I came across an old Mexican Strat that I just cleaned up and restrung. I am pretty good at set ups but I cannot get the low e string to ring clear. It sounds very muffled, almost like it is palm muted. I adjusted the truss rod and have evan rasied the action but with no luck. Could this guitar need refretted or could the nut need replacing? I have never ran across this problem before that I could not correct doing the things mentioned above. Any one have any advice?

Thanks
maybe you need to tune the pickups?
Guitars:
Parkwood PW320M
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Epiphone C-40 willie nelson signature
Squier Strat
Some beat up acoustic from '68

Amps:
Vox Ad50vt
Crate xt15r

Effects:
Vox Clyde McCoy Wah
Not familiar with tuning the pickups. This happens acousticall as well though. Thanks for the reply.
Quote by okinky
is it like that on every pickup position?

Yeah. This is driving me batty. The guitar plays really well and looks great. I put a set of SIT 10s on it. I had to adjust the tremolo because it floated up. DO you think a heavire low e might help. The SIT low e os a .46?
AHA! I found the problem! The nut is cracked under the low E string. .
Now, any ideas on where to get a new nut and how much $ they are?
Get an Earvana nut .
Recognized by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
Quote by utsapp89
^I'd let a pro look at it. Once you get into the technicalities of screws...well, it's just a place you don't want to be, friend.
^haha.

a drop of glue, and a small file can fix a cracked nut.

to swap out for plastic is about $25.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011