the black standard
GEAR

Ibanez GRG170DX
Peavey 75wtt
Kingston vintage 1960
Vintage 1973 Fender Acoustic

VINTAGE 1960 KINGSTON AMP!!!!! (------- my love <33

HAIL MIGHTY SLASH!!!
the only 1 ive ever heard people talking bad about was the Zakk wylde Lp and i have no idea why its a nice guitar.it is thivker and heavier than most epi lps but its neice esp for metal cuase it has a deeper tone.
i have an epi les paul standard with a transparant black finish... excellent tone, sustain, and pretty much good for any type of music... plus u look pretty good playing one
From everything I've seen, the Elitists are considered to be almost as good as a Gibson. They are made in Japan.

Check http://www.guitardaterproject.org/default.aspx. They can look up serial numbers so you'll know where the guitar was made. Made in Japan = Elitist if made March 2003 or later. Any MIJ Epi before March 2003 is not an Elitist but is probably just as good. The Wikipedia entry on Epi's gives you some information on serial numbers as well.

From what I've read here and elsewhere, the lower end Epi's are good guitars too. Just not AS good as the Elitist or a true blue Gibson.

I'm still shopping for my first serious rig (playing a POS backwards strung Squire) One guitar I'm hoping to find is a lefty Elitist.
Oh, one other thing.

Just remember that the AMP is still more important. Even my POS Squire Bullet sounds decent on my VOX AD50VT.
yeah epiphones are nice. i have a standard in honey burst and its been alright, really easy to set up compared to a strat, you might want to upgrade some parts later, like I'm going to get '57's or burstbuckers hopefully and do some jimmy page style wiring
Epis are good. I think their playability is on par with Gibsons. The only difference is the tone, and that's subjective. An Epi won't give you the same tone as a Gibson, but some people just prefer the tone of the Epi.

That said, Gibsons are really, really nice, too.
Quote by marmoseti
Mastering your instrument is being able to play whatever you hear in your head, unhindered by inadequate technique. After that, it's all about what you've got to say, so there would be no "best," just a bunch of people saying exactly what they mean.
The thing with Epi LP's is that they vary quite a lot from model to model. Some use an alder/mahogany body makeup which is just a thin piece of mahogany on the back and then alder for the rest of the body. It's not exactly a bad thing, but its not exactly LP tone either. If you want more of an LP tone go for the Plain Top or Quilt Top. They both have an all mahogany body which will get a lot closer to true LP tone. Alternatively you can look at some other LP copies like Agile, Tokai, Edwards, etc...

That being said, I'm more than pleased with mine. The stock pickups are kind meh... a swap does wonders though. Plays very nicely as well.
An alternative (which is far better IMO) would be taking a look at Agile guitars. They have some sick Les Paul copies made better than most Epiphones and they are much cheaper. The only problem is that you will have a hard time trying one since they are sold online. A lot of guys (including me) swear by em and plus the place that sells em has a good return policy.

http://www.rondomusic.net/al3000prest.html

That one there probably smokes all non-Elitist Epi's and it won't kill your wallet
Quote by Axecutioner
An alternative (which is far better IMO) would be taking a look at Agile guitars. They have some sick Les Paul copies made better than most Epiphones and they are much cheaper. The only problem is that you will have a hard time trying one since they are sold online. A lot of guys (including me) swear by em and plus the place that sells em has a good return policy.

http://www.rondomusic.net/al3000prest.html

That one there probably smokes all non-Elitist Epi's and it won't kill your wallet

go epiphone
the Agile AL bodies are either all mahogany or on some higher end models are mahogany with a maple cap (the same wood combo as the LP) whereas Epi LPs are mahogany and alder.

As far as weight goes it depends on the individual guitar since a piece of wood can vary in weight but overall the Agile is probably 10-11 lbs which should be around the weight of a real LP.

Both guitars are most likely made in the same factory too, but higher end Agiles use better materials (ebony fretboard, nice Alnico V pickups, braided wiring, etc)

And all of the guys that usually think Epis are so much better have probably never had time on an Agile.

You could get an Agile and upgrade the pickups to whatever you want (SDs, Gibsons, etc) for the price of an Epi and probably get a much closer tone to the real deal than an Epi.
personally im not a fan of the dodgy sandwiched body epiphones. If you want a good quality les paul copy, Tokai, Burny, Orville or Edwards is where its at.
Peavey 5150, LTD EX400BD, tubescreamer, and a whole lotta fingers
It'll probably do the job as good as a midrange Epi, but if you have the extra cash for a 3000 it's worth it. The ceramic pickups on the AL-2000 would probably need to be replaced to get that classic warm n thick tone properly.
what do you guys think of les paul customs??
Quote by RetroGunslinger
this is like comparing a flushing toilet to a hole in the ground
Epiphones are pretty "meh" in my opinion (other than the Elitists ). Not the greatest build quality, and pretty poor pickups and electronics.

If you *are* set on getting an Epi LP, get the Standard Plain Top; it's body is all mahogany as opposed to the others which are alder/mahogany.

I'd suggest an Agile over the Epiphones; better value.

I'd suggest a Michael Kelly Patriot over the Agiles, though. Amazingly well built, nice pickups, and very comfortable to play.
Recognized by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
Quote by utsapp89
^I'd let a pro look at it. Once you get into the technicalities of screws...well, it's just a place you don't want to be, friend.
Last edited by FacingUsAll at Aug 26, 2007,