im pretty sure he only used solid state amps

Dinobot of the Predacons Beast Wars Club
PM NightmareXT To Join!

Quote by Stephen Colbert
Now the obvious question here is...

Who's fucking the ponies?

Quote by drop-dead666
Get.. Like he suggested, P-90's. Or you can just buy a hello kitty guitar.
I don't personally know anything about John Paul Jones' gear but form what my ears are telling me I would say a chunky P-bass is the best idea. Sounds like lot of bass, a touch of mids and middling treble. It also sounds like there might be a touch of overdrive but that good be just aggressive playing. No there is definitely some distortion of some kind.
He used either his '62 Jazz or a '53 P-Bass. Back then, he used Acoustic 360's. My bet here is he is using his P-Bass with the amp's fuzz on. Live, he would use the P-Bass. However, if you have definite proof, please let me know, as I was always curious myself.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
Quote by thefitz
He used either his '62 Jazz or a '53 P-Bass. Back then, he used Acoustic 360's. My bet here is he is using his P-Bass with the amp's fuzz on. Live, he would use the P-Bass. However, if you have definite proof, please let me know, as I was always curious myself.

This is completely right, but let´s not forget he also used flatwounds.
Quote by watchingmefall
This is completely right, but let´s not forget he also used flatwounds.

Yeah, but the distortion is the missing ingredient. The tone on Black Dog... Out On The Tiles... and a few others.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
Quote by thefitz
Live, he would use the P-Bass.

Not exclusively though.
Founder of Jaco society

[22:08:23] <Confusius> I wish I was a bassist
[22:08:26] <Confusius> you fuckers look cool

Want to know how to play bass in jazz? Read this.
^early days, yes. but after he retired that and the J-bass, he got like custom ones.

as for his sound, acoustic speakers help. my friend has'em. they're pretty darn decent.
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Custom Hand-wired Amplifiers and Effect Pedals.

Est. 2007

Source to everything I say about Guitars, Pedals, and Amplifiers: I make them.

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
^Not even in the early days did he use the P-bass exclusively live, I have plenty of live videos where he plays his J. And he only "retired" the basses in a live situation for his Alembic, he still recorded quite a bit with the J.
Founder of Jaco society

^yes indeed. like the '69 black/white clip. that one he played a J.
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Custom Hand-wired Amplifiers and Effect Pedals.

Est. 2007

Source to everything I say about Guitars, Pedals, and Amplifiers: I make them.

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
Quote by sinan90
^Not even in the early days did he use the P-bass exclusively live, I have plenty of live videos where he plays his J. And he only "retired" the basses in a live situation for his Alembic, he still recorded quite a bit with the J.

He would play the J-Bass mostly, but I've only seen him play the Immigrant Song with his strange all-brown P-Bass.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I've read somewhere that he used a fretless P live sometimes but I've yet to see any evidence of this.
Founder of Jaco society

Quote by sinan90
I've read somewhere that he used a fretless P live sometimes but I've yet to see any evidence of this.

LIAR! LIAR!!!!!!

Watch the Led Zeppelin DVD. On 'In My Time of Dying', he uses a fretless Precision.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
*Goes to watch Led Zeppelin DVD, glad of an excuse*
Founder of Jaco society

well first you have to be english, then oyu have to be crazy at the piano, organ, synthesizer...pretty much any instrument involving keys, then you have to spend the weekend with jimmy page to learn from him, then once you have his secret of time travel go back in time and d-block John Paul Jones' amp and gear. Once his stuff is retreved get back to the future as soon as possible, for JPJ will try and put a hex on you. If he does you can simply remove it with some holy water. Once in the future learn dazed and confused, and since JPJ doenst have any gear he wont be able to record it, so you record it and make alot of money. you know you have succeeded once this forum changes from how to get JPJs tone to how to get *your name hre* tone.

now when oyu go back in time youll need to bring one postage stamp, a spear, a rolling chair, 3 asprin, and a cake. once your there youll ned to take the asprin imediatly to stop you from getting a headache. then mail the cake to JPJ so he'll be distracted. Then sit in the rolling chair and use the spear to get to his house. once there take his gear, kill his evil henchman and come back to the future (COPYRIGHT INFRINGMENT).

alright that just about wraps everything up, good luck and god speed.
My name is Greg, use it.

Sarcastic

Angry

Hopeful