He went on to lead the Bruins in a march through the playoffs that culminated on May 10, 1970, when he scored one of the most famous goals in hockey history to give Boston its first Stanley Cup in 29 years. The subsequent image of Orr flying through the air, his arms raised in victory—he had been tripped by Blues' defenseman Noel Picard at the moment of shooting—became a prize-winning photograph and is arguably the most famous and recognized hockey image of all time.

It's even more important because he was arguably the most talented player to ever play the game, but he had his career cut short at 31 years old because of a knee injury.

The first photo.
C2B3

Quote by larry jones
Quote by human-blasphamy

The first photo.

What's that? It's kinda fuzzy..
Red Sox Winning the World Series

(Invalid img)

I'll give more later.
brnh.bandcamp.com
Quote by paulvxD
What was so special about her besides that she was a Princess? What's all the hype about her?

She wasn't snotty or stuck up, and the whole world loved her.
I'm a person.

dont know why but it gets me whenever I look at it
C2B3

Quote by larry jones
Quote by paulvxD

i couldnt possibly tell you all the things she did for other people. she was like mother teresa but pretty.
I Pwn, take those off.. I'm not sure if the mods will like those pics

Quote by human-blasphamy
x
dont know why but it gets me whenever I look at it

That's just creepy..

Quote by StageLife30
i couldnt possibly tell you all the things she did for other people. she was like mother teresa but pretty.

Ahh, ok. I never heard of the things she did for other people. I thought she was just a princess
^ There's nothing wrong with those photos, I think they're very important pictures to have in this thread, especially the holocaust one. Wilty might want to put a warning in the first post that some of the images in here might be controversial.
Quote by paulvxD
What's that? It's kinda fuzzy..

It's exactly what he said: The first photo.
Quote by paulvxD
I Pwn, take those off.. I'm not sure if the mods will like those pics

That's just creepy..

The mods were alright with them in the last thread, they are gross, but you can't tell me that's not powerful.

Unless you were talking about the red sox, then fuck you!
brnh.bandcamp.com